ALBirds
Received From Subject
5/12/24 1:46 pm Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...> [ALbirds] Mourning Warbler Cahaba River Hoover
5/10/24 5:52 pm Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Today's fallout
5/10/24 12:16 pm Lawrence Gardella via groups.io <lfgardella...> Re: [ALbirds] It ain't over till it's over!
5/10/24 8:21 am Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...> Re: [ALbirds] It ain't over till it's over!
5/10/24 7:59 am Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] It ain't over till it's over!
5/3/24 8:11 am Jay Pitocchelli via groups.io <jpitocch...> [ALbirds] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
4/26/24 7:43 pm Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] BirdingApp.com
4/26/24 6:54 pm Skip Smith via groups.io <Skipfly1...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 2:52 pm Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 2:14 pm Drew Haffenden via groups.io <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 12:00 pm Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 11:54 am Grace via groups.io <larwood...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 11:43 am Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 11:41 am Melinda W via groups.io <Modoodle1989...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 11:34 am Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 10:52 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 10:34 am Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> [ALbirds] RBA chat
4/26/24 8:46 am Mason Currier via groups.io <masonacurrier...> [ALbirds] Remaining Pelagic Spaces
4/25/24 10:32 pm Harold Dean via groups.io <hdean...> [ALbirds] Mute Swan at Town Creek Marsh
4/25/24 8:30 am Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...> [ALbirds] B’ham airport
4/24/24 11:32 am Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...> Re: [ALbirds] Musings on Fallouts
4/23/24 8:03 pm Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...> Re: [ALbirds] Musings on Fallouts
4/23/24 7:24 pm Drew Haffenden via groups.io <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] Musings on Fallouts
4/23/24 2:10 pm Eric Soehren via groups.io <esoehren...> [ALbirds] Vacant Breeding Bird Survey Routes - Seeking Volunteers (2024)
4/23/24 1:05 pm Collin Stempien via groups.io <cstempien40...> [ALbirds] Musings on Fallouts
4/21/24 7:24 pm Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Summary of today's fallout at Ft. Pickens
4/21/24 5:34 am Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] fallout coming
4/20/24 6:32 pm Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Birding prospects
4/20/24 7:10 am Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...> [ALbirds] Bells Vireo
4/20/24 6:16 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
4/19/24 11:20 am Gregory J. Harber via groups.io <gharber...> Re: [ALbirds] Painted Bunting
4/19/24 10:33 am LINDA HENCKELL via groups.io <beaumama...> [ALbirds] Painted Bunting
4/19/24 8:07 am <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...> [ALbirds] fyi - Semi-rare bird report to eBird
4/19/24 7:13 am <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 6:41 pm Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 5:22 pm Scott Gravette via groups.io <inadu4...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 5:09 pm Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 12:35 pm Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 11:55 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
4/17/24 11:38 am Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass...> [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
4/17/24 7:36 am Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 6:10 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 4:24 am Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 6:04 pm Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 3:28 pm Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 12:12 pm Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification

Back to top
Date: 5/12/24 1:46 pm
From: Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Mourning Warbler Cahaba River Hoover
AL Birders:

While taking a walk a few minutes ago at the Cahaba Riverchase Greenway Park, Debi and I heard a Mourning Warbler. Bird sang clearly at close range in low shrubbery near the river. Couldn’t relocate for a visual and it stopped singing after a couple of bursts.

Great Mourning habitat in that nice little park, have been looking for them along this part of the river for years. This is peak time for them too. Nice to finally have success here.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson
Birmingham, AL

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 5:52 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Today's fallout
Hi all,
Well, it did materialize! Good numbers of birds were reported from Daphne AL and Ft. Pickens and we had them here in Gulf Breeze. Large numbers of YB Cuckoos were counted, probably many more than reported. This species winters in South America as far as Argentina and is generally a late Spring migrant. Also reported were good numbers of Red-eyed Vireos. Warblers made a showing but not in large numbers. So the Eastern Kingbirds I saw this morning (also wintering as far south as Bolivia where Lucy and I watched them eating fruit with Tropical Kingbirds at the Viru Viru airport in Santa Cruz) were the vanguard of a movement.
Birds were not tired and moved in waves over the treetops, sometimes stopping briefly. Heads up for more stormy weather is forecast for early next week.
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 12:16 pm
From: Lawrence Gardella via groups.io <lfgardella...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] It ain't over till it's over!
Fallout conditions were also present in our yard in Daphne, Baldwin
County. We enjoyed at least 9 species of warbler, including great views of
Bay-breasted Warblers (the most common), Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Black-throated Green, Yellow, and Blackburnian and one Philadelphia in
amongst a group of Red-eyeds. The birds seemed to move in waves, so the
actual numbers of individuals may have far exceeded the numbers I recorded
in eBird at https://ebird.org/checklist/S173244093 . The show continued
from 10:00 am until 1 pm, and there are still some birds in the hickory.

I love getting great looks at male warblers in the spring when they are at
their best. I just didn't expect the looks to come in our own backyard;

Larry Gardella
Daphne

On Fri, May 10, 2024, 9:59 AM Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan=
<bellsouth.net...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have fallout conditions occurring now along the coast as a heavy squall
> line is over us. The rain does not extend into the Gulf any distance but
> this is enough to put birds down. They had light to moderate S or SW winds
> during the night, so they could be headed toward the NW FL - AL coasts.
> Yes, it IS late for migrants but birds can still occur in small trickle
> outs well into May. But if memory serves me correctly, we had a classic
> type fallout as late as 12 May, mostly late migrants. Today's condition
> extends all the way to about St. Marks NWR.
>
> The presence of about 7 Eastern Kingbirds on the point that juts into
> Pensacola Bay near my house before the storms hit tells me birds were
> flying last night. Will there be more to follow?
>
> Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, FL
>
> --
> Lucy and Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, Florida

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 8:21 am
From: Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...>
Hope so!

On Fri, May 10, 2024, 10:59 AM Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io
<RobertADuncan...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have fallout conditions occurring now along the coast as a heavy squall
> line is over us. The rain does not extend into the Gulf any distance but
> this is enough to put birds down. They had light to moderate S or SW winds
> during the night, so they could be headed toward the NW FL - AL coasts.
> Yes, it IS late for migrants but birds can still occur in small trickle
> outs well into May. But if memory serves me correctly, we had a classic
> type fallout as late as 12 May, mostly late migrants. Today's condition
> extends all the way to about St. Marks NWR.
>
> The presence of about 7 Eastern Kingbirds on the point that juts into
> Pensacola Bay near my house before the storms hit tells me birds were
> flying last night. Will there be more to follow?
>
> Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, FL
>
> --
> Lucy and Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, Florida

Back to top

Date: 5/3/24 8:11 am
From: Jay Pitocchelli via groups.io <jpitocch...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

I am posting my annual opportunity to participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs. I am trying to determine the nature of migratory pathways taken by different song populations of Mourning Warbler males during their spring migration. I am continuing to collect your recordings and plot them on a map of North America to determine if and where birds with different song types (regiolects) separate from each other during spring migration. The most current map of songs of migrants is at the web site below.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5 ( https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5 )

All you need is a Smartphone and a singing Mourning Warbler. You can send the recordings to my e-mail address (jpitocch AT anselm.edu). The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/ ( https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/ )

This year is the 10 th and final year of data collection. I very much appreciate your past and present contributions to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Professor Emeritus

Biology Department

Saint Anselm College

Manchester, NH 03102

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 7:43 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] BirdingApp.com
Birders,I emailed Tim Lenz who created BirdingApp and suggested he read the Albirds discussion of setting up one or more chats in Alabama. He responded to me below, and I'm forwarding it to our listserv. This might be what we want.Lucy
----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Tim Lenz <tclenz...>To: Lucy and Bob Duncan <robertaduncan...>Sent: Friday, April 26, 2024 at 08:59:42 PM CDTSubject: Re: BirdingApp.com
Hi Lucy,
Thank you so much for forwarding this to me, as BirdingApp aims to solve exactly this problem! I've read through all of the posts on the listserv, and this is how I would respond:
The main idea of BirdingApp is to simplify and encourage local conversation among birders in the field. There's no statewide chat per se, but anywhere you go in Alabama (or elsewhere), you can chat with other birders through the geospatial "Nearby Birders" chat, which has a default radius of 30km (max 75km). This eliminates the need to set up and maintain regional chats as well as the confusion on how to join them, while being more accommodating to traveling birders who are visiting Alabama. If you find a rarity, you can post it and send a notification either locally or statewide to everyone with the app. If others do not have the app, the post can also be shared externally with a link, for example https://birdingapp.com/app/post/view/POST186404/ Rarities from eBird are automatically pushed as app notifications to those interested. There are many other features as well, which I invite you all to check out at https://birdingapp.com and in the App Store description.
If you have any other questions please let me know and I'd be happy to help.
Tim
On Fri, Apr 26, 2024, 1:49 PM Lucy and Bob Duncan <robertaduncan...> wrote:

A discussion just broke out on ALbirds (listserv) with an inquiry if there were a chat for Alabama Birds, not the listserv and not email. I responded to ALbirds that there is a new chat forum called BirdingApp.com . I told the group that I'd not used it yet. I mentioned BirdingApp to the group.Can you jump in to explain how it can be used for a geographic area, or multiple areas, in Alabama? Lucy

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 6:54 pm
From: Skip Smith via groups.io <Skipfly1...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] RBA chat
To a large extent, for those that utilize eBird, the capabilities of *immediate
notification* for a RARE bird (or for that matter, a NEEDs bird) already
exists.

Let's use Jim's example of the Western Grebe that was found in Guntersville
recently. It was originally sighted on the morning of Mar 30, but not
listed until that evening until approx 10:30pm because the birder (Alison
Graves) wanted to confirm her sightings with her pics. It consequently
"hit" the eBird Rare Bird Alert (RBA) on the RBA's next *email* distribution
release which was at 4:02am, March 31. So, everyone who is *signed up* for
the RBA report would have received notification at 4:02am, which would have
only been 5.5 hours after it was listed. HOWEVER, the email for the RBA is
a rolling forward 25+ hour schedule (don't ask me why it doesn't come out
the same time every day... i don't know). So, had the RBA email just been
distributed minutes before the Alison had posted her sighting at 10:30pm
Mar 30, the next eBird RBA email capturing the Western Grebe sighting would
not have gone out until some 25+ hours later, thereby in essence delaying
notification to all by a whole available "chasing" day. BUT, there is a
work around for this delay. You can go into eBird and pull up the RBA *on
demand! *Just go into eBird "Explore", scroll down to "Alerts", click on
"Alerts", and if you are signed up, your RBA is available and is current up
to the last minute!! Utilizing the RBA in this fashion gives you all the
RARE birds since the last RBA email. *And it is updated within a minute of
a RARE bird being listed*. -- In Jim's examples of other rarities not
hitting the listserve (Shiny Cowbird, Cave Swallow, Western Tanager,
American Flamingo), *ALL of them* were reported in the daily RBA email, as
well as being captured *immediately* upon that list being submitted to
Ebird, and available *immediately* to view if you pulled up the RBA "on
demand".

So, how can one utilize this? One example could be you don't live on the
coast (Baldwin or Mobile counties), and you want to maximize your visit to
Dauphin Island, Fort Morgan, etc. Simply take the 10 seconds it takes to
pull up the RBA on demand, and you will see all the RARE birds that have
been submitted to eBird since the last RBA email, including all the ones
since you last checked, say just an hour ago! And you can utilize this same
procedure for your NEEDs alert.

For all out there, I'm not throwing shade on Jim's idea. We all utilize
electronic communication/social media in different ways, and simply tailor
our use to what we like. I myself haven't used What's App in years, and
have never even heard of Telegram (yes, I'm a dinosaur, I know!) But for
those that have never used this capability currently available in eBird,
it's there for the pickin' as they say.

Hope it helps someone.

Skip Smith

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 2:52 pm
From: Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...>

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 2:14 pm
From: Drew Haffenden via groups.io <andrew...>
Jim with a few pointers I could set one up for down here.

Cheers,

Drew Haffenden
________________________________

Date: 4/26/24 12:00 pm
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
Ahh, thanks

Date: 4/26/24 11:54 am
From: Grace via groups.io <larwood...>

Back to top

Date: 4/26/24 11:41 am
From: Melinda W via groups.io <Modoodle1989...>
I would love to have something like that. By the time I get my ebird rare bird email for the day or find time to check Facebook, the opportunity is often passed. A chat in WhatsApp that is only for sharing locations and species around the state would be very helpful to me.

Back to top

Date: 4/26/24 10:52 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>

Date: 4/26/24 8:46 am
From: Mason Currier via groups.io <masonacurrier...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Remaining Pelagic Spaces
Hi all! There are three spots remaining on the May 25th pelagic. Reach out to me if you have any questions at <masonacurrier...>

( <masonacurrier...> )

Hope to see some of y’all out there!

Mason Currier
Mobile, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/25/24 10:32 pm
From: Harold Dean via groups.io <hdean...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Mute Swan at Town Creek Marsh
Saw and photographed a Mute Swan at the Town Creek Marsh (NABT 4) around 3 pm on April 25th. It was easily viewable with binocs. Also Bald Eagles around/in the nest on the power line tower to the east of the parking “spot” on Fosters Mill Road.

Harry Dean
Madison

Back to top
Date: 4/25/24 8:30 am
From: Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: [ALbirds] B’ham airport
Had nice looks at a Lincoln’s Sparrow at the west end of the Birmingham airport late this morning. It was along the willow-lined N-S gravel road where it intersects the track leading west through the fields.

No Bobolinks were obvious but fields are looking good, worth checking over the next few weeks.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson
Birmingham, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 11:32 am
From: Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Musings on Fallouts
Collin and all,

This is very well put and illustrates the reality of the enormous
challenges these birds face each spring. Your admonitions about
overly-enthusiastic pursuit while viewing or photographing the exhausted
migrants is spot on, and something we all need to keep in mind.

As you said, we have no direct control over these events, and the perils
of this journey have been present naturally for many thousands of years.
As such, I personally do not feel shame in feeling excitement about the
possibility of viewing this true spectacle of nature. I also get excited
about seeing vagrant birds, even if I know many of these far-displaced
individuals sadly may not survive. It is indeed important, though, to
not make their precarious situation worse.

Where we have significant influence in this process is in the provision
and maintenance of crucial emergency stopover habitat along the Gulf. It
is also vital the public is educated about the importance of these
places. The efforts of DIBS and others have made a huge difference in
the survival of these birds when they need it most, and we need to
further support this fine work.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL

On 4/23/2024 3:05 PM, Collin Stempien wrote:
> [...]
>
> Conditions earlier this week appeared to be aligning for a classic fallout, but for those of us on the western side of our area, birding Saturday evening and Sunday morning was surprisingly slow. Very few migrants were present, even in the classic migrant traps. While this may have largely indicated that birds were vectored elsewhere, I did find it somewhat concerning, particularly the switch to very strong north winds overnight.
>
> While surveying a nearshore island in Mississippi Monday morning (which I survey constantly throughout the year for work), I noticed something unusual. Low numbers of very tired migrants were still around, trying their best to recover in a poor quality habitat. Sights such as a Blackpoll Warbler foraging on the ground of a sandy dune, trying to build back its reserves, greeted me. Other species included Yellow, Prairie, Blue-winged, and Black-throated Green warblers, a Northern Waterthrush, a Yellow-throated Vireo, etc. all foraging along some lightly vegetated beach dunes. This island doesn’t even host a single tree, hardly the ideal stopover site for otherwise forest-y birds.
>
> This morning, while conducting surveys on a Mississippi barrier island, I found some evidence of what I was afraid of. Migrants that were otherwise in beautiful condition and unharmed, were lying dead in the vegetation. A quick search turned up Gray Catbirds and Red-eyed Vireos with what we would refer to as fat scores and muscle scores of 0 in the banding world, meaning the bird had essentially used up every single remnant of energy reserve it had. These birds were lucky enough to make it to land, but were unable to recover, and are surely only a tiny portion compared to the birds who did not make it across the gulf to be found.
>
> Sorry to dull the mood, but I think it is important to keep these things in mind. I too am more than guilty of being excited at the prospects of incoming birds. While events such as these are entirely out of our control, they serve as an important reminder to enjoy the sights but give birds space and respect. The last thing they need is to be pushed from tree to tree for photos, or to be lured in by a fake song coming from a speaker. Birds are simply trying to survive and move on; let’s allow them to carry on rebuilding those reserves so that future generations of bird nerds don’t just have to hear about “the old days” where birds were everywhere.

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 8:03 pm
From: Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...>

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 7:24 pm
From: Drew Haffenden via groups.io <andrew...>
Collin I echo your thoughts. While I like most other birders take advantage of a fallout, I believe - and have shared my thoughts previously - that hoping for one or celebrating one is misguided if one I concerned about our birds. Scores of thousands to hundreds of thousands of birds dying while crossing the gulf is not something to hope for. Sweet passage across and safe arrival is.

Cheers,

Drew Haffenden
________________________________

Date: 4/23/24 2:10 pm
From: Eric Soehren via groups.io <esoehren...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Vacant Breeding Bird Survey Routes - Seeking Volunteers (2024)
AL Birders--

I'm seeking volunteers to adopt a Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) route for the upcoming breeding season in Alabama.

As an overview, the USGS BBS is a long-term, standardized monitoring program run by volunteers (over 2,000 people) throughout North America. Since its inception in 1966, the BBS is one of the most important bird monitoring programs in existence as it provides population trend estimates for the continent’s breeding birds at different temporal and spatial scales. The data is used in many ways and enables researchers and wildlife agencies to better evaluate the current statuses of species in terms of conservation need. Observers must be able to identify birds by sight and song, although most detections are made by ear. Essentially, the survey entails conducting 50, 3-minute point counts at stops placed at 0.5 mile increments along an established road route. It typically takes 4 hours to complete. Start times are 30 minutes before local sunrise. Routes are surveyed only once a year and you can select the day to run them usually between mid-May to 30 June, although some start dates may be a week later in the northern part of the state. Weekends are the best days to run routes (especially Sundays) with much lower traffic volume.

I am looking for dedicated birders who possess the necessary skills to readily identify all breeding birds by sight and song to step up and participate. Over the past year, there have been a number of retirements from their routes, so I'm currently seeking to fill 14 vacancies in the state.

Current vacant routes include the following:

Liberty (02019) – Pickens

Riderwood (02020) – Choctaw

Linden (02021) – Marengo

Castleberry (02038) – Conecuh

Millry (02039) – Washington

Epes (02048) – Sumter

Escatawpa (02052) – Washington

Grove Hill (02053) – Clarke

Rock Chapel (02063) – Marengo

Courtland (02102) – Lawrence

Carter Grove (02203) – Madison

Stevenson (02204) –  Jackson

Vernon (02205) – Lamar

Claiborne (02214) – Clarke

So if you are concerned about the welfare of our breeding birds and possess the necessary skills to identify them, please consider taking one of the vacant routes listed above. Participation requires dedicating a day to scout the route for familiarity and then a single morning beginning at the designated start time to survey a route of 50 stops, which contributes substantially to our present day knowledge of breeding bird statuses on many levels!  If you currently have an assigned route(s) or have participated in the past, thank you for your dedicated service.

If you are unfamiliar with the BBS and have questions about it or want to request a route, please contact me (contact information below). I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thank you for your consideration and good birding!

Eric Soehren, Alabama BBS Coordinator
AL DCNR - State Lands Division
Wehle Land Conservation Center
334-529-3003
eric.soehren@...

Back to top

Date: 4/21/24 7:24 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Summary of today's fallout at Ft. Pickens
Hi all,
Migrants performed according to script today. They were scarce at Ft. Pickens this morning. But at about 4 pm, from our vantage point at the "dump" 8 of us birders started to observe wave after wave of migrants moving onto the island from the Gulf.  It was primarily composed of Indigo Buntings and Red-eyed Vireos with some Blue Grosbeaks mixed in. A few tanagers of both species and a few orchard orioles also arrived. Warblers were present but in low numbers with the exception of about 20 yellow warblers. My estimate of 200 Indigos is considered low by Lucy though! (See checklists from others from Escambia County!)
The day started when the Duncans watched 55 Purple Martins come in from the bay from our vantage point on the tip of the peninsula along with about 35 Barn Swallows. This was the vanguard of the movement we witnessed later as the strongest flyers arrive first. The late afternoon movement was a result of strong headwinds they encountered as they moved into the northern Gulf. The Martins were followed by the Indigos later and perhaps more warblers will follow tonight. We will know if that is the case by morning.
I looked at some checklists from Dauphin Is. and Ft. Morgan and from what I saw, they indicated the movement was not as heavy to the west of Pensacola. This would make sense as initial winds behind the front were strong NW and would have vectored incoming birds more our way eastward.
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 5:34 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] fallout coming
Hi all,
Currently, (7:30 am) heavy storms are located about 100 to 150 miles south of the SE LA  - Destin coasts and if birds are on schedule, we may have a good fallout if they were up last night and on schedule. Winds here in Gulf Breeze are NNW about 15 - 20 mph.
Bob Duncan

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 6:32 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email via groups.io <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Birding prospects
Hi all,
A front is due tonight, so what does that mean to us at the height of Spring migration? Launch conditions in Yucatan are favorable with no storms present and light winds. Don't be fooled by maps showing winds out of the north on the  northern Yucatan Peninsula. That is the sea breeze effect due to hot temps over land and the N winds do not extend well into the Gulf where the prevailing E or SE winds take over. Apparently birds have learned this long ago.
A front is entering the Gulf tonight and will be in the N Gulf by morning. Any incoming flights should meet head winds well offshore before they reach land. This should be a factor that will bring some birds down to the traps. However, the rain and thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow morning and afternoon will not extend far into the Gulf, so a classic fallout should not be expected. The SE winds birds will encounter tonight are not strong and should not be a significant factor vectoring birds toward the TX-LA coast, giving us a better chance for migrants.
Winds increase out of the N Sunday night and Monday and the front is forecast to reach the S Gulf. This MAY impeded movements N for Monday but this late in the season birds in a rush to establish territories may throw caution to the winds and take off anyhow, in which case we will see more birds at the traps.
For Wednesday and the remainder of the week, migration conditions return to normal. That's my best guess as to what may transpire.
Now if BirdCast would show us what's coming in from the Gulf, guessing would not be necessary.
Good Birding,
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL.

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 7:10 am
From: Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Bells Vireo
Near back entrance to Shell Mounds (near FDA gate) about 9 am. But I haven’t seen it in past few minutes.

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 6:16 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
Bob,

What is your take on birding weather for tomorrow? To my unpracticed eye,
it looks good on this end for a fallout. What about launch conditions?

We're at DI.

Thanks,

Bob

On Thu, Apr 4, 2024, 09:14 Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at reports from St. Marks to Dauphin Is., the front with its
> strong NW & W winds vectored a Trans-Gulf movement to the eastern
> Panhandle. Elizabeth Hawkins described what was a classic fallout at St.
> George Is. and St. Marks had a large fallout of R. E. Vireos.
>
> Over here in the western Panhandle we came up short, as expected. Checking
> the paucity of reports from the AL coast, birders there suffered the same
> fate. Disappointingly, few if any migrants came in to Gulf Breeze overnight
> from what I have observed so far.
>
> The rain associated with the front dissipated as it approached the
> Pensacola area but regenerated and extended into the Gulf as it approached
> the eastern Panhandle, producing classic fallout conditions there. Lucky
> were the birders who braved the weather and got in on the spectacle!
>
> For the benefit of the legions of new birders in the area, I cannot
> emphasize enough the importance that WIND DIRECTION AND VELOCITY have on
> where and when migrants coming from the tropics will make landfall.
> Cornell's BIRDCAST is great (but not infallible) for predicting *Fall *movements
> coming into our area, but it does not help us when it comes to Spring
> migration. So for that, we must rely on weather information available to
> us. I rely heavily on the Marine Forecast (NOAA) for wind forecasts about a
> week ahead.
>
> NW winds will abate by Sat. and swing around to SE and migration will
> resume, with the thrust toward the TX - LA coasts through Sun. Beyond that,
> watch the forecast but don't forget West Indian migrants can still be
> moving through our area.
>
> Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, FL
>

> --
> Lucy and Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, Florida

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 11:20 am
From: Gregory J. Harber via groups.io <gharber...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Painted Bunting
Awesome, Linda! Picture or not, please consider entering your sighting into eBird.

Gregory J. Harber
Birmingham, AL
<gharber...>

Visit my photo page in The Art Shop at
http://www.calvinwildphotography.com
Date: 4/19/24 10:33 am
From: LINDA HENCKELL via groups.io <beaumama...>

Date: 4/19/24 8:07 am
From: <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...>
Subject: [ALbirds] fyi - Semi-rare bird report to eBird
AOS Birders on the Coast,
I'm not sure if this will (or did) trigger the eBird rare bird email filter or not.   If not, I'm passing along an unconfirmed  report was made to eBird yesterday Thursday 4/18 at 1:30 pm of a HUDSONIAN GODWIT at the Ft Morgan ferry dock.
The comments were "Very dark back , rufous front and upturned by colored bill. Grey neck. When it took off it went into a Field where we could see it’s head pop up behind flowers. It flew again and we observed the black tail and white rump. Also narrow wing stripe KN edge"
If you are in the area, might be worth a second look.
Good luck,Steve McConnellHartselle, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 7:13 am
From: <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
Folks,
I'll add some comments about the Merlin tool in relation to eBird data collection:
Please remember eBird Central has intentionally cast a very wide net with the desire for more and more bird data and has designed a system to encourage more reporting to maximize data quantity while at the same time involving more people to become more aware and "care more" about the birds around them.  Many of these people would not have otherwise discovered the excitement of birding and data collection without eBird.
The designers and administrators at eBird Central are very thorough and thoughtful.  I'm sure they considered the issue of false "common" bird reports reaching the database without review as they designed the system and procedures currently in place .  I don't know this for fact but allow me to speculate their discussion ended with a conclusion the error-rate (incorrect data reaching the database) is not proportional to the total number of data points.  Example: If one observer (using Merlin or just their own eyes/ears) enters two wrong data points for a species and eight accurate ones, their personal error rate is 20%.  But if 1000 other observers enter 10,000 accurate points for the same common species and 2 wrong ones, the overall error rate drops to only 0.04%.   Since data collection error rates are never 0.0%, a decision had to be made how best to move forward along with the other goals in the minds of the eBird designers.
Please be aware some Alabama eBird observers have sight or hearing impairments and find Merlin to be a great help to keep them involved in the process of bird data collection eBird has designed.
The backup QA/QC right now for data quality checking are the team of regional , experienced reviewers each state has to look over the unusual reports filtered out from the bulk of expected species, counts, dates.    Just because raw (unreviewed) data triggers an eBird email rare bird alert does not mean it will be accepted into their database in the end.
Thanks for your patience.  My siskins are calling....lol.  Come on redpoll - maybe this is the spring!
Steve McConnellHartselle, AL

On Wednesday, April 17, 2024 at 09:36:17 AM CDT, Katherine Clemo <kclemo54...> wrote:

Amen!
On Wed, Apr 17, 2024, 7:23 AM Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> wrote:

If you get rare bird alerts from eBird, you probably saw the reports of Dusky-capped Flycatcher and Hawfinch. Neither burd seen by the observer, both identified by Merlin.
I ran Merlin at my house for about 30 minutes yesterday. Most of the birds detected were correct.  It did peg the Purple Martin and Summer Tanager calls made by my Mockingbird (I heard them too, straight from the Mockingbird's mouth). It picked up a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (and it does that every time I use the app) that I never saw or heard. I usually only get Gnatcatchers in my yard during fall migration. It also detected a White-breasted Nuthatch that did not detected,  and they are RARE in my yard (only a handful of records on 30+ years of residency). Another likely error was Song Sparrow.  They are regular around my feeder each winter, but di not nest here. I haven't seen one on over a month. About a week ago, Merlin pegged a Downy Woodpecker when I coughed. I do have Downy in my yard, but it was not calling at the time Merlin picked it up.
Merlin is a good tool to help learn bird songs/calls, but eBird should really push folks to record only those birds seen/heard and identified by the observer. I know these reports of common birds doesn't really destroy the database, but it can definitely make some birds look more common than they are. And it's building a birding community that can't identify birds on their own...probably the true downside of the app.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my (non-Apple) phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 8:04 PM, Bob Reed<bobreed1987...> wrote: I too have recently been getting Junco IDs on Merlin in inappropriate places. In every instance Pine Warblers were present. I had not picked up on the similarity. Thanks for sharing.
Bob Reed Tallassee,  Alabama

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024, 17:28 Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...> wrote:

Even if you do have the correct location, you still have to be careful. I think there is a Pine Warbler/Dark-eyed Junco problem. Below is a ticket I submitted to Merlin on my recent observations:

I think I have discovered a flaw in the Merlin sound ID appthat gives false hits for Dark-eyed Juncos. On March 27 on the Gator Lake TrailMerlin picked up a Junco. I couldn't find the bird, so I didn’t record it. Thiswas in season and would be prime Junco habitat, but I thought I should be ableto see it and I couldn’t.  On April 7 onthe Jeff Friend Trail, I got another Junco call. I couldn't find this birdeither and did not record the sighting as a result. It was also beginning toget late in the season for a Junco. Last Saturday this happened again, thistime at the Middle Grounds at Fort Morgan. But this time I noticed something.When Pine Warblers were calling, both the Pine Warbler AND Junco readings wouldlight up yellow, indicating a match. I could only hear one bird. My wife was along,and she could only hear one bird also, and it was definitely a Pine Warbler. Inall three cases, there were Pine Warblers in the area. Not only did I get visualson the Pine Warblers, but the calls were coming from overhead. You would expectJunco calls to be coming from the ground or at least lower down.

So, then I got on the computer and played all the Junco callsI could find. One of them is very similar to Pine Warbler calls. In fact, All AboutBirds makes this exact point:

Male Dark-eyed Juncos sing an even, musicaltrill of 7-23 notes that lasts up to 2 seconds. It’s similar to the songs ofboth the Chipping Sparrow and the Pine Warbler and is loud enough to be heardfrom several hundred feet away.

I think I can tell the two apart now, having spent quite sometime listening to recordings. The Pine Warbler seems to be a little higherpitched to me. I think Merlin sound ID is sometimes giving false Junco readingson Pine Warbler calls.
Anybody else have similar experiences?
Douglas Hamm
On Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at 02:12:45 PM CDT, Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> wrote:

This has been discussed multiple times on all the listservs that I subscribed to but as a reminder, Merlin identification (especially the Sound ID) has problems and should not be relied upon as the sole method of identification.   One way to make the Merlin Sound ID more reliable is to ensure you have the location setting accurate.

See:  https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001214056-merlin-sound-id-best-practices#2-Set-your-location

If you are certain that the Merlin sound ID is correct and it is being flagged as rare, please upload the recording into the eBird list.

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001214056-merlin-sound-id-best-practices#3-Upload-your-sound-recording-to-your-checklist

This recent list highlights this point (several species would certainly not be suggested if the location setting was correct):https://ebird.org/checklist/S168927564

Date: 4/17/24 6:41 pm
From: Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...>
Here's a screen clip of a checklist from Wilson Dam a while back (winter 22/23). At least the observer just listed the rarities under passerine sp. This is one of several similar lists reported from the Shoals area at that time. Obviously a Merlin "birder".

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my (non-Apple) phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 7:09 PM, Ken Hare<kmhare46...> wrote: Reading what Douglas Hamm wrote raises the possibility that I’ve misidentified a few Pine Warblers as Juncos, and possibly vice versa. I don’t list anything from Merlin I don’t hear or see myself, so missed identifications is usually not an issue. I use Merlin to find the possible presence of a species, not as the final authority. But I just refreshed my memory by listening to the typical trill call of each bird, and I’m no longer sure I could tell them apart.
In other words, I’m not only not sure I can rely on Merlin to tell them apart, I’m not sure I can continue to rely on my own ears to tell them apart.
Oh, well. It’s that Philadelphia vs. Red-eyed Vireo conundrum all over again.
Ken H.

On Apr 17, 2024, at 2:35 PM, Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> wrote:

I ran Merlin today while birding in my yard.  I also got a Song Sparrow which was not present (I have never had a Song Sparrow in my yard).  One of the Louisiana birders was also complaining that Merlin was picking up Song Sparrow when his yard does not contain them. So, there must be something (bird or other regular sound) that Merlin is mistaking.

I think the bigger problem IS the “common” birds not flagged by eBird.  The rarities (should) get filtered out of the public database.  Although Merlin certainly increases detection of a small number of individuals, it is adding a bunch of false positives to the database (especially for species where voice is a problem).  I have seen plenty of instances where Merlin was calling the same bird two different species!

Date: 4/17/24 5:22 pm
From: Scott Gravette via groups.io <inadu4...>
I can't remember ever hearing a Junco sing in Alabama. Scott GravetteHartselle,
AL
--------------------

<dhamm72...> wrote:

[...]

_._,_._,_

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 5:09 pm
From: Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...>

Back to top

Date: 4/17/24 11:55 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
Great pictures!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024, 13:38 Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass=

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 11:38 am
From: Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass...>

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 7:36 am
From: Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...>

Date: 4/17/24 6:10 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
I agree with you, Damien. Merlin is a useful tool, but no more. It should
NEVER be used as a substitute for human knowledge and expertise.

Date: 4/16/24 6:04 pm
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>

Date: 4/16/24 3:28 pm
From: Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...>
[...]

<!--#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 p.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 li.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv2948687057 a:link, #yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv2948687057 .yiv2948687057MsoChpDefault {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057WordSection1 {}-->