Carolinabirds
Received From Subject
5/16/24 4:35 pm Brian Pendergraft (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Falls Lake Thrush Tease
5/15/24 11:28 am \Roger Shaw\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting – 5/20 – Birds of Taiwan — David and Judy Smith
5/14/24 9:42 am Christopher Hill (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia book announcement
5/14/24 9:31 am Harry LeGrand (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia book announcement
5/13/24 4:33 pm Kent Fiala (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Api apps
5/13/24 4:02 pm Christopher Hill (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: recent opinions on mid range binocs for birding?
5/13/24 3:57 pm Will Cook <cwcook...> Re: UNSUBSCRIBE
5/13/24 3:41 pm Ann Brice (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> how to unsubscribe from carolinabirds
5/13/24 3:07 pm Steve <sshultz...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/13/24 3:06 pm Steve <sshultz...> Re: UNSUBSCRIBE
5/13/24 2:56 pm Jessica Gryglewicz (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> UNSUBSCRIBE
5/13/24 2:46 pm bev2495 (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> UNSUBSCRIBE
5/13/24 2:38 pm Bernie Carr (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: recent opinions on mid range binocs for birding?
5/13/24 2:34 pm Clyde Sorenson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/13/24 2:02 pm Jessica Gryglewicz (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Unsubscribe
5/13/24 1:58 pm Sally Robertson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/13/24 12:20 pm \Corey, Ed\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> RE: [External] recent opinions on mid range binocs for birding?
5/13/24 12:14 pm John Connors (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/13/24 12:08 pm \Herbert, Teri Lynn\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> recent opinions on mid range binocs for birding?
5/13/24 10:55 am Lynda Haake (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/13/24 4:26 am Erinn Szarek (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Api apps
5/11/24 9:50 am Michael Fogleman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/11/24 6:05 am Rob Rogers (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Fwd: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/11/24 4:48 am Kevin Kubach (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/11/24 4:38 am Kevin Kubach (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/11/24 4:27 am Wayne Hoffman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
5/10/24 1:52 pm \Hurlbert, Allen Hartley\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> surveyors needed for NC Mini Breeding Bird Survey
5/9/24 5:20 pm Lynn Erla Beegle (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Prairie Ridge Ecostation (Wake NC) opens at 6am Friday May 10 for early birding
5/9/24 5:10 pm Randee Gordon (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Unsubscribe
5/9/24 1:24 pm Helen Kalevas (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Conservation win in SC
5/9/24 1:20 pm Maggie Strickland (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Conservation win in SC
5/9/24 10:44 am <sshultz...> Conservation win in SC
5/9/24 9:54 am Steve <sshultz...> Re: eastern screech owls
5/9/24 8:58 am Michael Fogleman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: eastern screech owls
5/9/24 8:43 am \<k.grinnell...>\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> eastern screech owls
5/9/24 8:27 am Thomas Krakauer (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Unsubscribe
5/8/24 12:33 pm Sandy Cash (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Swallow-tailed Kite in Orange Co., NC
5/7/24 10:14 am Will Cook <cwcook...> Re: Swallow-tailed Kite in Orange Co., NC
5/7/24 7:12 am Steve <sshultz...> Re: Swainson's Thrush
5/7/24 5:23 am Helen Kalevas (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Swainson's Thrush
5/7/24 4:50 am <badgerboy...> Watauga Spring Count this Saturday, May 11
5/6/24 7:35 am Will Cook (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Swallow-tailed Kite in Orange Co., NC
5/5/24 5:32 am Kevin Kubach (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Unconventional life history in a migratory shorebird: desegregating reproduction and migration | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
5/2/24 10:27 am Jay Pitocchelli (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
5/2/24 8:54 am Will Cook <cwcook...> Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count - Saturday 4 May 2024
4/30/24 2:13 pm Nate Dias (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Wilson's Phalarope video from the Yawkey Wildlife Center
4/24/24 7:33 am Brian Bockhahn (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Upcoming spring bird counts help needed
4/23/24 8:08 am scompton1251 <scompton1251...> CBC Friday trip Francis Marion
4/22/24 9:56 am James Hancock (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Confused bird
4/22/24 7:17 am \Roger Shaw\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting - 4/22 - Anders and Beverly Gyllenhaal — The Race to Save Our Vanishing Birds
4/19/24 6:24 pm Beth Garver (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: It's a strange time of year
4/19/24 2:04 pm Bert Fisher (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: It's a strange time of year
4/19/24 10:37 am Kathy Parker (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: It's a strange time of year
4/19/24 9:42 am Helen Kalevas (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: It's a strange time of year
4/18/24 6:07 am Michael Clark <mdc...> It's a strange time of year

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 4:35 pm
Subject: Falls Lake Thrush Tease
I’ve had a couple of thrush photos sent to me recently and a few of you have asked am I going to do the GRAY-CHEEKED PROGRAM again this year. Well… I have had a Swainsons singing and showing off here all week, and Ryan and Tony don’t give me an option, so let’s do it!
We have penciled in October 5-13. This is NOT an email to request reservations but only to get this on your calendar’s if you’re interested. I will send out the invitation email on August 1.
Enjoy or put up with the summer months and i’ll reach out in August.

Brian Pendergraft
Falls Lake NC (watching the Canes)

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 11:28 am
Subject: Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting – 5/20 – Birds of Taiwan — David and Judy Smith
The Chapel Hill Bird Club is holding its monthly meeting on Monday, May 20th
at 7:30 p.m. This meeting will be in-person with a Zoom option available –
registration link below. Come at 7:15 for refreshments. Location is the
lounge in Olin T. Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.

Taiwan (Republic of China) is a prosperous, friendly island nation located
about 100 miles from its larger neighbor on the mainland. Political issues
aside, it’s an easy country to visit, and the thirty-one endemic bird species
were a big attraction for our long-time members David and Judy Smith, who
spent almost two weeks there in 2023. Join them for a tour of Taiwan’s birds
and sights and our last meeting of the season.

The Bird Club will also hold elections for next season’s officers during the
May meeting.

In addition, this will be your chance to ask “Ask Kent” anything about eBird.
Kent Fiala will answer one eBird question, to be drawn from a hat. Come
prepared to submit a question. Zoom attendees will also have the opportunity
to submit a question in the Chatbox.

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcrd-qhrjIvH91j3mCjRuo8QUiDviP7YE-5

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Best regards,

Roger Shaw
<roger.w.shaw...>
Chapel Hill, NC

Back to top
Date: 5/14/24 9:42 am
Subject: Re: Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia book announcement
What a great looking book! Congratulations to all involved!

I kept clicking until I got to the view inside, which was great but also be ready for the left-right confusion: what you see on the left is the map and photos for the previous species. So I'm looking at pages 59 (map and photos of Appalachian Swallowtail) on the left, while on the right is the text account for Dainty Sulphur. You'd think book publishers would understand how book pages are laid out and set up their pdf viewer with that in mind, but never mind that, it sill looks like a wonderful reference.

Chris Hill, Ph.D.
Professor
Biology Department
Coastal Carolina University
Office: Science2 207H
(843) 349-2567
email: <chill...>

> On May 14, 2024, at 12:30 PM, Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.
>
> Fellow birders and butterfliers (as many of you birders are also into butterflies),
>
> Harry LeGrand, Jeff Pippen, Derb Carter, and Pierre Howard are excited to announce the pre-sale of the brand new UNC Press book titled Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia: A Field Guide, expected to hit bookshelves in June or July!
>
> In addition to having introductory text on butterfly biology, habitats, observing/photographing, etc., the book will feature ALL butterfly species known to have occurred in the region. Each regularly occurring species will have a two-page spread (species account) with text (identification, similar species, distribution, abundance, flight period, larval and nectar plants, and miscellaneous helpful comments) on the left-hand page. The right-hand page will feature photos, county distribution map, and a special Key Field Marks highlight box.
>
> As a special bonus, you can receive a 30% discount by entering the promo code “01SOCIAL30” (without the quotes) at the following UNC Press webpage:
>
> https://uncpress.org/book/9781469678566/butterflies-of-north-carolina-south-carolina-virginia-and-georgia/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uncpress.org/book/9781469678566/butterflies-of-north-carolina-south-carolina-virginia-and-georgia/__;!!OToaGQ!sUHqnVdmMK7SO_kuLXoM0AqdZkp3cwZHFkYRHkS39rdSDosnZcQZD6z18oH0WGM64GeZX9MVD_EBLmz1zM501GI$>
>
> NOTE: the link has a View Inside, so you can view up to 138 pages of this 456-page book. However, the facing pages on the View Inside are backwards, so that the left page is really a right-side page in the book; a given species has its species account on the left page and the facing page in the book, on the right, are the photos, map, and field marks. The quality of the photos on the View Inside are likely not as sharp as will be seen in the book -- hopefully!
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh

Back to top

Date: 5/13/24 4:33 pm
Subject: Re: Api apps
Go to https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/alerts__;!!OToaGQ!rJZqldlfJqXKMJYI5fbdPwWJjkqWSxSvgXPBKS5T2JNOQyAttuyzPrih-5EYEsfbOut1yQXiM22_Oc2zv-jsUYI$ , fill in the form under "Needs Alerts", and click "Subscribe".

For year list needs check "This year only" but for life list needs leave it unchecked.

Once you've subscribed, look under "My Alerts" at the top and for the alert you have just subscribed to, click "Change" and then select "hourly" instead of daily.

Kent Fiala

On 5/13/2024 7:25 AM, Erinn Szarek (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Is there a service or application that will put your needs list every hour? I would like a push notification or email if someone submitted a list today. I know I can just refresh ebird and look, but I still I am asking.
> Erinn
>
> Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=NativePlacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000945&af_sub5=OrganizeConquer__Static___;!!OToaGQ!vQwaymPlZDm3DHBVsVgLifNGoroAvExAzH7iC3dRrml9YHqk36CtCGwx7sLaHCflVI2DoyvMvZhPSOiUfIB8A44vkA$>

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 4:02 pm
Subject: Re: recent opinions on mid range binocs for birding?
To the original poster, you can also send your Nikons back to the company for repair. They're very good about that. Though you'd be without binocs until they got back.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

> On May 13, 2024, at 5:38 PM, Bernie Carr <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.
>
> Vortex has a lifetime guarantee. I have used the Diamondbacks and they are a decent binocular. We had a pair of Celestron binoculars, many years ago. They were not that great. Perhaps, they have improved. Good luck with whatever you choose.
>
> Bernie Carr
>
> On May 13, 2024 3:08 PM, "Herbert, Teri Lynn" <carolinabirds...> wrote:
> My Nikon Monarchs broke this weekend (lens eye cup) and I read this is quite common. They are only 13 years old, so am very disappointed. I can always use my dad’s 1940s binoculars, which still are great! but they are a bit heavy…
>
> I’ve read reviews and narrowed it down to
>
> Celestron Trailseeker ED
>
> and
>
> Vortex Diamondback HD.
>
> What are your opinions and have either of these gotten broken for you? I need something that will last 20 years…(probably more than my age allows, but am planning on a long life, haha).
>
> You can reply just to me if desired, not to the list.
>
> Thank you all very much!!
>
> Teri Lynn

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 3:57 pm
From: Will Cook <cwcook...>
Wow, good memory, Steve! We haven't been on majordomo since 2003.
Please see instructions and guidelines at

https://www.carolinanature.com/birds/cbirds.html

If you lose this link, please just Google <carolinabirds...>
To unsubscribe, send a message to <sympa...> with this text in the
body of the message (leave the subject line blank):
unsubscribe carolinabirds
Let me know if you have trouble.
Will Cook - Durham, NC <Carolinabirds-request...>

On May 13, 2024 6:06 PM, Steve <sshultz...> wrote:

Unless it’s changed, to unsubscribe, you must send an email to
<majordomo...> from your subscribed address with the word
unsubscribe in the subject line. Someone please correct me if I am
wrong. Sending a message to Carolinabirds with an unsubscribe
request will not accomplish the goal.
Steve Shultz

On May 13, 2024, at 5:56 PM, Jessica Gryglewicz
<carolinabirds...> if I am wrong. edu> wrote:

Please unsubscribe <jlgrygle...>
On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM bev2495 <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

Please unsubscribe <bev2495...>

Thank you

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 3:41 pm
I think Steve is remembering another email system. To unsubscribe
you need to send an email to: <sympa...>
In the BODY of the email, should be this one line command: unsubscribe
carolinabirds

--
Ann Brice

*First Wilson Properties, Real Estate Broker, GRI
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.FirstWilsonProperties.com__;!!OToaGQ!tUjFrMJK6VBqybUOEHj_-vJ2p7vSP_0H_2Un0As_iIpHyQfTsJZz_YApN-CUYzBAajIuIMCMHvFQVcMipU-73A$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.firstwilsonproperties.com/__;!!OToaGQ!tUjFrMJK6VBqybUOEHj_-vJ2p7vSP_0H_2Un0As_iIpHyQfTsJZz_YApN-CUYzBAajIuIMCMHvFQVcNRNcv56Q$ >*

<ann.brice...>
cell: 252 373-0326
office: 252 237-9900
fax: 252 243-9600

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 3:07 pm
From: Steve <sshultz...>
Subject: Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 3:06 pm
From: Steve <sshultz...>

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 2:56 pm
Please unsubscribe <jlgrygle...>

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM bev2495 <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Please unsubscribe <bev2495...>
>

> Thank you

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 2:46 pm
Please unsubscribe <bev2495...> <mailto:<bev2495...>

Thank you

Back to top

Date: 5/13/24 2:34 pm
All of the birds that can are gorging themselves on them. Some may be
tiring of the steady diet...

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 4:58 PM Sally Robertson <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> I’ve been meaning to ask the list about this. My bird seed and suet have
> been moving much slower lately and I wondered if the birds are eating
> cicadas instead. There have been a lot of cicadas here since late April.
> The birds I've seen with cicadas so far (1 each) are Carolina wren,
> cardinal and red-eyed vireo.
>
> Sally Robertson
> Carrboro, NC
> ______________________
> Sally Robertson
> 919-817-9805
> <sallyerobertson57...>

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 2:02 pm
Unsubscribe

Back to top

Date: 5/13/24 12:20 pm
Teri,

I’ve used Vortex optics for work for 12 years now (Razor scope, Viper and Diamondback binoculars), and love them, for the durability, but also for their no-questions-asked lifetime warranty when accidents inevitably happen. I’ve had things come back repaired (or replaced with new optics) in as little as 2 weeks before. Not as sure of Celestron’s customer service, but I can HIGHLY recommend Vortex.

Ed Corey
Inventory Biologist
NC Division of Parks and Recreation
NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ncdcr.gov/__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2Hi3QpIe$ >
[Text Description automatically generated]
Office: 919-841-4037
Mobile: 919-208-7864
<Ed.Corey...>
Yorkshire Center
12700 Bayleaf Church Road
Raleigh, NC 27614
Twitter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/ncculture__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2HGi7pWy$ > | Facebook<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaCulture__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2JBklax4$ > | Instagram<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.instagram.com/ncculture/__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2Hln3dO3$ > | YouTube<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLfbnzwVhIdW10LIEnzUY2Q__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2ESNlEXL$ > | LinkedIn<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/company/north-carolina-department-of-cultural-resources__;!!OToaGQ!vLN1uFev66T3r-Wo2JULBEvOPzJy8CDY9eHlUW04yRdjX8oorbCM5R6pl6ngmOQ-VRZZ--pqBwsYnpou2Iuu4yBe$ >
Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

Date: 5/13/24 12:14 pm
I visited Lake Crabtree County Park today in west Raleigh/Morrisville and
there are still a good number of cicadas calling but as Michael suggested
there are alot of carcasses and obviously spent but living cicadas along
many of the trails. The sound emanating from the myriads in the treetops is
otherworldly.
JC

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 1:55 PM Lynda Haake <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I have witnessed Carolina Chickadees and Cardinals feasting on them. FYI.
>
> Lynda
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 11, 2024, at 12:50 PM, Michael Fogleman <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>

> Birds are definitely feeding on them.
>
> I have a camera in a bluebird box in my backyard. Mom's in there
> incubating and dad has been bringing mostly spiders and cicadas for her to
> eat. Here's a video showing several cicada feedings:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/bluebird-cicadas.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!urv-ke021xCcM999nOea8YbiVmiqiIR-YPOltevrRXijPipzXQnzLhTcbTyj8nUW3OZhq-bZ-Or0XaSZlt3QrAAI9A$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/bluebird-cicadas.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!oR7jJ7mMzEUMX_lQKwQJPlKVuQ0AQAzrfizNxFZbz-Y2-ymPsFMLxmOjuQ7Zg9yH9xLo0BsgIrCv1GS-jaWx$>
>
> Last night, I saw some screech owl nestlings get their first food delivery
> of the evening from dad, and of course it was a cicada (this was at Harris
> Lake County Park):
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/screech-owl-cicada.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!urv-ke021xCcM999nOea8YbiVmiqiIR-YPOltevrRXijPipzXQnzLhTcbTyj8nUW3OZhq-bZ-Or0XaSZlt283EGE9Q$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/screech-owl-cicada.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!oR7jJ7mMzEUMX_lQKwQJPlKVuQ0AQAzrfizNxFZbz-Y2-ymPsFMLxmOjuQ7Zg9yH9xLo0BsgIrCv1E6H4fA7$>
>
> Cicada numbers there seem pretty high. I measured their noise at 75 dB
> with an app on my phone a few days ago.
>
> I also saw a Red-winged Blackbird eat one at Sandy Creek Park in Durham.
>
> You better hurry up though, it looks like the cicadas are starting to die
> off naturally now, at least here in the Triangle.
>
> Michael Fogleman
> Cary, NC
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 7:26 AM Wayne Hoffman <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I am looking for locations where large numbers of the Brood XIX Cicadas
>> are emerging, I would like to see whether any birds are feeding on them.
>> Places with both cicadas and Mississippi Kites would be awesome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wayne Hoffman
>> Wilmington

Back to top

Date: 5/13/24 10:55 am

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 4:26 am
Subject: Api apps

Date: 5/11/24 9:50 am

wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am looking for locations where large numbers of the Brood XIX Cicadas
> are emerging, I would like to see whether any birds are feeding on them.
> Places with both cicadas and Mississippi Kites would be awesome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne Hoffman
> Wilmington

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 6:05 am
Subject: Fwd: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
Date: 5/11/24 4:48 am
(Unfortunately, those are not very reliable areas for MIKI, though.)

Kevin Kubach
Greenville, SC

> On May 11, 2024, at 7:26 AM, Wayne Hoffman <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>

> Hi -
>
> I am looking for locations where large numbers of the Brood XIX Cicadas are emerging, I would like to see whether any birds are feeding on them. Places with both cicadas and Mississippi Kites would be awesome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne Hoffman
> Wilmington

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 4:38 am
Last week, a friend of mine reported a density of around 1 cicada per square foot of water on the surface of upper Lake Greenwood, South Carolina. They might be farther along there than you are seeking?

Early this past week I heard the loudest cicada activity I’ve experienced so far at Kings Mountain State Park, SC. You could hardly hear your own footsteps.

Generally speaking, the “middle Piedmont” elevations of SC seem to be quite heavy with them.

Kevin Kubach,
Greenville, SC

> On May 11, 2024, at 7:26 AM, Wayne Hoffman <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>

> Hi -
>
> I am looking for locations where large numbers of the Brood XIX Cicadas are emerging, I would like to see whether any birds are feeding on them. Places with both cicadas and Mississippi Kites would be awesome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne Hoffman
> Wilmington

Back to top

Date: 5/10/24 1:52 pm
Subject: surveyors needed for NC Mini Breeding Bird Survey
Hello all,

We are looking for volunteers interested in helping conduct roadside NC Mini Breeding Bird Survey<minibbs.us>s in Orange, Durham, and Chatham counties (NC) this year.

To participate, you need to be comfortable identifying our common breeding birds by sight and sound, and are ideally willing to take on this one-morning-per-year effort (typically 5:30 - 7:30 am sometime between May 15 and June 30) for at least a few years. Continuity in observers greatly increases the quality of the data, and we are lucky to have some of the same observers for 25+ years!

If you are interested in taking on a route this year, or riding along with a current observer with the intention of fully taking over in 2025 please email me! Riding along with someone before they retire from the MBBS is a great way to transition a route to a new observer and to learn some of the stop landmarks and the avian gems to keep an ear out for along the way.

We have open routes in both Orange and Chatham county.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to the variety of projects in our area, including eBird, the North American BBS, the Mini BBS, the Triangle Bird Count, and the NC Bird Atlas. All of these are wonderful complementary initiatives that help us better understand various facets of our local bird populations. You can view species trends from the NC MBBS here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://minibbs.us/results/__;!!OToaGQ!oEqOc-Ycr-YZpEaz7N0qPtGZwWqFZzRrFsEk9EcCy50h2Pwf6cbOBQTnG0iWV3tMJxnvfQ2xOESQUco__AgKxDdT$ >.

Best,

Allen Hurlbert
Professor
Department of Biology
University of North Carolina

P.S. If you are a current MBBS surveyor and have not let me know whether you will be running your route this year, please do soon!

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 5:20 pm
Subject: Prairie Ridge Ecostation (Wake NC) opens at 6am Friday May 10 for early birding
Two birding opportunities:
The Prairie Ridge Ecostation (Wake NC) will open at 6am on Friday May
10 for early birding, 6 am to 9 am (gates are usually locked until 9
am). (Note that PR is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays).
Location: 1671 Gold Star Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607
For more information, visit:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://naturalsciences.org/calendar/event/early-birds-at-prairie-ridge-4/2024-05-10/__;!!OToaGQ!u-PpURMKRm4-ycfHy_ggDP_ktGdyskIZF8uaJq7xq9yP_prXQmb0B_yUF2ERhnl_1DqEPpfvhBA0owEK0WZvDg$
I will be Atlas-birding in Stancils Chapel SE May 10 so I will miss this one.

Also, Wake Audubon and the NC Museum of Natural Sciences are holding a
trip in search of HENSLOW'S SPARROW and other meadow birds at the
Voice of America grasslands on Saturday May 11. For more information
see:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.meetup.com/wake-audubon-meetup/events/300812794/__;!!OToaGQ!u-PpURMKRm4-ycfHy_ggDP_ktGdyskIZF8uaJq7xq9yP_prXQmb0B_yUF2ERhnl_1DqEPpfvhBA0owGV5dU9LA$

You don't need to be a member of Meetup to see the information, but
you have to contact the leader to register. Space is limited;
departing from Prairie Ridge at 6 am and returning by 2 pm, using two
vehicles to carpool. About a two-hour drive each way. Pack binoculars
(skip the scope), snacks, water, sunscreen and be prepared to walk.
I wish I was going!
Good birding to you all,
Lynn Ela Beegle aka the NC Bird Atlas Queen, Raleigh North Carolina

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 5:10 pm
Please unsubscribe <randee.l.gordon...>
Thanks!
Randee

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: Conservation win in SC
Great news! Thanks for the update.
Helen

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 1:44 PM <sshultz...> wrote:

> Hi all-
> Wanted to share some good conservation news from way down there in the
> humid lowlands of SC. Ducks Unlimited and Vulcan Materials Company are
> collaborating to help fund DU’s Eastern Black Rail Restoration Project at
> the Tibwin complex within Francis Marion NF in Charleston County. The work
> will, among other goals, create two separate impoundments that provide life
> cycle needs for Black Rails (and all the other critters and plants that
> co-occupy the habitat) and is part of a multi-year effort to conserve
> habitat. This project area is publicly accessible, and improvements also
> enhance birding opportunities at the site.
>

> I was recently reminded that “Conservation without Funding is just
> Conversation”, so it is nice to see organizations such as DU and Vulcan
> partnering and committing necessary funding to make something like this
> happen.
>

> Best,
> Steve Shultz
>
> Apex, NC

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 1:20 pm
Hooray! Thanks for the good news.

Maggie Strickland
Winston Salem

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 1:44 PM <sshultz...> wrote:

> Hi all-
> Wanted to share some good conservation news from way down there in the
> humid lowlands of SC. Ducks Unlimited and Vulcan Materials Company are
> collaborating to help fund DU’s Eastern Black Rail Restoration Project at
> the Tibwin complex within Francis Marion NF in Charleston County. The work
> will, among other goals, create two separate impoundments that provide life
> cycle needs for Black Rails (and all the other critters and plants that
> co-occupy the habitat) and is part of a multi-year effort to conserve
> habitat. This project area is publicly accessible, and improvements also
> enhance birding opportunities at the site.
>

> I was recently reminded that “Conservation without Funding is just
> Conversation”, so it is nice to see organizations such as DU and Vulcan
> partnering and committing necessary funding to make something like this
> happen.
>

> Best,
> Steve Shultz
>
> Apex, NC

Back to top

Date: 5/9/24 9:54 am
From: Steve <sshultz...>
Subject: Re: eastern screech owls

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 8:58 am
There are probably babies inside, and they're probably getting close to
fledging. It'll be getting crowded and hot inside now and so mom is more
likely to perch at the opening during the day. Dad is probably perched
outside not too far away, but he might be hard to find.

Last year I observed a screech owl nest at Harris Lake County Park in New
Hill, NC. It was in an old Pileated Woodpecker nest cavity. There were
three babies, and they fledged on May 5 and May 6. This year I'm observing
another one not far from last year's and I first saw a baby poke its head
out a couple days ago, so a little later than last year's timeline.

Watch the box at dusk and for some time after dusk, you'll probably see
some activity. Mom will leave maybe 10 minutes after sunset and the babies
might look out. You might see some food being brought to them.

They will also use the boxes on cold days in the winter. In my experience
they otherwise don't use cavities much and usually roost pretty high up in
the trees.

Video from last year: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obPU6BAMsp0__;!!OToaGQ!uT4Ic4UqSXaS-fGjzCQuf_UPgMF2mZk0jSX2qszJfcVYZ3XMwmAgHDBJ8gV7PUfxRWlVz5rts8MmK2KEP1nO$

Enjoy! Report back!

Michael Fogleman
Cary, NC

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 11:43 AM "<k.grinnell...>" <
<carolinabirds...> wrote:

> in 2017 when my husband Phil asked what I might like for a birthday gift,
> I requested a screech owl box. I'm not really a jewelry person. He
> thoughtfully went about building a box from the specs he read about online.
> We carefully installed it on a front yard tree at the appropriate height
> etc. Much to my disappointment, we had no success with nesting owls that
> year.
>
> The next year, the box was inhabited by honey bees, who built a bustling
> hive in it. This made a migrating summer tanager quite happy for her brief
> stay. The beekeeper who came for the bees couldn't save the box.
>
> The following ye ar for my birthday Phil built a new box *and* a friend,
> knowing about the honey bee box demolition, also gifted me one. What the
> heck, we put them both up in different places in our front yard. So - that
> year we had nesting squirrels. Not really a goal.
>
> We've watched both red bellied and pileated woodpeckers looking at the
> boxes, but no nesting.
>
> Reading about screech owls, I concluded this just takes patience. Surely
> the owls would come soon.
>
> Today, more than 6 years later, we saw a little red screech owl head
> sticking out of the nest box hole. I'm so excited! But... I'm also
> confused. I thought they nested in winter. Have they been nesting there
> for months and we just hadn't looked up?
>
> Could others please share your their knowledge and experience with screech
> owls nesting in the Carolinas? When do they nest in the coastal Carolinas,
> why would an owl be in the box now (head sticking out in the early
> afternoon)? I did read they aren't likely to migrate so will they stay in
> this territory, possibly even our yard? Will they use the box outside of
> nesting season?
>
> Birds are a never ending source of fascination and learning!
>
> Kay
> Hilton Head Island SC
> Hilton Head Plantation
>

> < br>
> Kay Grinnell
> <k.grinnell...>
> 843 597-3633 cell

Back to top

Date: 5/9/24 8:27 am
Please unsubscribe <thkrakauer...> from all emails. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 12:33 pm
Subject: Re: Swallow-tailed Kite in Orange Co., NC
Mark Montazer saw an individual near Pittsboro perhaps a week prior, just
to add to the murky picture.

-Sandy

Sandy Cash
Carrboro, NC, USA

On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 1:14 PM Will Cook <cwcook...> wrote:

> [...]
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S172289868__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXyZLURhcA$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S172289868__;!!OToaGQ!trIFEQh5QAHVVo7SFxvw-8ojsldb9BRX4eBheUrWq_DYFE6TUke4QexCioz0eymosuj4pQb4cMyKpkDBkMC1suGe$>
>
> It's probably in Person or Granville County by now...
>
> Brian Bockhahn wrote to mention that "on May 3 2024 David Schroder
> photographed a swallow tailed kite at the dan river game lands during the
> Rockingham county spring bird count. Same bird?"
>
> Will
> On 5/6/2024 10:33 AM, Will Cook (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
>
> A Swallow-tailed Kite was found Saturday May 4th at the Belle Vie Farm
> near Chapel Hill in Orange County, NC. It was photographed by several
> observers and relocated by one observer on Sunday. A first documented
> county record, I think!
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171928154__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXwyDb_2OQ$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171928154__;!!OToaGQ!v4F5G99fvmFtgiNQmA7tunxK0A3uIPUUBYeetcD9qoHzecitZsE4oNjSLChnLxFtEtydOFi41sMnShHURELp$>
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171887690__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXyr8g0u8Q$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171887690__;!!OToaGQ!v4F5G99fvmFtgiNQmA7tunxK0A3uIPUUBYeetcD9qoHzecitZsE4oNjSLChnLxFtEtydOFi41sMnShRaTrxn$>
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171924803__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXxFD17v7A$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171924803__;!!OToaGQ!v4F5G99fvmFtgiNQmA7tunxK0A3uIPUUBYeetcD9qoHzecitZsE4oNjSLChnLxFtEtydOFi41sMnSvYix8u4$>
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171954211__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXzSG2FD8Q$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S171954211__;!!OToaGQ!v4F5G99fvmFtgiNQmA7tunxK0A3uIPUUBYeetcD9qoHzecitZsE4oNjSLChnLxFtEtydOFi41sMnSttrLbqM$>
>
> For anyone looking today, the owner of Belle Vie Farm would appreciate
> emailing for permission before stopping at their property to look - see
> below.
>
> --
> Will Cook - Durham, NChttps://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.carolinanature.com__;!!OToaGQ!q-fOodZK25NLVKminWJ0n1-gLc-1kzE8-DS5N5VhXN8ZC4kVsuCp8FAASClgFMtHiTonTLt8AbVhZcYY_JbjwXy6b4-quA$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.carolinanature.com__;!!OToaGQ!trIFEQh5QAHVVo7SFxvw-8ojsldb9BRX4eBheUrWq_DYFE6TUke4QexCioz0eymosuj4pQb4cMyKpkDBkP2APd_U$>

Back to top
Date: 5/7/24 10:14 am
From: Will Cook <cwcook...>

wrote:

A Swallow-tailed Kite was found Saturday May 4th at the Belle Vie Farm
near Chapel Hill in Orange County, NC. It was photographed by several
observers and relocated by one observer on Sunday. A first documented
county record, I think!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S171928154

https://ebird.org/checklist/S171887690

https://ebird.org/checklist/S171924803

https://ebird.org/checklist/S171954211

For anyone looking today, the owner of Belle Vie Farm would appreciate
emailing for permission before stopping at their property to look -
see below.

--
Will Cook - Durham, NC www.carolinanature.com

Back to top
Date: 5/7/24 7:12 am
From: Steve <sshultz...>
Subject: Re: Swainson's Thrush
Congratulations!

Always nice to find one of these northern thrushes during migration.

My personal experience is that they’re a bit easier to find in fall than spring, and while a fairly common migrant, they are rather unassuming and easy to miss.

In fact, this was a species that Audubon “missed” even though he lived in Kentucky where the bird is as common, if not more so, than here.

Ok, that was a shameless teaser for Ken Kaufman’s new book The Birds Audubon Missed. An amazing and impressive read… released today!!

Steve Shultz
Apex NC

> On May 7, 2024, at 8:23 AM, Helen Kalevas <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>

> On the Little River near Hillsborough, NC. I don't remember having one here before! I saw on eBird that one was reported about a week ago at Little River Regional Park which is close to here.
> Helen

Back to top

Date: 5/7/24 4:50 am
From: <badgerboy...>
Subject: Watauga Spring Count this Saturday, May 11
If anyone on the listserv is planning to be birding in Watauga County on
Saturday, the 11th, and would like to contribute observations to the
Watauga Spring Count, please get back with me. There are many excellent
birding sites that need better coverage.

Thanks, Guy

Guy McGrane, Boone NC

Back to top

Date: 5/5/24 5:32 am
Subject: Unconventional life history in a migratory shorebird: desegregating reproduction and migration | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
Good Morning. Over the past few years we’ve had several good conversations about Woodcock breeding strategies. A lot of the mystery appears to have been solved with the recent publication of this (truly groundbreaking) study:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2024.0021__;!!OToaGQ!oGNvl31-iRH0Ct1WnjKcH4wyPZufORLjkYMuNL-D6xGUhUin3omA_i84mJw-AscyGBN8KSxGxx7Ac9WOBzgi$

Audubon summary: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.audubon.org/news/woodcocks-dont-let-migration-mess-their-sex-lives__;!!OToaGQ!oGNvl31-iRH0Ct1WnjKcH4wyPZufORLjkYMuNL-D6xGUhUin3omA_i84mJw-AscyGBN8KSxGxx7Acz0KLkkI$

Kevin Kubach
Greenville, SC

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 10:27 am
Subject: Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

I am posting my annual opportunity to participate in a Citizens Science
Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs.I am
trying to determine the nature of migratory pathways taken by different
song populations of Mourning Warbler males during their spring
migration.I am continuing to collect your recordings and plot them on a
map of North America to determine if and where birds with different song
types (regiolects) separate from each other during spring migration.The
most current map of songs of migrants is at the web site below.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>*2C-85.09712735&z=5__;JQ!!OToaGQ!vanEWceMowjs6YQGbdwc31T4IhJfLtGTwqJ6-xTZfoClHDnAcP_D1hcAGNvAktkfe4BTaGjJruDjjHZhnnUq$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>*2C-85.09712735&z=5__;JQ!!OToaGQ!vanEWceMowjs6YQGbdwc31T4IhJfLtGTwqJ6-xTZfoClHDnAcP_D1hcAGNvAktkfe4BTaGjJruDjjHZhnnUq$ >

All you need is a Smartphone and a singing Mourning Warbler.You can send
the recordings to my e-mail address (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).The web
page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your
Smartphone in more detail.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/__;!!OToaGQ!vanEWceMowjs6YQGbdwc31T4IhJfLtGTwqJ6-xTZfoClHDnAcP_D1hcAGNvAktkfe4BTaGjJruDjjMoT_2zU$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/__;!!OToaGQ!vanEWceMowjs6YQGbdwc31T4IhJfLtGTwqJ6-xTZfoClHDnAcP_D1hcAGNvAktkfe4BTaGjJruDjjMoT_2zU$ >

This year is the 10^th and final year of data collection.I very much
appreciate your past and present contributions to this Citizens Science
Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Professor Emeritus

Biology Department

Saint Anselm College

Manchester, NH 03102

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 8:54 am
From: Will Cook <cwcook...>
Subject: Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count - Saturday 4 May 2024
The 68th annual Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count is set for Saturday, May
4th. It's a lot of fun - please let me know if you would like to join
us! Several good areas are open - I'm particularly looking for someone
to count Stagecoach Road, which Brian Bockhahn can tell you is a fun
spot.

Forms, tentative assignments, count circle map, and procedures are all
at http://chbc.carolinanature.com/

Thanks!

Will

Date: 4/30/24 2:13 pm
Subject: Wilson's Phalarope video from the Yawkey Wildlife Center
Wilson's Phalaropes are moving through now - I had seven at the Yawkey
Wildlife Center this past Saturday on a shorebird survey.

So keep an eye out at your local sewage treatment plant, spoil site, muddy
lake cove (Jordan or Hartwell, etc.), or drained ricefield / moist soil
managed wetland in coming days.

Here is some video (up to 4K quality) of two of the birds:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/u7BAcFGTPAM__;!!OToaGQ!oevrPriPEz7wb9he4Cm5r3xY6zDIaJCRqXhGWqhNmyaKvdqBykexhbC5cW1SrJNBCE_VuJDI-NJzm3sBtSrA6J-PgE93$

youtu.be/u7BAcFGTPAM

They were too far from the main dike to get a good photo or video, so I
walked down to the beach road, headed towards the beach a bit, then cut
through the woods and pushed out through the Phragmites and Juncus, etc. to
get closer. The impoundment had been in the process of being drained for
over three weeks, so there was just enough crust on top of the mud for me
to walk out that far.

I was here when shooting the video:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/place/33**A10'14.6*22N*79**A12'59.3*22W/@33.1707251,-79.2171291,176m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d33.170724!4d-79.216484?entry=ttu__;wrAlK8KwJQ!!OToaGQ!oevrPriPEz7wb9he4Cm5r3xY6zDIaJCRqXhGWqhNmyaKvdqBykexhbC5cW1SrJNBCE_VuJDI-NJzm3sBtSrA6DIu0xCF$

google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B010'14.6%22N+79%C2%B012'59.3%22W/@33.1707251,-79.2171291,176m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d33.170724!4d-79.216484?entry=ttu

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

--
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/__;!!OToaGQ!oevrPriPEz7wb9he4Cm5r3xY6zDIaJCRqXhGWqhNmyaKvdqBykexhbC5cW1SrJNBCE_VuJDI-NJzm3sBtSrA6HSZOifH$

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands more
skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle
shot." -- Bror Blixen

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 7:33 am
Subject: Upcoming spring bird counts help needed
Hello all, hope you are enjoying migration, waves of new birds each day it
seems! Had some goodies at lake orange in orange county NC this past week,
common tern and flyover wood storks!

Volunteers are needed on some of the upcoming spring bird counts:

Durham April 28 Sunday: several good areas open
Falls Lake April 29 Monday: several good areas open
Kerr Lake April 30 Tuesday: a few good areas open, large turf up there
Pilot Mountain May 2 Thursday: enough volunteers, but more eyes the better
Mayo River May 3 Friday: several good areas open
Haw River May 4 Saturday: several good areas open, just can't get
volunteers for this count north of Greensboro, maybe everyone is atlasing
instead, or in addition please haha.

Compilation is done via ebird trip report, so if you are interested in
joining please let me know and provide your ebird user name or email
associated with the account is fine too.

thanks all

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 8:08 am
From: scompton1251 <scompton1251...>
Subject: CBC Friday trip Francis Marion
Birders,If you are going with me on Friday morning to the Francis Marion National Forest please review the songs and calls of our two target species: Bachman's Sparrow and Red-cockaded Woodpecker. They can be shy and we don't want to do any coaxing as these are sensitive species.Weather should be cool: 60's all.morning, so these and many other species should be active and vocal. Besides the pine woods we will.also pass through hardwood wetlands, so there are many possibilities.Thanks,Steve Compton843-709-2554Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 9:56 am
Subject: Confused bird
I’ve had cardinals going after their reflection my car mirrors for years, pecking away and smearing the mirror—a minor nuisance but now someone else has a problem.
A pileated woodpecker has been attacking his reflection in one of my house windows! Fortunately it’s one with a metal frame, though he makes quite a racket. On the good side I do get closeups with the bird!
Skip Hancock
Coinjock

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 7:17 am
Subject: Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting - 4/22 - Anders and Beverly Gyllenhaal — The Race to Save Our Vanishing Birds
The Chapel Hill Bird Club is holding its monthly meeting on Monday, April 22nd
at 7:30 p.m. This meeting will be in-person with a Zoom option available.
Come at 7:15 for refreshments. Location is the lounge in Olin T. Binkley
Baptist Church, corner of Highway 15-501 Bypass and Willow Drive, behind
University Mall. Address: 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.

Anders and Beverly Gyllenhaal will walk through highlights of their book, A
Wing and a Prayer: The Race to Save Our Vanishing Birds. This is the story of
what’s being done to save birds in the midst of dramatic downturns in North
American populations. Their presentation draws on their 25,000 miles of travel
across the hemisphere researching the book, interviews with 300 people in
every station in the world of birds, and scores of photos of the birds
featured in these pages.

Anders and Beverly are veteran journalists who’ve worked for decades as
reporters and editors. Beverly was a feature writer, then food editor, and
finally syndicated columnist and cookbook author. Anders was an investigative
reporter at The Miami Herald, then went on to lead newsrooms in Raleigh,
Minneapolis, Miami and Washington. He’s long been active in journalism
circles, serving on the board of the Pulitzer Prizes, Society of Newspaper
Editors and Journalism Funding Partners. As their work slowed down, they
started following birds and photographing and writing about them for magazines
and newspapers around the country. They also publish a photo-rich website,
FlyingLessons.US: What We’re Learning from the Birds.

Also, this will be your chance to ask “Ask Kent” anything about eBird. Kent

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vdumqqjorGNftBnOSt108Rv2DXmCQLxBE

Date: 4/19/24 6:24 pm
Subject: Re: It's a strange time of year
We finally have our summer resident Cat Birds!

Beth Garver
Burke County, NC

Sent from Gmail Mobile

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 5:04 PM Bert Fisher <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Same here. I love April!
>
> Have had lots of spring migrants here today including:
> summer and scarlet tanager
> indigo bunting
> rose-breasted grosbeak
> red-eyed and blue-headed vireo
> cape may and black-throated green warbler
> ovenbird
> northern parula
> ruby-throated hummingbird
>
> As well as several lingering “winter” species:
> pine siskin
> purple finch (female)
> white-throated sparrow (several)
> hermit thrush
> golden-crowned and ruby-crowned kinglet
>
> All from a stationary position.
>
> It’s been a great day to be a birder! (Of course, one could say that about
> most every day!)
>
> Bert Fisher
> Hillsborough, NC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 19, 2024, at 12:42 PM, Helen Kalevas <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>

> Ditto Michael. I'm hearing my foy summer tanager as of today and still
> hearing white-throated sparrows.
> Helen
> Near Hillsborough, NC
>

> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!qdA4DHH1aIfKbNP2iFbWMePTu8UL5sXR-MpHyrV5512hoki9fHv4cArIyUUXBYTixUOL_4ZnYA8Pm6Qq3liP$>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!qdA4DHH1aIfKbNP2iFbWMePTu8UL5sXR-MpHyrV5512hoki9fHv4cArIyUUXBYTixUOL_4ZnYA8Pm6Qq3liP$>
> <#m_-5874969219344886648_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM Michael Clark <mdc...> wrote:
>
>> I just heard my FOY Summer Tanager, but I still have Pine Siskins on the
>> feeder.
>>
>> Michael Clark
>> Durham County, NC

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 2:04 pm

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 10:37 am

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 9:42 am
Ditto Michael. I'm hearing my foy summer tanager as of today and still
hearing white-throated sparrows.
Helen
Near Hillsborough, NC

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!qdA4DHH1aIfKbNP2iFbWMePTu8UL5sXR-MpHyrV5512hoki9fHv4cArIyUUXBYTixUOL_4ZnYA8Pm6Qq3liP$ >
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!qdA4DHH1aIfKbNP2iFbWMePTu8UL5sXR-MpHyrV5512hoki9fHv4cArIyUUXBYTixUOL_4ZnYA8Pm6Qq3liP$ >
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM Michael Clark <mdc...> wrote:

> I just heard my FOY Summer Tanager, but I still have Pine Siskins on the
> feeder.
>
> Michael Clark
> Durham County, NC

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 6:07 am
From: Michael Clark <mdc...>
Subject: It's a strange time of year
I just heard my FOY Summer Tanager, but I still have Pine Siskins on the feeder.

Michael Clark
Durham County, NC

Join us on Facebook!