NWCALBIRD
Received From Subject
5/8/24 11:26 am Bruce Deuel via groups.io <lewisia1980...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] 2023 Humboldt County Bird of the Year
5/8/24 11:14 am Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] 2023 Humboldt County Bird of the Year
5/8/24 10:26 am Tom Leskiw via groups.io <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] 2023 Humboldt County Bird of the Year
5/3/24 7:49 am Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Vaux's Swift
5/2/24 6:51 pm Michael H. Morris via groups.io <lilmorris2000...> [NWCALBIRD] Vaux's Swift

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 11:26 am
From: Bruce Deuel via groups.io <lewisia1980...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] 2023 Humboldt County Bird of the Year
I could read it after disabling my ad blocker.
Cheers,
Bruce Deuel
Red Bluff

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 11:14 AM Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> It's not allowing me to read it without a subscription.
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 10:26 AM Tom Leskiw via groups.io <tomleskiw=
> <gmail.com...> wrote:
>
>> Below is the link to the article I put together on the 2023 Humboldt
>> County Bird of the Year in today’s (5/8/24) Eureka Times-Standard. There is
>> no paywall that prevents non-subscribers from viewing on line.
>> Congratulations to the finders of all 5 bird nominees, and especially to
>> the finders of the year's winner, Purple Gallinule, Yana Valachovic, Nicole
>> and Tom King.
>>

>> And thanks are also due to the photographers and sketch book artists.
>> Your contributions added a lot to the piece. The title, The Glorious
>> Gallinule, was not mine, it was added by the newspaper. With a nod to Laura
>> Cutler’s wonderful photo of it, it is an apt title indeed.
>>

>> P.S. If you are unaware, a newspaper’s convention is to not capitalize
>> bird names.
>>

>> https://www.times-standard.com/2024/05/08/the-glorious-gallinule/
>>

>> best,
>>
>> Tom Leskiw
>>
>> Blue Lakeish, Humboldt County

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 11:14 am
From: Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...>

Date: 5/3/24 7:49 am
From: Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] Vaux's Swift
I don't know about "movement," but there was a concentration in Salyer, too.

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 6:51 pm
From: Michael H. Morris via groups.io <lilmorris2000...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Vaux's Swift
Did anybody else notice a movement of Vaux's Swift today? I was about a mile up from the Redwood Creek trailhead and had easily a hundred birds on the gravel bar. Okay, seemed likely though more than I'm used to there. Driving back had probably hundreds more in the air at the turn-off to the Park Headquarters at the North end of Freshwater Lagoon. Entering Eureka another bubble of many birds at Jacob's Ave.Michael H. Morris