GABO-L
Received From Subject
5/17/24 7:32 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 May 24
5/15/24 5:17 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 15 May 24
5/14/24 11:42 am linda finn <ll_finn...> [GABO-L] Ruby throated hummingbird Gainesville, Hall Co., GA
5/13/24 5:24 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 13 May 24
5/10/24 3:56 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 9 May 24
5/8/24 6:43 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 7 May 24
5/7/24 7:27 pm Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...> [GABO-L] American Avocet report - Carters Lake
5/7/24 12:40 pm Jack Wissner <jdwissner...> [GABO-L] Warblers and more!!
5/6/24 4:52 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 6 May 24
5/6/24 2:55 pm Steve Hilliard <sghilliard...> Re: [GABO-L] Plain chachalaca at Wormsloe Historic site?
5/6/24 2:49 pm Steve Hilliard <sghilliard...> Re: [GABO-L] Plain chachalaca at Wormsloe Historic site?
5/6/24 6:03 am Steve Hilliard <sghilliard...> [GABO-L] Plain chachalaca at Wormsloe Historic site?
5/4/24 1:28 pm Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...> [GABO-L] Catoosa County Bird Records
5/3/24 5:59 pm Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...> [GABO-L] FOTS Mississippi Kite
5/3/24 2:34 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 3 May 24
5/3/24 9:21 am Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...> [GABO-L] FOTS Mississippi Kite
5/2/24 11:25 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 1 May 24
5/2/24 10:25 am Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...> [GABO-L] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
5/1/24 2:14 pm Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...> [GABO-L] Migratory Bird Count - May 11th
4/30/24 6:02 am patriciapepper9 <patriciapepper9...> [GABO-L] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
4/28/24 10:13 am Linda Burgess <00001015107de30d-dmarc-request...> [GABO-L] Birds in West Cobb this morning
4/26/24 1:44 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 26 Apr 24
4/24/24 11:22 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 Apr 24
4/22/24 3:29 pm Jennifer E Wolf <jenwolf...> [GABO-L] Scarlet Tanager and Cedar Waxwings - Winterville, Clarke County
4/22/24 2:42 pm Geoffrey Hill <hillgee...> [GABO-L] Alabama pelagic trip
4/22/24 3:54 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 22 Apr 24
4/19/24 1:52 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 18 Apr 24

Back to top
Date: 5/17/24 7:32 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: May 17, 2024 at 7:50:02 AM EDT
> To: <robert.emond2015...>
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (1 Harris)
> Surf Scoter (1 Glynn)
> White-winged Scoter (1 Glynn)
> Black Scoter (2 Glynn)
> Northern Bobwhite (1 Paulding, 2 Talbot, 3 Troup)
> Common Ground Dove (1 Jones, 1 Meriwether)
> Chuck-will's-widow (1 Fulton)
> Sandhill Crane (1 Charlton)
> Stilt Sandpiper (1 Chatham, 1 Cobb)
> White-rumped Sandpiper (2 Fulton, 6 Gwinnett)
> Pectoral Sandpiper (1 Glynn, 6 Gwinnett, 2 Rabun)
> Semipalmated Sandpiper (2 Fulton, 8 Gwinnett)
> Lesser Black-backed Gull (1 Glynn)
> Forster's Tern (1 Gwinnett)
> Little Blue Heron (1 McDuffie)
> Mississippi Kite (1 Habersham)
> Bald Eagle (1 Clarke, 1 DeKalb, 1 Fulton)
> Red-cockaded Woodpecker (1 Charlton)
> American Kestrel (1 Jackson, 1 Marion)
> Olive-sided Flycatcher (2 DeKalb)
> Blue-headed Vireo (1 Marion)
> Loggerhead Shrike (1 Clarke)
> Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1 DeKalb)
> Hermit Thrush (1 Early)
> Purple Finch (1 DeKalb)
> Bachman's Sparrow (4 Talbot)
> Dark-eyed Junco (1 Forsyth)
> White-throated Sparrow (3 Clarke, 1 Early)
> Baltimore Oriole (1 Forsyth)
> Northern Waterthrush (1 Glynn)
> Black-and-white Warbler (1 Columbia, 2 Marion)
> Prothonotary Warbler (1 Stephens)
> Magnolia Warbler (1 Bartow)
> Bay-breasted Warbler (1 Walker)
> Palm Warbler (1 Forsyth)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated.
>
> eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully. Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully

Robert Emond
Lowndes

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 5:17 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 15 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/14/24 11:42 am
From: linda finn <ll_finn...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Ruby throated hummingbird Gainesville, Hall Co., GA
Put out feeder yesterday, hummer arrived today! On a cool rainy day when it probably needed a feed.

Date: 5/13/24 5:24 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 13 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/10/24 3:56 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 9 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/8/24 6:43 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 7 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/7/24 7:27 pm
From: Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...>
Subject: [GABO-L] American Avocet report - Carters Lake
This is a report from April 19th, 2024. I thought it might be a nice addition to the listserv archives, so I'll share it below.

At approximately 10:30am, I was scanning the Carters Lake Reservoir from the Cove Rd. picnic shelter. Suddenly, I saw a group of birds coming up from the lake to the right of the peninsula where I was standing. Thinking that they were probably ducks, I raised my bins and was surprised to see a flock of American Avocets flying over the water in a loose V or U shape. I only got to observe them for a few seconds before I lost them behind the trees. Thinking that they were leaving the site I relocated to Marina Rd, searching the sky for the flock. Though I was standing in Murray County when I observed them, they were actually to the east of the county line in Gilmer County. This appears to be the first county record for Gilmer, so that was a very cool way to add that species to a county that I never really expected to observe them in.

I continued searching for the flock at the Carters Lake Marina with no success and I assumed that they had continued south over the surrounding forest. My mind quickly thought of the possibility that the avocets could circle west and drop down to the regulation pool and more specifically an exposed mud bar near the HWY 136 bridge. Even more specifically, I was excited of the prospect of observing them in Murray County, since I'd never added them to my home county list. I had chased avocets at Carters many years before. Cheryl Kanes, Max Medley and Becky Valentine observed some on a mudflat on the 27th of September, 2007. I even posted it on GABO and that I was about to chase them.....

https://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?A2=ind0709&L=GABO-L&P=R10276&X=O90644D09D451F72F79&Y=<joshuastephenspence...>

I missed them! For over 16 years I've been checking the lake hoping that I would get this nemesis county bird. I missed another opportunity on September 16th, 2011 when Patrick Addy and the Healeys (Jim & Allison) observed nine avocets at the rereg. Their observation was much like mine in that the birds circled the lake looking for a place to land......to no avail.

Back to the present......I arrived quickly at the HWY 136 Bridge to find......NO AVOCETS. No mud bar. The rereg pool was the highest that it has been all spring long. I relocated to the rereg dam....no avocets. I tried from the Powerhouse boatramp.......no avocets. I basically gave up. I had to go to Woodring Branch, and while there I scanned the lake and Harris Beach for the birds.......no avocets.

Finally, I made it back to the Nature Center. Around 4:20pm, and I'm looking east over the reservoir and see a dark spot on the lake. I wondered if it was a raft of birds. I lift my bins and AVOCETS! Lots of avocets. I grab my scope and get a count of at least 32 floating in a tight raft on the deepest manmade lake east of the Mississippi. I was able to get crappy, but diagnostic photos through my scope. These birds were anywhere from 2100' to 2700' from where I was standing. I showed them to a few bystanders then rushed back to Cove Rd., where I began the day, to check to see what county they were in.

I'm there by 4:42pm and scanning the lake from the picnic shelter, I find the birds, recount them to confirm there's 32. I pull up google maps and double check the county line and they are indeed on the westside of the line, placing them in Murray County by less than 1000'. Success! This tic is my 255th Murray County species and one that I had been hoping for. Suddenly, they began to lift and circle around and I realized that the birds had probably came straight back after my earlier observation to rest on the lake. I know avocets can float and swim, but I've always associated them with more shallow situations. There had been a predawn storm that morning and these were no doubt a product of that.

As they flew around the lake they entered Gilmer County and then came back to set down in Murray. They did this several times and were still in the vicinity when I left. I moved around a bit on Cove Road to try different angles, but it was difficult to do through the trees. Those who have birded this area in the past will remember how it can produce a great county-listing opportunity if a bird is moving around quite a bit. One such occasion was in June 2007, when a S0uth P0lar Skua1 showed up and several birders got it in both Murray and Gilmer Counties. Good times!

Anyway, it was a great day. Getting avocets in two mountain region counties was a surprise. Now the significance of the record based on ecoregions is worth mentioning. This appears to only be the second Blue Ridge record for the American Avocet in GA. The first record is from last year: 22-27 November, 2023; Fields Landing, Cherokee County (Lazenby). The interesting aspect of both sightings is that about a decade ago these would've been considered to be Piedmont records, but since the repositioning of the geological boundaries, this is now Blue Ridge (Metasedimentary Mountains). Interesting stuff......especially considering that the Carters Lake birds were most likely migrating through further west when the storm pushed them east and they took refuge on the reservoir.

I hope this was an interesting read.

Take care,

Joshua Spence,
Murray County

Date: 5/7/24 12:40 pm
From: Jack Wissner <jdwissner...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Warblers and more!!
Our day started off at 8am hoping to see migrants. It was pretty much a bust. Oh well. We decided to go got a walk. We found a walk near Talking Rock that looked easy and short. We did not expect to see many birds.

Well… it turned out to be one of the best birding spots ever!! As soon as we got out of the car we heard a bird symphony!! The walk was really nice also. We had the whole thing to ourselves also.

Some of the birds we saw or heard…

Eastern- Wood Peewee
Yellow Throated Vireo
Chestnut Sided Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Red Eyed Vireo
Indigo Bunting
Redstart
Yellow Warbler
Ovenbird
Balckburnian Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Yellow Breasted Chat
Blue headed Vireo
Broad Winged Hawk
Tennessee Warbler

The walk is Eagle Rest Trail in Eagle Rest Park. It is called Eagle Rest Trail at Mount Oglethorpe on All Trails.

Highly recommended!!

Jack

Jack Wissner
<jdwissner...>

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/6/24 4:52 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 6 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/6/24 2:55 pm
From: Steve Hilliard <sghilliard...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Plain chachalaca at Wormsloe Historic site?
Thanks Terry—we were very aware of their presence on Sapelo (a friend got a much better look, and he’s been looking for them on Sapelo for years). Our doubts were because we didn’t get a good look at that one, and didn’t expect them to be on the mainland. And I tend to be a conservative birder. With two degrees in biology I think it’s totally feasible that a bird from sapelo could be found in suitable habitat nearby, but I’m too much of a pessimist to think that we’d be the first to spot them :-)

Date: 5/6/24 2:49 pm
From: Steve Hilliard <sghilliard...>
Could be Wes—finally found video of a peahen flying and calling, and that could be a match. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/4/24 1:28 pm
From: Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Catoosa County Bird Records
I haven't had a chance to post recently, but I wanted to make one about a few sightings at the Sim's Sod Farm in Catoosa County over the last few months. All these were reported on eBird and were listed on the RBA. This sod farm has been productive over the last several years. I've made several trips up this year and these four species were good sightings for Catoosa:

American Golden Plover - 3/18/24 - 2nd county record, 1st spring record

Upland Sandpiper - 2 birds, 4/15/24, 1st county record

Lapland Longspur - discovered on 3/17/24 by Team DuBois/Burgess/Lenz, I was able to relocate it on 3/18, which may be a statewide late date for this species.

Brewers Blackbird - 4/2/24 - 2nd county record

Take care,

Joshua Spence,
Murray County

Date: 5/3/24 5:59 pm
From: Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [GABO-L] FOTS Mississippi Kite
Hey, all!
This begins year six of having Mississippi Kites in my neighborhood here in the southern portion of Fayette County. This one showed up today, flying with its amazing wing movements and whistling as though to announce its return. And, yes, stopped in the exact same tree it hung out in last year and the year before. The other years it hung out in a tree next to it we had to take down before it fell on our driveway. This one may do the same but it's our neighbor's, not ours.I hope they leave it.
We have three tall trees in our front yard, one of which held their nesting spot last year. I have a clear (ish) view of it and hope they use the same spot again. Time will tell.
Haooy Spring Birding, Everyone!
~Marlene Koslowsky
Fayette County

Date: 5/3/24 2:34 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 3 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/3/24 9:21 am
From: Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...>
Hey, all!
This begins year six of having Mississippi Kites in my neighborhood here in the southern portion of Fayette County. This one showed up today, flying with its amazing wing movements and whistling as though to announce its return. And, yes, stopped in the exact same tree it hung out in last year and the year before. The other years it hung out in a tree next to it we had to take down before it fell on our driveway. This one may do the same but it's our neighbor's, not ours.I hope they leave it.
We have three tall trees in our front yard, one of which held their nesting spot last year. I have a clear (ish) view of it and hope they use the same spot again. Time will tell. Checklist below.
Haooy Spring Birding, Everyone!
~Marlene Koslowsky
Fayette County
https://ebird.org/checklist/S171680855

~Marlene Koslowsky
Fayette County

Date: 5/2/24 11:25 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 1 May 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/2/24 10:25 am
From: Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

I am posting my annual opportunity to participate in a Citizens Science
Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs.I am
trying to determine the nature of migratory pathways taken by different
song populations of Mourning Warbler males during their spring
migration.I am continuing to collect your recordings and plot them on a
map of North America to determine if and where birds with different song
types (regiolects) separate from each other during spring migration.The
most current map of songs of migrants is at the web site below.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5
<https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5>

All you need is a Smartphone and a singing Mourning Warbler.You can send
the recordings to my e-mail address (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).The web
page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your
Smartphone in more detail.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/ <https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/>

This year is the 10^th and final year of data collection.I very much
appreciate your past and present contributions to this Citizens Science
Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Professor Emeritus

Biology Department

Saint Anselm College

Manchester, NH 03102

Date: 5/1/24 2:14 pm
From: Joshua Spence <joshuastephenspence...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Migratory Bird Count - May 11th
Saturday, May 11th is World Migratory Bird Day also known as Global Big Day. I hope everyone is able to get into the field and submit a few checklists. We are holding a Spring Migration Count that day at Carters Lake, Murray/Gilmer Counties. If anyone is interested in participating, feel free to join us. If you need more info or want to register, just contact me . We are simultaneously conducting a butterfly count for the NABA, so if you're into insects, I think it would be very enjoyable. It is Mother's Day Weekend, and might be a nice outing with your mother.

Thanks,

Joshua Spence
Murray County
<joshuastephenspence...>
706-371-8209

Date: 4/30/24 6:02 am
From: patriciapepper9 <patriciapepper9...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Had a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at my feeder this morning. So delighted to have one back.Pat PepperAcworth Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Date: 4/28/24 10:13 am
From: Linda Burgess <00001015107de30d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Birds in West Cobb this morning
Blackburnian WarblerCape May WarblerMallard European StarlingAmerican Redstart
Linda BurgessWest Cobb County Georgia

Date: 4/26/24 1:44 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 26 Apr 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 4/24/24 11:22 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 Apr 24
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 4/22/24 3:29 pm
From: Jennifer E Wolf <jenwolf...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Scarlet Tanager and Cedar Waxwings - Winterville, Clarke County
My first sighting of a Scarlet Tanager since I moved to Georgia nearly twenty years ago! A solitary male in his beautiful red breeding plumage, looking for a meal in a nearby maple tree. I didn't have binocs on me at the time but he was so close I didn't need them. He hung around for several minutes. I looked for a female but didn't spot her. I'm always on the alert in Spring before the tree canopy fills completely in. Tell me, North Georgia birders, are they a little bit rare here or have I just been unlucky?

I was also rewarded this morning with a small flock of cedar waxwings who'd dropped in to chow down on my Mahonia berries. The waxwings are more common in the neighborhood but it's always a treat to watch their flighty antics.

Happy birding, everyone!
--Jen Wolf
Winterville, Clarke County

Date: 4/22/24 2:42 pm
From: Geoffrey Hill <hillgee...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Alabama pelagic trip
Hello Georgia Birders,
Mason Currier is organizing a pelagic trip from Orange Beach, Alabama May 25 to go after Alabama pelagics. There are still a few spots left in case anyone on GABO is interested. Please contact Mason Currier: <masonacurrier...><mailto:<masonacurrier...> .
Best wishes, Geoff Hill, Auburn

**********************************
Dr. Geoffrey Hill
William P. Molette Professor
Dept. Biological Sciences
101 Life Sciences Building
120 W. Samford Ave.
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849-5414

e-mail: <hillgee...><mailto:<hillgee...>
web page: http://www.t<http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/res_area/hill_lab/index.html>hehilllab.com<http://hehilllab.com/>

NEW BOOK: Mitonuclear Ecology
Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution

Back to top