inlandcountybirds
Received From Subject
5/20/24 7:16 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 19 May 2024
5/16/24 8:21 am Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...> [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 16, 2024
5/16/24 8:09 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea - south 15 May 2024
5/15/24 5:57 am Brad Singer via groups.io <bcsinger...> [inlandcountybirds] San Bernardino Valley Audubon Potluck tonight
5/12/24 6:49 pm James Pike via groups.io <jimpike444...> [inlandcountybirds] east mojave 10-12 may
5/11/24 11:18 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 10 May 2024
5/9/24 12:57 pm Matt Grube via groups.io <mattgrube...> [inlandcountybirds] Hybrid returns to Big Morongo
5/9/24 7:21 am Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...> [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 9, 2024
5/9/24 5:54 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 8 May 2024
5/8/24 10:00 am Bill Deppe via groups.io <bdeppe...> [inlandcountybirds] Mojave Narrows Regional Park
5/3/24 7:06 am <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...> [inlandcountybirds] Zzyzzx birding access?
5/2/24 8:35 am Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...> [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 2, 2024
5/2/24 7:59 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 1 May 2024
4/25/24 12:43 pm Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...> [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: April 25, 2024
4/25/24 7:44 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 24 April 2024
4/22/24 2:14 pm James Pike via groups.io <jimpike444...> [inlandcountybirds] solitary

Back to top
Date: 5/20/24 7:16 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 19 May 2024
I spent part of Sunday 19 May 2024 (5:30 AM to 1:30 PM) at a few select
locations in the Imperial Valley and along part of the south shore of the
Salton Sea. I started the day at Fig Lagoon and the Rio Bend Golfcourse. I
then looked for birds along the New River east of Fig Lagoon to near
Forrester Road (no Yellow-breasted Chat or Blue Grosbeak). I then drove
north on Forrester Road through Westmorland to near the west end of Young
Road. I then drove northeastward along the "seawall" to the north end of
Lack Road. I then looked briefly around the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge HQ. From the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ I drove east to
the Earthrise Nitritionals Facilities adjacent to Highway 111 north of
Calipatria, stopping to look at the Hazard Unit and Morton Bay on the way. I
then drove south through Calipatria into Brawley. In Brawley I looked
briefly at Riverview Cemetery and Jeffery Thornton Park. From Brawley I
drove south to Sunbeam Lake, stopping at the intersection of Carter and
Fites and Sheldon Reservoir on the way. I then drove west to San Diego,
stopping at Fig Lagoon before leaving the Imperial Valley.

Clear with periods of wind, and with temperatures ranging from 65 to 95
degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Brant (1 - one at the intersection of Lack and
Grubel Roads is the only one that I have encountered at the Salton Sink this
year), Cinnamon Teal (1), Mallard (25), Ruddy Duck (15), Gambell's Quail
(5), Pied-billed Grebe (5), Eared Grebe (500), Western Grebe (4), Clark's
Grebe (15 - including four at nests on Morton Bay), Rock Pigeon (20),
Eurasian Collared-Dove (100), Common Ground-Dove (5), White-winged Dove
(20), Mourning Dove (25), Greater Roadrunner (1), Lesser Nighthawk (2),
Anna's Hummingbird (2), Ridgeway's Rail (1), Common Gallinule (1), American
Coot (10), Black-necked Stilt (35), American Avocet (200), Black-bellied
Plover (2), Killdeer (10), Semipalmated Plover (5), Snowy Plover (15),
Whimbrel (20), Long-billed Curlew (3 - three with Whimbrel and other
water-birds in an irrigated field immediately south of the intersection of
Sinclair Road and Highway 111), Black Turnstone (2 - two together at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads were believed to be the same two
present here since 10 May), Red Knot (3 - three in alternate-plumage at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads), Sanderling (5 - five together at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads), Western Sandpiper (2), Long-billed
Dowitcher (2), Spotted Sandpiper (15), Willet (6), Wilson's Phalarope (1),
Red-necked Phalarope (2), Bonaparte's Gull (20), Laughing Gull (1 - one in
sub-adult at Fig Lagoon), Heerman's Gull (1 - one adult in alternate-plumage
with nesting California Gulls at the Earthrise Nitritionals Facilities north
of Calipatria), Ring-billed Gull (20), California Gull (250 - including
about 150 at the Earthrise Nitritionals Facilities north of Calipatria ware
many were sitting on nests), Gull-billed Tern (10 - about ten on the spoil
islands off the west end of Young Road), Caspian Tern (25), Black Tern (30),
Forster's Tern (15), Black Skimmer (2 - two on the spoil islands off the
west end of Young Road), Common Loon (1 - one adult in alternate-plumage on
Fig Lagoon first thing in the morning), Double-crested Cormorant (15),
Neotropic Cormorant (15), Brown Pelican (1), Great Blue Heron (5), Great
Egret (25), Snowy Egret (15), Cattle Egret (250), Green Heron (1),
White-faced Ibis (350), Turkey Vulture (6), Burrowing Owl (10), Gila
Woodpecker (2), Ladder-backed Woodpecker (1), American Kestrel (10), Western
Kingbird (5), Western Wood-Pewee (1), Black Phoebe (6), Vermilion Flycatcher
(2), Common Raven (4), Verdin (6), Northern Rough-winged Swallow (4), Barn
Swallow (3 - three with Cliff Swallows at the intersection of Carter and
Fites Roads southwest of Brawley), Cliff Swallow (150), Marsh Wren (5),
Northern Mockingbird (5), European Starling (100), House Sparrow (15), House
Finch (20), Song Sparrow (5), Abert's Towhee (6), Yellow-headed Blackbird
(1), Western Meadowlark (15), Red-winged Blackbird (100), Bronzed Cowbird (1
- an adult male at xx in Brawley), Brown-headed Cowbird (5), Brewer's
Blackbird (15), Great-tailed Grackle (75), Common Yellowthroat (1), Yellow
Warbler (3), Wilson's Warbler (2) and Western Tanager (1) - 86 species.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 8:21 am
From: Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 16, 2024
RBA

* California
* Southeastern
* May 16, 2024
* CASE24.05.16

This is the Southeastern CA weekly RBA summary. We cover Imperial, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. California Bird Records Committee review species are denoted by asterisks. To report a bird POST TO INLANDCOUNTYBIRDS (https://groups.io/g/inlandcountybirds). If there is some reason that you cannot post there, please e-mail or call/text Tom Benson at <tbenson...> or (909) 648-0899.

Birds mentioned:

Black Turnstone
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Brown Pelican
Broad-winged Hawk
Zone-tailed Hawk
Bronzed Cowbird
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY

Up to two BROWN PELICANS continued at Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park through May 13 (Scott Taylor).

A BROWN PELICAN continued at Prado Regional Park through May 11 (Mike Brossart).

A BROAD-WINGED HAWK was seen at Mojave River at Interstate 15 on May 11 (Jeff Spaulding).

RIVERSIDE COUNTY

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK was seen at Palo Verde Ecological Reserve on May 9 (Bob Packard).

A BRONZED COWBIRD was reported at La Quinta Trilogy Golf Course on May 11 (Marilyn Waterman).

IMPERIAL COUNTY

Two BLACK TURNSTONES continued at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads through May 15 (Guy McCaskie).

A SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was seen at Unit 1 Salton Sea NWR on May 10 (Bill Tweit).

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was seen in Niland on May 15 (Guy McCaskie).

Birds included in this weekly summary are those that are considered casual or of less than annual occurrence in San Bernardino, Riverside, or Imperial Counties, or in some cases regionally within these areas. If you do find or see something of interest, whether it be a geographical or seasonal rarity, evidence of local range expansion, or a novel breeding record, I'd recommend sharing that information with the CBRC, North American Birds subregional editors, or regional listservs as appropriate. Information for contacting these entities is available below.

Please submit your documentation of all California Bird Records Committee review species (denoted by asterisks) to CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at <secretary...> or via the CBRC website: https://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html

CBRC review species and birds of local or seasonal rarity should be reported to the North American Birds (https://www.aba.org/north-american-birds/) county coordinators. They are:

IMPERIAL COUNTY: Guy McCaskie, <guymcc...>
INYO COUNTY: Chris and Rosie Howard, <chris93514...>
KERN COUNTY: Kelli Heindel-Levinson, <kkheindel...>
RIVERSIDE COUNTY: David Rankin, <david.rankin...>
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY: Alexander E. Koonce, <sandy_koonce...>

************

Other dying birding listservs that occasionally include reports of birds in southern California are:

Inyo County: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/easternsierrabirds
Kern County: https://groups.io/g/kerncobirding
Los Angeles County: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds
Orange County: https://groups.io/g/orangecountybirding
San Diego County: https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding
San Luis Obispo County: https://groups.io/g/slocobirding
Santa Barbara County: https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main
Ventura County: https://groups.io/g/venturacobirding
California (statewide): https://groups.io/g/CALBIRDS

************

A schedule of San Bernardino Valley Audubon Society field trips is available on the SBVAS website at https://www.sbvas.net/field-trips

************

Bird status and distribution references that every southeastern California birder should own:

Birds of southern California: status and distribution (1981), by Kimball L. Garrett and Jon L. Dunn
Birds of the Salton Sea: status, biogeography, and ecology (2003), by Michael A. Patten, Guy McCaskie, and Philip Unitt (update: https://www.sbvas.net/_files/ugd/09ca00_bdaf8a44285e4c1dbd625cd601280b5b.pdf)
Birds of the Lower Colorado River Valley (1991), by Kenneth V. Rosenberg, Robert D. Ohmart, William C. Hunter, and Bertin W. Anderson

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 8:09 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea - south 15 May 2024
I spent Wednesday 15 May 2024 (5:45 AM to 5:00 PM) with Chris Dean at a few
select locations in the Imperial Valley and along part of the south shore of
the Salton Sea. We started the day at the IID Wetlands near Niland, then
moved north into Niland. In Niland we birded north along International
Avenue, west to the west end of 4th Street and south along Luna Street. We
then drove northwestward to the Wister Unit HQ. At the Wister Unit we looked
at the area around the headquarters and at the new fishing pond. From the
Wister Unit HQ we drove southwestward to the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge HQ, stopping to look at Morton Bay and the north end of Garst Road on
the way. At the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ we looked around the
Visitor Center and at the ponds adjacent to Rock Hill. We then drove
southwestward along the seawall to the west end of Young Road, spending time
at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads and near the west end of Young
Road. From the west end of Young Road we drove southwestward to Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge. After spending time at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge, we headed southeastward through
Westmorland into Brawley. In Brawley we only looked at Riverview Cemetery.
We then drove south along Dogwood Road to near the southeast corner of El
Centro, stopping at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road on the way on
the way. After spending time near the southeast corner of El Centro, I drove
west to San Diego, stopping at Rio Bend Golfcourse and Fig Lagoon before
leaving the Imperial Valley.

Mostly clear with little to no wind, and with temperatures ranging from 65
to 100 degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (18 - eighteen together at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Blue-winged Teal (1 - one male at
Rock Hill), Cinnamon Teal (2), Northern Shoveler (4), Gadwall (2), Mallard
(30), Redhead (2 - two together at the Wister Unit Fishing Pond), Lesser
Scaup (1 - one at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Ruddy Duck
(60), Gambell's Quail (10), Pied-billed Grebe (6), Eared Grebe (200),
Western Grebe (8), Clark's Grebe (15 - including an adult with two young on
the Wister Unit Fishing Pond and two at nests on Morton Bay), Rock Pigeon
(10), Eurasian Collared-Dove (100), Inca Dove (15), Common Ground-Dove (5),
White-winged Dove (20), Mourning Dove (25), Greater Roadrunner (2), Lesser
Nighthawk (2 - one along 4th street in Niland and one at the Wister Unit
HQ), Black-chinned Hummingbird (3), Anna's Hummingbird (5), Costa's
Hummingbird (3), Ridgeway's Rail (1), Common Gallinule (5), American Coot
(175), Black-necked Stilt (225), American Avocet (150), Black-bellied Plover
(1), Killdeer (20), Snowy Plover (15), Whimbrel (2), Black Turnstone (2 -
two together at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads were believed to
be the same two present here on 10 May), Red Knot (30 - about thirty, most
in alternate-plumage, between the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads and
near the west end of Young Road), Stilt Sandpiper (4 - four adults in
alternate-plumage near the west end of Young Road), Sanderling (4 - four on
the shore of the Salton Sea adjacent to the seawall), Least Sandpiper (2 -
one along the shore of the Salton Sea between the north end of Lack Road and
the west end of Young Road, and one at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National
Wildlife Refuge), Western Sandpiper (50), Long-billed Dowitcher (5), Spotted
Sandpiper (10), Willet (12), Wilson's Phalarope (40), Red-necked Phalarope
(1), Bonaparte's Gull (10 - two in first-summer plumage at the Hazard Unit
and eight in first-summer plumage at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel
Road), Laughing Gull (1 - one in sub-adult at Rock Hill), Ring-billed Gull
(15), California Gull (200 - two-hundred at the flooded area adjacent to
Neckel Road), Least Tern (1 - one in flight at the Wister Unit Fishing
Pond), Gull-billed Tern (15 - about fifteen on the spoil islands off the
west end of Young Road), Caspian Tern (10), Black Tern (15), Forster's Tern
(30), Black Skimmer (10 - about ten on the spoil islands off the west end of
Young Road), Common Loon (1 - one adult in alternate-plumage on Fig Lagoon),
Double-crested Cormorant (15), Neotropic Cormorant (15), American White
Pelican (60), Least Bittern (1), Great Blue Heron (10), Great Egret (25),
Snowy Egret (15), Cattle Egret (150), Green Heron (2), Black-crowned
Night-Heron (3), White-faced Ibis (50), Turkey Vulture (5), Cooper's Hawk (1
- one at Riverview Cemetery in Brawley), Red-tailed Hawk (2), Great Horned
Owl (2 - one adult at the IID Wetlands near Niland and one adult at the
Wister Unit HQ), Burrowing Owl (10), Belted Kingfisher (1 - one along Garst
Road adjacent to the Hazard Unit establishes the latest date for a spring
migrant at the Salton Sink), Gila Woodpecker (5), Ladder-backed Woodpecker
(2), American Kestrel (10), Western Kingbird (25), Western Wood-Pewee (3),
Willow Flycatcher (1 - one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ was
the first that I have encountered this year), Western Flycatcher (2), Black
Phoebe (10), Say's Phoebe (1 - one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife HQ),
Vermilion Flycatcher (5), Cassin's Vireo (1 - one near the southeast corner
of El Centro), Warbling Vireo (15), Common Raven (2), Verdin (15), Northern
Rough-winged Swallow (10), Barn Swallow (1 - one late-staying individuals at
the Wister Unit HQ), Cliff Swallow (150), Cedar Waxwing (1 - one at the west
end of 4th Street in Niland), Phainopepla (3 - three at the west end of 4th
street in Niland), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (2), Marsh Wren (25), Northern
Mockingbird (10), European Starling (75), Swainson's Thrush (3), House
Sparrow (20), House Finch (20), Pine Siskin (1 - one near the southeast
corner of El Centro was believed to be an exceptionally late spring
migrant), Song Sparrow (20), Abert's Towhee (10), Yellow-headed Blackbird
(10), Western Meadowlark (15), Bullock's Oriole (3), Red-winged Blackbird
(100), Bronzed Cowbird (2 - an adult male and a females near the south end
of International Avenue in Niland), Brown-headed Cowbird (25), Brewer's
Blackbird (5), Great-tailed Grackle (50), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), Common
Yellowthroat (15), Yellow Warbler (10), Townsend's Warbler (4), Wilson's
Warbler (10), Western Tanager (20), Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1 - one female
at the west end of 4th street in Niland). Black-headed Grosbeak (6) and
Lazuli Bunting (2) - 120 species.

The female Rose-breasted Grosbeak was similar to nearby female Black-headed
Grosbeaks, but lacked buffy coloration on the under-parts, had prominent
dark streaking on the breast and along the flanks, a prominent white
supercilium and an entirely pale bill.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 5:57 am
From: Brad Singer via groups.io <bcsinger...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] San Bernardino Valley Audubon Potluck tonight
The SBVAS Potluck is having a potluck at the county museum this evening at
6:30 pm. Everyone is invited. More info at *SBVAS.net*
Brad Singer
President, SBVAS

Back to top
Date: 5/12/24 6:49 pm
From: James Pike via groups.io <jimpike444...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] east mojave 10-12 may
The most interesting bird at the Baker ponds on Saturday was a
Gambel's/California Quail that I flushed several times on the trail between
the ponds but at which I never got a very good look. Presumably a Gambel's,
but it is still a long way from home. The calls I heard from it were
familiar ones, but I don't know at this point if they are unique to
Gambel's. Later that day, we visited the massive burn area along Ivanpah
Road and within Keystone Canyon on the east side of the New York Mtns. The
ugliness was about as expected, with the core of Keystone thankfully being
spared, but per a first-hand report, Caruther's Canyon has destroyed by
both fire and water. The only minor positive in all of this is that the
current wildflower display within the burn zone is outstanding, with
two-foot tall Desert Mallows, Mojave Sand-verbena, Dune Primroses, Giant
Four O'clock and many other showy species as far as one can see. An upslope
crop of taller-than-normal chias in Keystone attracted a tight flock of
50-60 Pine Siskins in the late afternoon. I also heard a probable male
Broad-tailed Hummingbird and photographed a male Calliope that day. Lastly,
Northern Mockingbirds are now singing in areas I've never seen them before
in the east Mojave, evidently being just fine with the newly opened space.
This morning I stopped at the Kelso Depot, noting the absence of the former
cottonwoods in front of the depot and how sickly many of the flowering
desert willows appeared. However, there were warblers across the road from
the parking lot, including a Northern Waterthrush foraging within the duff
beneath the salt cedars.

Jim Pike
HB

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 11:18 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 10 May 2024
I spent the Friday 10 May 2024 (5:45 AM to 5:30 PM) with Bill Tweit and
Chris Dean at a few select locations in the Imperial Valley and along part
of the south shore of the Salton Sea. We started the day at the IID Wetlands
near Niland, then moved north into Niland. In Niland we birded north along
International Avenue and west to the west end of 4th Street. We then drove
northwestward to the Wister Unit HQ. At the Wister Unit we looked at the
area around the headquarters and at the new fishing pond. From the Wister
Unit HQ we drove southwestward to the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge
HQ, stopping to look at the Oasis Hunting Club on Pound Road, Morton Bay and
the north end of Garst Road on the way. At the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge HQ we looked around the Visitor Center and at the ponds adjacent to
Rock Hill. We then drove southwestward along the seawall to the west end of
Young Road, spending time at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads. From
the west end of Young Road we drove southwestward to Unit 1 of the Salton
Sea National Wildlife Refuge. After spending time at Unit 1 of the Salton
Sea National Wildlife Refuge, we headed southeastward through Westmorland
into Brawley. In Brawley we only looked at Riverview Cemetery. We then drove
south along Dogwood Road to near the southeast corner of El Centro, stopping
at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road on the way on the way. After
spending time near the southeast corner of El Centro, Bill Tweit and I drove
west to San Diego, stopping at Rio Bend Golfcourse and Fig Lagoon before
leaving the Imperial Valley.

Clear with little to no wind, and with temperatures ranging from 65 to 95
degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (18 - eighteen together at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Blue-winged Teal (1 - one female
at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads), Cinnamon Teal (2), Northern
Shoveler (4), Gadwall (3), Mallard (25), Northern Pintail (3), Redhead (2 -
two together on Morton Bay), Lesser Scaup (3 - one on Morton Bay and two
together at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Ruddy Duck (80),
Gambell's Quail (10), Pied-billed Grebe (6), Eared Grebe (250), Western
Grebe (3), Clark's Grebe (15 - including an adult with two young on the new
fishing pond at the Wister Unit), Rock Pigeon (5), Eurasian Collared-Dove
(150), Inca Dove (20), Common Ground-Dove (15), White-winged Dove (25),
Mourning Dove (60), Greater Roadrunner (5), Lesser Nighthawk (1 - one at
Oasis Hunting Club on Pound Road), Black-chinned Hummingbird (6), Anna's
Hummingbird (10), Costa's Hummingbird (3), Ridgeway's Rail (2), Common
Gallinule (10), American Coot (200), Black-necked Stilt (225), American
Avocet (225), Black-bellied Plover (1), Killdeer (20), Semipalmated Plover
(1), Snowy Plover (15), Whimbrel (15), Marbled Godwit (9), Ruddy Turnstone
(8 - eight in alternate-plumage at the intersection of Lack and Grubel
Roads), Black Turnstone (2 - two together with Ruddy Turnstones at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads included the one present here on 8
May), Red Knot (25 - twenty-five, most in alternate-plumage, near at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads and near the west end of Young Road),
Dunlin (2 - two together at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge), Least Sandpiper (2 - two together at Rock Hill), Western Sandpiper
(165), Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 - one adult in alternate-plumage with
Western Sandpipers at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge),
Long-billed Dowitcher (350), Spotted Sandpiper (15 - including nine together
at Fig Lagoon), Willet (4), Wilson's Phalarope (60), Red-necked Phalarope
(65), Bonaparte's Gull (3 - one in first-summer plumage at the IID Wetlands
near Niland and two together in first-summer plumage at the IID Wetlands
near Niland), Laughing Gull (1 - one in sub-adult at the IID Wetlands near
Niland), Ring-billed Gull (15), California Gull (200 - two-hundred at the
flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Gull-billed Tern (25 - most on the
spoil islands off the west end of Young Road), Caspian Tern (10), Black Tern
(100), Forster's Tern (75), Black Skimmer (20 - most on the spoil islands
off the west end of Young Road), Double-crested Cormorant (15), Neotropic
Cormorant (25), American White Pelican (60), Least Bittern (1), American
Bittern (1 - one at the Wister Unit HQ), Great Blue Heron (15), Great Egret
(20), Snowy Egret (10), Cattle Egret (150), Green Heron (10), Black-crowned
Night-Heron (1), White-faced Ibis (250), Turkey Vulture (10), Northern
Harrier (1), Barn Owl (1 - one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge
HQ), Great Horned Owl (1 - one adult at the Wister Unit HQ), Burrowing Owl
(20), Gila Woodpecker (5), Ladder-backed Woodpecker (5), American Kestrel
(10), Peregrine Falcon (1), Western Kingbird (20), Western Wood-Pewee (1),
Western Flycatcher (1), Black Phoebe (10), Say's Phoebe (3 - three,
including a hatch-year bird, at the Salton Sea National Wildlife HQ),
Vermilion Flycatcher (5), Warbling Vireo (2), Loggerhead Shrike (1), Common
Raven (8), Verdin (30), Horned Lark (1), Bank Swallow (6 - the first that I
have encountered this spring), Northern Rough-winged Swallow (10), Barn
Swallow (2 - two late-staying individuals at the Wister Unit HQ), Cliff
Swallow (150), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (4), Marsh Wren (30), Northern
Mockingbird (15), European Starling (50), Swainson's Thrush (2), House
Sparrow (25), House Finch (50), Pine Siskin (2 - two together at the west
end of 4th street in Niland), Lesser Goldfinch (5 - five, including a
fledged young begging for food, at the IID Wetlands near Niland), Song
Sparrow (25), Abert's Towhee (20), Yellow-headed Blackbird (100), Western
Meadowlark (15), Hooded Oriole (1 - one adult male at the west end of 4th
Street in Niland), Bullock's Oriole (5), Red-winged Blackbird (100), Bronzed
Cowbird (5 - two males near the south end of International Avenue in Niland,
an adult male and a female together at the west end of 4th street in Niland
and an adult male at the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ),
Brown-headed Cowbird (15), Brewer's Blackbird (5), Great-tailed Grackle
(50), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), MacGillivray's Warbler (1), Common
Yellowthroat (15), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1 - a late straggler at the west
end of 4th street in Niland), Yellow Warbler (2), Wilson's Warbler (5),
Western Tanager (40), Black-headed Grosbeak (8), Blue Grosbeak (2) and
Lazuli Bunting (3) - 125 species.

The single Semipalmated Sandpiper at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National
Wildlife Refuge was first seen by Bill Tweit. This bird was similar to the
accompanying Western Sandpipers, but slightly smaller with a shorter
straight blunt-tipped bill, and lacking any of the rufous on the head and
mantle present on the Western Sandpipers. In addition, I noted the lack of
dark markings on the flanks that are present on the alternate-plumage
Western Sandpipers, and that the dark ear-coverts lacked rufous.
Semipalmated Sandpipers are probably very rare spring transients to the
Salton Sink, but not reported every year.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 12:57 pm
From: Matt Grube via groups.io <mattgrube...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Hybrid returns to Big Morongo
The Blue Grosbeak x (Indigo or Lazuli Bunting) hybrid has returned to Big Morongo Canyon Preserve for at least its eighth season!  In the past it has moved around quite a bit, but so far this year the reports have come from the Marsh trail, with at least one report coming from GPS 34.05094, -116.56892.

Since this bird is back, please be extra careful about reporting any possible Indigo Buntings, or also Blue Grosbeaks.  So far there have been at least 6 reports of Indigo Bunting, and they all appear to be this bird.  As there has been no consensus on the exact parentage, the best option when entering into eBird is "Passerina sp" (not passerine).

Photos and audio recordings from this year and prior years are available on eBird at Passerina sp. - Passerina sp. - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird ( https://media.ebird.org/catalog?regionCode=L420195&taxonCode=buntin )

Would be great of someone obtained DNA of this bird!

Matt Grube
Redlands, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 7:21 am
From: Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 9, 2024
RBA

* California
* Southeastern
* May 9, 2024
* CASE24.05.09

This is the Southeastern CA weekly RBA summary. We cover Imperial, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. California Bird Records Committee review species are denoted by asterisks. To report a bird POST TO INLANDCOUNTYBIRDS (https://groups.io/g/inlandcountybirds). If there is some reason that you cannot post there, please e-mail or call/text Tom Benson at <tbenson...> or (909) 648-0899.

Birds mentioned:

Long-tailed Duck
Ruddy Ground Dove
Black Turnstone
Brown Pelican
Gray Catbird

SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY

Up to two BROWN PELICANS continued at Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park through May 5 (Becca Cockrum).

A BROWN PELICAN was seen at Prado Regional Park May 5-6 (Gene Cardiff).

A GRAY CATBIRD was seen at Mojave Narrows Regional Park on May 8 (Bill Deppe).

RIVERSIDE COUNTY

A RUDDY GROUND DOVE was seen at Palo Verde Ecological Reserve on May 5 (Jason St. Pierre).

IMPERIAL COUNTY

A LONG-TAILED DUCK was seen at Rock Hill on May 8 (Guy McCaskie).

A BLACK TURNSTONE was seen at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads on May 8 (Guy McCaskie).

Date: 5/9/24 5:54 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 8 May 2024
I spent much of Wednesday 8 May 2024 (5:45 AM to 3:45 PM) at a few select
locations in the Imperial Valley and along part of the south shore of the
Salton Sea. I started the day at Fig Lagoon and the Rio Bend Golfcourse. I
then drove north to the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ, stopping to
look at Sheldon Reservoir on the way. At the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge HQ I briefly looked around the Visitor Center and more carefully at
the ponds adjacent to Rock Hill. I then drove southwestward along the
seawall to the west end of Young Road. From the west end of Young Road I
drove southwestward to Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge.
After looking at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge, I headed
southeastward through Westmorland into Brawley. In Brawley I looked briefly
at Riverview Cemetery and Cattle Call Park. I then drove south to near the
southeast corner of El Centro, stopping at the flooded area adjacent to
Neckel Road on the way. After spending time near the southeast corner of El
Centro, I drove west to San Diego, stopping at Rio Bend Golfcourse, Sunbeam
Lake and Fig Lagoon before leaving the Imperial Valley.

Clear with little to no wind, and with temperatures ranging from 55 to 90
degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (18 - eighteen together at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Cinnamon Teal (4), Northern
Shoveler (10), Gadwall (4), Mallard (35), Lesser Scaup (1 - one long-staying
individual at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Long-tailed Duck (1
- one female in worn-plumage at Rock Hill was on one of the islands actively
preening), Ruddy Duck (25), Gambell's Quail (5), Pied-billed Grebe (5),
Eared Grebe (150), Western Grebe (2), Clark's Grebe (1), Rock Pigeon (25),
Eurasian Collared-Dove (150), Inca Dove (15), Common Ground-Dove (10),
White-winged Dove (30), Mourning Dove (25), Greater Roadrunner (5), Lesser
Nighthawk (1 - one in flight at the Rio Bend Golf Course), Vaux's Swift (1 -
one in flight over Fig Lagoon is the first that I have encountered locally
this year), Black-chinned Hummingbird (4), Anna's Hummingbird (8), Costa's
Hummingbird (3), Rufous Hummingbird (2 - a male and a female visiting
feeders near the southeast corner of El Centro), Ridgeway's Rail (1), Common
Gallinule (10), American Coot (35), Black-necked Stilt (100), American
Avocet (150), Black-bellied Plover (2), Killdeer (12), Snowy Plover (10),
Ruddy Turnstone (10 - ten in alternate-plumage together at the intersection
of Lack and Grubel Roads), Black Turnstone (1 - one in partial
alternate-plumage with Ruddy Turnstones at the intersection of Lack and
Grubel Roads), Red Knot (45 - twenty-five at the intersection of Lack and
Grubel Roads and twenty near the west end of Young Road), Stilt Sandpiper
((90 - fifteen together at Rock Hill, twenty together near the west end of
Young Road and sixty-five with Long-billed Dowitchers at Unit 1 of the
Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Least Sandpiper (1 - one late-staying
individual with Western Sandpipers at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National
Wildlife Refuge), Western Sandpiper (200), Long-billed Dowitcher (250),
Spotted Sandpiper (5), Willet (2), Greater Yellowlegs (1), Wilson's
Phalarope (150), Red-necked Phalarope (15), Bonaparte's Gull (1 - adult in
alternate-plumage at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge),
Ring-billed Gull (5), California Gull (200 - about two-hundred at the
flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Gull-billed Tern (30), Caspian Tern
(2), Black Tern (2), Forster's Tern (25), Black Skimmer (20), Double-crested
Cormorant (15), Neotropic Cormorant (25), American White Pelican (35), Least
Bittern (1), Great Blue Heron (10), Great Egret (15), Snowy Egret (10),
Cattle Egret (150), Green Heron (4), Black-crowned Night-Heron (1),
White-faced Ibis (75), Turkey Vulture (3), Cooper's Hawk (1 - one immature
near the southeast corner of El Centro), Red-tailed Hawk (1), Burrowing Owl
(20), Gila Woodpecker (4), Ladder-backed Woodpecker (1), American Kestrel
(10), Western Kingbird (20), Western Wood-Pewee (1), Western Flycatcher (1 -
one near southeast corner of El Centro), Black Phoebe (10), Say's Phoebe (1
- one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife HQ), Vermilion Flycatcher (4),
Warbling Vireo (10), Common Raven (6), Verdin (10), Northern Rough-winged
Swallow (2), Barn Swallow (10), Cliff Swallow (150), Black-tailed
Gnatcatcher (1), Marsh Wren (6), Northern Mockingbird (6), Swainson's Thrush
(5), European Starling (150), House Sparrow (25), House Finch (20), Song
Sparrow (5), Abert's Towhee (10), Yellow-headed Blackbird (2), Western
Meadowlark (15), Bullock's Oriole (2), Red-winged Blackbird (150),
Brown-headed Cowbird (2), Brewer's Blackbird (15), Great-tailed Grackle
(150), Nashville Warbler (1), MacGillivray's Warbler (1), Common
Yellowthroat (5), Yellow Warbler (3), Wilson's Warbler (6), Western Tanager
(15), Black-headed Grosbeak (1) and Lazuli Bunting (1) - 108 species.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 10:00 am
From: Bill Deppe via groups.io <bdeppe...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Mojave Narrows Regional Park
It's been an eventful week at the park.  Good numbers of migrants have passed through.  Western Tanagers stand out as they are everywhere.  Good numbers of warblers and vireos have been present with empids being a little disappointing.  Today, there was  a GRAY CATBIRD in the revegetation area of the park in the direction of the Yucca Loma Bridge.  It popped up on a bush and started singing--a very cooperative bird for a Catbird.

Bill Deppe
Apple Valley

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 7:06 am
From: <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Zzyzzx birding access?
Hi, I’m driving to Las Vegas Sunday (They wanted me to fly and I offered to
drive) to work there for a week and I want to stop at the obvious places
like the Baker sewage ponds, Zzyzx, and that little patch of green grass
right at the Nevada border.
What is the current status of Bird watchers being allowed access to walk
around at Zzyzzx?
Fun fact: The offramp to Zzyzzx is the scene of an investigation in a
Michael Connelly novel.
If anybody anybody has any good suggestions for where I can look for
scorpions and Gila monsters while in Las Vegas, I would super appreciate
(and to state the obvious I want to look at them, not collect them).

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont CA 91711
909.241.3300

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 8:35 am
From: Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: May 2, 2024
RBA

* California
* Southeastern
* May 2, 2024
* CASE24.05.02

This is the Southeastern CA weekly RBA summary. We cover Imperial, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. California Bird Records Committee review species are denoted by asterisks. To report a bird POST TO INLANDCOUNTYBIRDS (https://groups.io/g/inlandcountybirds). If there is some reason that you cannot post there, please e-mail or call/text Tom Benson at <tbenson...> or (909) 648-0899.

Birds mentioned:

*MEXICAN DUCK*
Iceland Gull
Reddish Egret
Brown Pelican
Lark Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY

A probable *MEXICAN DUCK* was seen at Fort Irwin on Apr 30, a REDDISH EGRET was photographed there on May 1, and a LARK BUNTING was seen there Apr 29 (Matt Gould). There is no public access to Fort Irwin.

A BROWN PELICAN was seen at Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park on May 1 (Debbie House).

RIVERSIDE COUNTY

An ICELAND GULL was seen at Lake Perris on May 1 (Chet McGaugh).

IMPERIAL COUNTY

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was seen at Picacho SRA on Apr 30 (Todd Easterla).

Date: 5/2/24 7:59 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 1 May 2024
I spent Wednesday 1 May 2024 (5:45 AM to 5:15 PM) with Chris Dean at a few
[...]
National Wildlife Refuge. After looking at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National
Wildlife Refuge, we headed southeastward through Westmorland into Brawley.
In Brawley we looked at Riverview Cemetery and Cattle Call Park. We then
drove south to near the southeast corner of El Centro, stopping at the
flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road on the way on the way. After spending
time near the southeast corner of El Centro, I drove west to San Diego,
stopping at Rio Bend Golfcourse, Sunbeam Lake and Fig Lagoon before leaving
the Imperial Valley.

Clear with little to no wind, and with temperatures ranging from 60 to 90
degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (18 - eighteen together at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Cinnamon Teal (5), Northern
Shoveler (5), Gadwall (4), American Wigeon (2), Mallard (35), Lesser Scaup
(2 - two together at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads), Ruddy Duck
(65), Gambell's Quail (10), Pied-billed Grebe (5), Eared Grebe (150),
Western Grebe (2), Clark's Grebe (10 - including an adult with two young on
the new fishing pond at the Wister Unit), Rock Pigeon (25), Eurasian
Collared-Dove (150), Inca Dove (15), Common Ground-Dove (10), White-winged
Dove (20), Mourning Dove (30), Greater Roadrunner (1), Lesser Nighthawk (2 -
two at the Wister Unit HQ), Black-chinned Hummingbird (5), Anna's
Hummingbird (10), Costa's Hummingbird (2), Calliope Hummingbird (1 - one
female visiting feeders near the southeast corner of El Centro), Rufous
Hummingbird (1 - one male visiting feeders near the southeast corner of El
Centro), Ridgeway's Rail (1), Common Gallinule (3), American Coot (250),
Black-necked Stilt (150), American Avocet (75), Black-bellied Plover (25 -
about twenty-five along the shore of the Salton Sea near the west end of
Young Road), Killdeer (15), Semipalmated Plover (2), Snowy Plover (20),
Whimbrel (75), Ruddy Turnstone (3 - three in alternate-plumage near the west
end of Young Road), Red Knot (40 - forty, most in alternate-plumage, near
the west end of Young Road), Dunlin (1), Least Sandpiper (5), Western
Sandpiper (75), Long-billed Dowitcher (100), Spotted Sandpiper (10 -
including five together at Fig Lagoon), Willet (2), Wilson's Phalarope
(100), Red-necked Phalarope (10), Bonaparte's Gull (5 - five in first-summer
plumage on Fig Lagoon), Ring-billed Gull (20), California Gull (175 - most
at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Gull-billed Tern (15), Caspian
Tern (5), Black Tern (20), Forster's Tern (5), Black Skimmer (15),
Double-crested Cormorant (20), Neotropic Cormorant (15), American White
Pelican (20), Brown Pelican (2), Least Bittern (2), Great Blue Heron (15),
Great Egret (25), Snowy Egret (30), Reddish Egret (1 - one sub-adult at the
intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads appeared to be the same bird first
seen here on 14 July by Curtis A. Marantz), Cattle Egret (250), Green Heron
(5), Black-crowned Night-Heron (3), White-faced Ibis (250), Turkey Vulture
(1), Barn Owl (1), Great Horned Owl (3 - one adult and two young at the
Wister Unit HQ), Burrowing Owl (15), Gila Woodpecker (5), Ladder-backed
Woodpecker (6), American Kestrel (10), Ash-throated Flycatcher (1), Western
Kingbird (15), Western Wood-Pewee (2), Hammond's Flycatcher (1 - one seen
near southeast corner of El Centro by CD), Western Flycatcher (2 - two seen
near southeast corner of El Centro by CD), Black Phoebe (10), Say's Phoebe
(1 - one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife HQ), Vermilion Flycatcher (6),
Warbling Vireo (20), Loggerhead Shrike (2), Common Raven (2), Verdin (15),
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (6), Barn Swallow (1), Cliff Swallow (150),
Phainopepla (1 - one male at the west end of 4th Street in Niland),
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1 - one calling at Cattle Call Park in Brawley),
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (1), Marsh Wren (10), Northern Mockingbird (10),
Swainson's Thrush (1 - one near the southeast corner of El Centro is the
first that I have encountered this spring), European Starling (350), House
Sparrow (25), House Finch (30), Lesser Goldfinch (1 - one at the IID
Wetlands near Niland), Song Sparrow (10), Abert's Towhee (10), Yellow-headed
Blackbird (5), Western Meadowlark (15), Hooded Oriole (1 - one young male
near the south end of International Avenue in Niland), Bullock's Oriole (2),
Red-winged Blackbird (150), Bronzed Cowbird (1 - an adult male near the
south end of International Avenue in Niland), Brown-headed Cowbird (15),
Brewer's Blackbird (10), Great-tailed Grackle (150), Orange-crowned Warbler
(2), Nashville Warbler (1), MacGillivray's Warbler (3), Common Yellowthroat
(6), Yellow Warbler (2), Black-throated Gray Warbler (1), Townsend's Warbler
(1), Wilson's Warbler (10), Western Tanager (25), Black-headed Grosbeak (2)
and Lazuli Bunting (2) - 121 species.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 4/25/24 12:43 pm
From: Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Southeastern CA RBA: April 25, 2024
RBA

* California
* Southeastern
* April 25, 2024
* CASE24.04.25

This is the Southeastern CA weekly RBA summary. We cover Imperial, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. California Bird Records Committee review species are denoted by asterisks. To report a bird POST TO INLANDCOUNTYBIRDS (https://groups.io/g/inlandcountybirds). If there is some reason that you cannot post there, please e-mail or call/text Tom Benson at <tbenson...> or (909) 648-0899.

Birds mentioned:

Red-necked Grebe
Short-billed Gull

SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY

A RED-NECKED GREBE was seen at Big Bear Dam Apr 18-24 (Byron Underwood).

RIVERSIDE COUNTY

A SHORT-BILLED GULL was seen at the Salton Sea SRA on Apr 20 (David Rankin).

IMPERIAL COUNTY

No reports.

Date: 4/25/24 7:44 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) 24 April 2024
I spent the Wednesday 24 April 2024 (6:00 AM to 5:30 PM) at a few select
locations in the Imperial Valley and along part of the south shore of the
Salton Sea. I started the day at Fig Lagoon and the Rio Bend Golfcourse. I
then drove north into Brawley, stopping at Sheldon Reservoir and the
intersection of Carter and Fites Roads on the way. In Brawley I looked at
the hummingbird feeders on Willard Avenue, Cattle Call Park and in Riverview
Cemetery. From Brawley I then continued north through Calipatria to Niland,
stopping to look at Young Reservoir and the Calipatria State Prison on the
way. In Niland I birded north along International Avenue, west along 4th
Street and south along Luna Street. I then drove northwestward to the Wister
Unit. At the Wister Unit I only looked at the area around the headquarters.
From the Wister Unit I drove southwestward to the Salton Sea National
Wildlife Refuge HQ, stopping to look at Morton Bay and the north end on
Garst Road on the way. At the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge I looked
at the ponds adjacent to Rock Hill and briefly around the entrance. I then
drove southwestward to Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge,
looking along the "seawall" on the way. After spending time at Unit 1 of the
Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge, I drove southeastward through
Westmorland and Brawley to near the southeast corner of El Centro, stopping
at the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road on the way on the way. After
spending time near the southeast corner of El Centro, I drove west to San
Diego, stopping at Rio Bend Golfcourse and Fig Lagoon before leaving the
Imperial Valley.

Clear with little to no wind until late afternoon when there was a strong
wind from the west, and with temperatures ranging from 60 to 90 degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (18 - eighteen together at Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Blue-winged Teal (10 - two at the
Calipatria State Prison, four at the north end of Lack Road and four near
the west end of Young Road), Cinnamon Teal (20), Northern Shoveler (10),
Gadwall (4), American Wigeon (3), Mallard (20), Redhead (11 - seven at the
Calipatria State Prison and four at Morton Bay), Lesser Scaup (1 - one at
the flooded area adjacent to Neckel Road), Ruddy Duck (40), Gambell's Quail
(10), Pied-billed Grebe (5), Eared Grebe (350), Western Grebe (15), Clark's
Grebe (2), Rock Pigeon (75), Eurasian Collared-Dove (150), Inca Dove (10),
Common Ground-Dove (15), White-winged Dove (25), Mourning Dove (40), Greater
Roadrunner (1), Lesser Nighthawk (1 - one at the Wister Unit HQ),
Black-chinned Hummingbird (3), Anna's Hummingbird (12), Costa's Hummingbird
(3), Ridgeway's Rail (1), Common Gallinule (3), American Coot (75),
Black-necked Stilt (150), American Avocet (250), Black-bellied Plover (50 -
about fifty along the shore of the Salton Sea near the west end of Young
Road), Killdeer (15), Semipalmated Plover (20), Snowy Plover (10), Whimbrel
(20), Ruddy Turnstone (3 - three in alternate-plumage at the intersection of
Lack and Grubel Roads), Red Knot (75 - at least seventy-five along the shore
at the intersection of Lack and Grubel Roads), Stilt Sandpiper (25 -
twenty-five with Long-billed Dowitchers at the Hazard Unit of The Salton Sea
National Wildlife Refuge), Dunlin (1), Least Sandpiper (15), Western
Sandpiper (1500), Long-billed Dowitcher (150), Spotted Sandpiper (3), Willet
(5), Greater Yellowlegs (5), Wilson's Phalarope (75), Red-necked Phalarope
(50), Bonaparte's Gull (19 - a flock of nineteen on Fig Lagoon at dawn),
Ring-billed Gull (20), California Gull (50), Gull-billed Tern (45), Caspian
Tern (6), Black Tern (40 - the first that I have encountered this year),
Forster's Tern (10), Black Skimmer (15), Common Loon (3 - two adults in
alternate-plumage and one in basic-plumage on Fig Lagoon departed at
sunrise), Double-crested Cormorant (20), Neotropic Cormorant (6), American
White Pelican (15), Least Bittern (1), Great Blue Heron (15), Great Egret
(25), Snowy Egret (30), Reddish Egret (1 - one sub-adult near the west end
of Young Road appeared to be the same bird first seen here on 14 July by
Curtis A. Marantz), Cattle Egret (500), Green Heron (1), Black-crowned
Night-Heron (3), White-faced Ibis (350), Turkey Vulture (1), Red-tailed Hawk
(2), Great Horned Owl (1 - one adult at the Wister Unit HQ), Burrowing Owl
(10), Gila Woodpecker (5), Ladder-backed Woodpecker (1), American Kestrel
(10), Ash-throated Flycatcher (1), Western Kingbird (15), Black Phoebe (10),
Say's Phoebe (1 - one at the Salton Sea National Wildlife HQ), Vermilion
Flycatcher (5), Warbling Vireo (4), Common Raven (6), Verdin (10), Northern
Rough-winged Swallow (2), Barn Swallow (10 - including two with Cliff
Swallows at the intersection of Carter and Fites Roads where this swallow
has successfully nested in recent years), Cliff Swallow (250), Black-tailed
Gnatcatcher (1), Marsh Wren (10), Northern Mockingbird (10), European
Starling (350), House Sparrow (25), House Finch (30), White-crowned Sparrow
(1 - one adults with black-lores at the Wister Unit HQ), Song Sparrow (10),
Abert's Towhee (6), Yellow-headed Blackbird (15), Western Meadowlark (15),
Bullock's Oriole (10). Red-winged Blackbird (350), Bronzed Cowbird (2 - an
adult male and female together near the south end of International Avenue in
Niland), Brown-headed Cowbird (20), Brewer's Blackbird (30), Great-tailed
Grackle (150), Orange-crowned Warbler (2), Nashville Warbler (3),
MacGillivray's Warbler (1), Common Yellowthroat (6), Yellow Warbler (1),
Black-throated Gray Warbler (1), Wilson's Warbler (5) and Lazuli Bunting (1)
- 112 species.

Guy McCaskie

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 2:14 pm
From: James Pike via groups.io <jimpike444...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] solitary
A Solitary Sandpiper was in a flooded field at the Prado Dog Park in Chino
this morning.

Jim Pike
HB