northbaybirds
Received From Subject
5/15/24 2:50 pm Ryan DiGaudio via groups.io <rdigaudio...> [northbaybirds] Yellow-breasted Chat in Inverness Park
5/15/24 2:04 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> [northbaybirds] some belated observations (Mother's Day 5/12/24)
5/14/24 6:22 pm Lisa Hug via groups.io <lisahug...> [northbaybirds] 200 Bonaparte's Gulls
5/13/24 3:03 pm Meryl Sundove via groups.io <msundove...> [northbaybirds] woodpecker nectar robbing
5/11/24 4:58 pm Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (Photos; breeding plumage); 61 BONAPARTE'S GULL; & 1 PHOTO of newborn RED-SHOULDERED HAWK in nest
5/10/24 5:57 am jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] Hermit Warbler singing
5/9/24 4:43 pm richard s. cimino via groups.io <rscimino...> [northbaybirds] Gulls, Terns Phalaropes and Swans
5/7/24 12:23 pm Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> [northbaybirds] Dave DeSante's BBS Route - need to pass the baton
5/5/24 9:47 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [northbaybirds] Rush Creek Marsh Binford Road
5/4/24 9:56 pm William Legge via groups.io <WGDLegge...> Re: [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gulls
5/4/24 9:24 pm Lisa Hug via groups.io <lisahug...> [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gulls
5/4/24 10:45 am claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...> Re: [northbaybirds] Loma Alta Bird Song (Recordings Here), Via Returning Species (All Expected Here Annually): Lazuli Bunting, Grasshopper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Horned Lark
5/4/24 9:04 am Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Loma Alta Bird Song (Recordings Here), Via Returning Species (All Expected Here Annually): Lazuli Bunting, Grasshopper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Horned Lark
5/3/24 9:36 am jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] White Wagtail
5/2/24 6:30 pm Mark Dettling via groups.io <mark.dettling...> [northbaybirds] White Wagtail (Black-backed), Bolinas
5/1/24 5:29 pm bkeener52 via groups.io <bill.keener...> [northbaybirds] Black-crowned Night-heron hunting Cliff Swallows at Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds
5/1/24 2:39 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [northbaybirds] Private: Re: Sonoma County- Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa area 4/27 and 4/29/24
5/1/24 2:22 pm Frank Cox via groups.io <frnkcox6...> [northbaybirds] Great-tailed Grackle seen at Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds
4/30/24 5:12 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> [northbaybirds] Sonoma County- Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa area 4/27 and 4/29/24
4/29/24 1:17 pm jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] MacGillivray’s
4/27/24 8:51 am ceruleanswift via groups.io <ceruleanswift...> [northbaybirds] FOS Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler
4/26/24 9:06 pm Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Miscellaneous Last Few Days, Including Info. Related To Seasonal Sightings
4/26/24 8:02 pm Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] Male Black-headed Grosbeak Friday, April 26 - Sonoma off 5th St. West
4/26/24 3:29 pm Diane Hichwa via groups.io <dhichwa...> Re: [northbaybirds] FOS Occidental 4/26
4/26/24 11:43 am mike.heffernon via groups.io <mheff...> [northbaybirds] FOS Occidental 4/26
4/26/24 9:27 am Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> Re: [northbaybirds] Farallons Swallow-tailed Gull AND Blue Rock Thrush on same day!
4/26/24 9:06 am Jeff Perkins via groups.io <jeff.perkins...> [northbaybirds] Farallons Swallow-tailed Gull AND Blue Rock Thrush on same day!
4/22/24 5:35 pm Mike Carozza via groups.io <mike.carozza...> [northbaybirds] Black-chinned, Nashville, Pleasant Hill Rd Sebastopol
4/22/24 10:18 am Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...> Re: [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
4/22/24 10:13 am mike.heffernon via groups.io <mheff...> [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
4/21/24 10:10 am Pam Harris via groups.io <pamharris1...> [northbaybirds] White Tailed Kites nesting
4/21/24 7:06 am claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...> Re: [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
4/20/24 8:32 pm David Barry via groups.io <wildbarrydb...> [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
4/19/24 10:25 am Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Thrush @ Five Brooks, Point Reyes National Seashore

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 2:50 pm
From: Ryan DiGaudio via groups.io <rdigaudio...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Yellow-breasted Chat in Inverness Park
At around 9:00 this morning there was a Yellow-breasted Chat singing from
the willow and blackberry thicket across the street (SFD) from the
Inverness Park Market. It was clearly audible from the IP Market's front
porch. As is typical of Chats, the bird declined to show itself (despite a
few pishing attempts). But the song was unmistakably Chat. The area it was
singing from looks like good chat habitat- wishful thinking but it would be
cool if he decides to stick around and attract a mate.

Ryan DiGaudio
Inverness, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 2:04 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] some belated observations (Mother's Day 5/12/24)
Sunday morning at Rush Creek OSP/Binford Rd. pond , there were at least 190
Bonaparte's Gulls on the water visible from the Pinheiro Fire Road, counted
around 9:45. I walked back to Binford Rd. to attempt closer looks but
virtually all the gulls were gone by 10 a.m., possibly because an adult
Bald Eagle had just flown over the pond causing quite a flurry of activity
below.

Around 11 a.m. there was a singing Yellow Warbler at the Marin/Sonoma
County line. It was singing from a willow on the south bank (Marin County)
of San Antonio Creek east of the HWY 101 overpass. This spot is accessible
by taking Petaluma Blvd. South to where it dead ends. The Yellow Warbler
was singing almost constantly in the 45 minutes or so that I was at the
site as if trying to stake out a nesting territory. I'm not aware of any
recent (last decade) confirmations of Yellow Warbler in Marin County so
perhaps this is of interest to Breeding Bird Atlas surveyors.

In the mid-afternoon while on a family hike at Jack London State Park we
discovered an active Pacific-slope Flycatcher nest inside one of the
historic buildings.

Happy Spring,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 5/14/24 6:22 pm
From: Lisa Hug via groups.io <lisahug...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] 200 Bonaparte's Gulls
Hi All,

There 200 Bonaparte's Gulls this afternoon at the Valley Ford Wetlands
(at the bridge over Estero American on Franklin School Road on the
Marin/Sonoma border). This was a really special treat because they were
very close to the bridge and they were not only beautiful but very
vociferous and made amazing noises while they fed in the receding
wetlands.

Lisa Hug
Sebastopol

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 3:03 pm
From: Meryl Sundove via groups.io <msundove...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] woodpecker nectar robbing
Watched a Nuttall's Woodpecker land on stem of a Red-Hot Poker plant seeming
to be nectar robbing. (Picture does not show bird just plant.) It spent
several minutes working around the flower, pecking each tiny flowerlet,
before moving off. While it was there, our yard hummingbird was diving on
it, to no avail. That hummingbird often sits near these favorite nectar
flowers appearing to be guarding the excellent source on nectar. Has anyone
else ever observed a woodpecker nectar robbing?

To any birder who might be interested in reading a poem about BIRDCAST and
migrating birds at night, click on the link below, and scroll down to May 11
entry of a poem called "BIRDCAST" by David Chorlton.

https://newversenews.blogspot.com/

The poem is of interest as it makes use of the relatively new ability for us
birders to find out how many birds are migrating at night over their city.
Its title, BIRDCAST is a website that allows us to do so. This poem weaves
science into its poetry as well as a creative way of expressing poetic
thoughts about the amazing millions of birds using the night sky to move on
their migration on route.. Most of you probably already know about this
website. <https://birdcast.info/> https://birdcast.info

Happy birding every day,

Meryl Sundove

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 4:58 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (Photos; breeding plumage); 61 BONAPARTE'S GULL; & 1 PHOTO of newborn RED-SHOULDERED HAWK in nest
Hello...

5/11/24:

S. Novato, Pacheco Valle area
1 active nest hosting 1 adult RED-SHOULDERED HAWK feeding a newborn, with
photos at https://ebird.org/checklist/S173744376

5/9/24:

Rush Creek, via Binford Rd. on east side of Hwy. 101 at the San Marin exit, Novato, Marin Co.:

3 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE in breeding plumage .....distant fuzzy, poor photos at https://ebird.org/checklist/S173130956

( https://ebird.org/checklist/S173130956 ) Marsh Rd. (s. side of Hwy. 37 immediately east of Hwy. 101):

61 BONAPARTE'S GULL (approximately 40% in breeding plumage)...distant, average photos at
https://ebird.org/checklist/S173128133

(All of these 61 individuals were at least 2,000' from my spotting scope and Canon R5 camera (and digiscope with my iPhone 14.)

Regards, Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

WarblerWatch.com

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 5:57 am
From: jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hermit Warbler singing
Hi Birders,
I found a singing Hermit Warbler, I think there were 2, about .5 mi below
the cascade dam on the Kent pump road. I also had a Purple Martin overhead
a couple of times as they used to nest around Kent lake and may still.
Jim

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 4:43 pm
From: richard s. cimino via groups.io <rscimino...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Gulls, Terns Phalaropes and Swans
I'm a tad behind the curve in reporting Gulls, Terns, and Swans in northern
Marin County.

Yesterday evening, Janet and I went birding at the Rush Creek Playa, hoping
to find that the subject species had recently been reported.

Arriving at the southern end of the playa, we counted 48 Bonapart Gulls. The
group showed different levels of plumage.

The Bonapart gulls are a striking species.

There were three Forester Terns diving; we looked hard for a possible Common
Tern, but none were seen.

Eighteen Mute Swans and small numbers of Northern Pintails and Gadwal Ducks
were seen.

Four Red-necked Phalaropes were also present.

Yours,

Rich Cimino

www.yellowbilledtours.com

Back to top
Date: 5/7/24 12:23 pm
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Dave DeSante's BBS Route - need to pass the baton
Greetings North Bay Birders,

I'm looking for someone to take over Dave's BBS Route in Western Marin.
He started it in 1971 and I believe it is the longest continuously
running BBS route in California. I have been doing it for the past 15
years or so but need to pass it over to someone who can be committed and
dedicated to it for at least a few years.

BBS data have become instrumental in documenting trends in bird
populations at continental, regional, and local scales. They involve
driving 25 miles and doing point counts at 50 stops of three minutes
each. Observers need to know he local bird vocalizations well, as 85% of
detections are by sound. More information on the BBS program is here:
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/

Dave's route begins a bit past the Sky Camp trailhead at the top of
Limantour Road, to Bear Valley Road, SFD through Samuel Taylor to the
ex-Golf Course, left up Nicasio Valley Road, and then right on Lucas
Valley Road to end past the Big Rock trailhead. The time window is May
22nd to June 30th but we have been doing it between the 25th and 10th
for consistency. It begins at 05:20 at the first stop and ends around
10-10:30. We usually get 70-80 species and we've had Northern Parula,
Indigo Bunting, and Hermit Warbler on past surveys.

I will be able to do it this year, on either Friday May 31 or Saturday
June 1, and would like to train one or more that day, as Dave did with
me when I took over. Having >1 observer trained may be useful down the
road.  If you'd be willing to make this commitment and can be available
either of those days please email or text me.

Thanks and good birding!

Peter
415-272-8065

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 9:47 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Rush Creek Marsh Binford Road
Having read the reports, Rosita and I left Walnut Creek before 4:30 this afternoon.  Many American Avocets were along Hwy 37 as we drove.  At the marsh itself, the Bonaparte's Gulls and Red-necked Phalaropes were as advertised.  Swallows flying all over the place, too.  We had a few Pintails along with Ruddy Ducks and American Wigeon.  It was a great show.
We continued to my little sister's house south of San Marin High School in Novato.  There we watched the feeders in their backyard.  Pine Siskins all over the seed feeders and trays, Papa Western Bluebird feeding fledglings, Hooded Orioles coming in, too.  Their bird house has an Oak Titmouse family so we saw adults grabbing live meals worms for their kids, too.

Holly Merker has it correct, Ornitherapy works.  Look for her book of the same name.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 5/4/24 9:56 pm
From: William Legge via groups.io <WGDLegge...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gulls
To follow on from the thread, there were impressive numbers of Red-necked Phalaropes at Rush Creek (Petaluma Marshes) this evening - best viewed from Binford Road. Lucas Corneliussen and I conservatively estimated a thousand present - quite the sight and all in breeding plumage. Also 115+ Bonaparte’s Gulls there too. No sign of the Tufted Duck today but two late Aleutian Cackling Geese next to Binford Road.

Plus I am belatedly reporting over 400 Bonaparte’s Gulls at Bolinas Lagoon on Friday evening too. High numbers of Bonaparte’s Gulls this spring for sure. Enjoy!

William Legge
Mill Valley
> On May 4, 2024, at 9:24 PM, Lisa Hug <lisahug...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> There has been a large movement of Bonaparte's Gulls along the coast the last few days caused by the strong winds. late this afternoon I had a wonderful experience with around 600 Bonaparte's Gulls on Salmon Creek Beach (just north of Bodega Bay). There were also large numbers or whimbrels on the beach.
>
> In Bodega Harbor there were hundreds of Semipalmated Plovers, and a few scatterings of Red-necked Phalaropes in breeding plumage. There are also some Red Knots around.
>
> The traffic in Bodega Bay was pretty bad this afternoon due to the Fisherman's Festival at Westside Park. Also, the road to Bodega Head was closed - I don't know why.
>
> Lisa Hug
> Sebastopol.

Back to top

Date: 5/4/24 10:45 am
From: claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Loma Alta Bird Song (Recordings Here), Via Returning Species (All Expected Here Annually): Lazuli Bunting, Grasshopper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Horned Lark
i am emotional that so many people are so in love with birds...thank you.

> On 05/04/2024 9:04 AM PDT Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> wrote:
>

> Good day:
>
> It was challenging to choose which modality was more joyful yesterday during my visit
> to the Loma Alta Trail*: the profusion infusion of diverse, native wildflowers species....or the ubiquitous bird song (via the above subject line species).
>
> The corresponding songs of the species mentioned in the subject line here are at
> my eBird checklist:
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S171926904
>
> My Facebook post has several wildflower photos.
>
> Meanwhile, happy spring discoveries...and, indeed, I guess it's true that our tardy rain events
> proves April Showers Bring May Flowers....
>
> Regards, Daniel Edelstein
> Novato, CA
>
> WarblerWatch.com

Back to top

Date: 5/3/24 9:36 am
From: jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] White Wagtail
Hi birders,

The WHWA found in the pumpkin patch field across the road from the Bolinas
School by Sam Eberhard continues this morning foraging on the mud flats!
Neat bird,
Jim

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 6:30 pm
From: Mark Dettling via groups.io <mark.dettling...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] White Wagtail (Black-backed), Bolinas
Hi all!
Sam Eberhard found a White Wagtail in Bolinas this afternoon around 4pm.
It was in the farm field east (lagoon side) of Olema-Bolinas Rd near the
Bolinas School. This is a fenced off area so you are viewing from the side
of the road with the bird ~100m away. I was able to see it with a group of
other birders from about 4:30-5:30. It was still there when I left.

The consensus of the birders there was that this was the Black-backed
subspecies. Some distant photos will likely be posted to eBird lists this
evening, but I don't personally have any.

If you decide to look for the bird, there is some parking along the road
directly next to the field, but make sure not to block the bike path. It
stayed mainly on the open mud on the east side of the field. It made a few
short flights but returned to the mud each time.

Great find Sam!

--
Mark Dettling
Lagunitas

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 5:29 pm
From: bkeener52 via groups.io <bill.keener...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Black-crowned Night-heron hunting Cliff Swallows at Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds
I was birding with friends today at the Las Gallinas sewage treatment ponds in Novato, and we stopped to watch Cliff Swallows perch on a short strand of barbed wire atop a utility platform. The swallow are nesting under the platform. An adult Black-crowned Night-heron was standing just below them on the platform, and suddenly the night-heron snagged a swallow in mid-air as the swallow took off from its perch. I had never seen this behavior before! We waited for 10 minutes, and watched the night-heron do it again, grabbing a fluttering swallow by its tail and then gulping it down. I didn't have my camera with me, so if someone else can capture this interesting hunting behavior, that would be great. There is a report of a Great Blue Heron catching a fly-by swallow, but I'm not sure this has been observed with night-herons.

The place where we stood to observe this activity is 38.028515, -122.517684, which is next to the No Trespassing sign near the northwest corner of Pond 1 (the Wildlife pond). It's as far north as you can walk along the gravel road. The platform where the birds were located is about 100 feet away, across the creek to the west, and not on public land, as far as I can tell. This hunting occurred in bright sunshine at 10:00 am.

Good luck.

Bill Keener
Corte Madera

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 2:39 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Private: Re: Sonoma County- Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa area 4/27 and 4/29/24
sorry for the bad report link, this should work:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/229172

Also neglected to mention -

4//29 - On Hood Mountain at Merganser pond there was of ecological
significance a

Wild Turkey - adult female in defensive posture and making a few mock
charges as 4+ few-days-old poults scattered from the trail on the east side
of the pond.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 8:59 AM Judi S. <judisierra...> wrote:

> Error message with NB trip report

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 2:22 pm
From: Frank Cox via groups.io <frnkcox6...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Great-tailed Grackle seen at Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds
Yesterday (4/30/2024) ~ 2pm there was a male Great-tailed Grackle picking around the shallow East end of Pond #2 at the Las Gallinas Wildlife (aka sewer) ponds.  On my occasional visits - the last I'd seen grackles there was around ten years ago.  The purple sheen and wind-whipped long flashing tail was diagnostic to me.

Back to top
Date: 4/30/24 5:12 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Got a chance to bird some sites in Sonoma County the past few days.

On Saturday 4/27 I made several visits throughout the day to Crane Creek
Regional Park of Roberts Ranch/Pressley Rd.s east of Rohnert Park. This is
a very fun and accessible (128 acres) park for birding that features Oak
Savannah, restored Riparian and especially Grassland.

Here are some observations I found interesting/notable :

White-tailed Kite - foraging over park in the morning and afternoon, likely
breeding nearby

SWAINSON'S HAWKS - I did not expect to see Swainson's Hawks in the Laguna
de Santa Rosa this late into spring. A pair of Light Morph birds were
foraging together and interacting over the park and neighboring
vineyard/ranchland several hours apart in the early and late afternoon.
Based on this behavior it may be that these birds are looking to pair and
nest nearby, they were not behaving as migrants just passing through the
area do.

American Kestrel - our smallest falcon has decreased dramatically in recent
decades as a breeding bird in Marin as well San Mateo and San Francisco
(nearing extirpation in the last two.) I'm not as familiar with its status
in Sonoma but I think it is always worth noting in the breeding season

Western Kingbird - a pair was teaming with Red-winged Blackbirds to mob a
scrub jay in the tree at the entrance to the park. I initially thought they
were defending their nest but turned out the scrub jay was hunting fence
lizards. The jay successfully captured its prey, shook the pursuers, then
flew with the food into a presumed nest tree/Live Oak north of the parking
lot

Savannah Sparrow - perhaps a lingering wintering bird, briefly in the tree
at entrance driveway to park in the morning only, I'm not aware of nesting
Savannah Sparrows in Sonoma County away from the Bayside and immediate
coast,

Grasshopper Sparrow - several very cooperative individuals found throughout
the day at edge park/frisbee golf course

On 4/29 Megan Mosur and I Hiked the lower Johnson Ridge Trail from the
parking lot at Hood Mountain Regional Park to Merganser Pond in the early
afternoon. This is accessed from Pythina Rd. on the north side of HWY 12,
across from the east entrance to the Oakmant Active Senior Community.

Some observations we found notable here :

Mountain Quail - several very vocal birds audible along the two mile route
from 800-1600' elevation despite the late hour

Turkey Vulture - a pair of birds landing on a steep cliff and hanging
around at the base of a fallen tree may have been near a nest site

Pileated Woodpecker - very cooperative individual gathering some sort of
larvae (carpenter ant, termite?) from a tree it was working just past the
parking lot/restrooms. A lifer for Megan and an exciting bird to start the
hike.

Olive-sided Flycatcher - singing and calling above the burn just above
parking lot

Chipping Sparrow - a very localized breeder in the Bay Area in recent
years, interesting to note one on Pythian Rd at the entrance to the
Juvenille Correctional Facility Los Gullicos, not far from the burn. This
species is known to move into clear cuts/burns in the Sierra.

Western Tanager - vocal at 1600' near Merganser pond, habitat here looks
good for this species breeding

On the way back to San Francisco as we got on HWY 101 at the Old Redwood
Highway on-ramp in N. Petaluma, Megan spotted a precocial juvenile
Black-necked Stilt accompanying an adult at the season marsh next the
highway.

A full trip list from the two days with related checklists can be seen here:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/229172?view=checklists

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 4/29/24 1:17 pm
From: jimwhitebbs via groups.io <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] MacGillivray’s
Hi birders,
I found a MGWA singing along Redwood Creek near mm 2.85. It was foraging in
the willows 10-20’ high. Easy to hear it took me quite a while to see it.
Not a likely nester but may stick around a couple of days.
Jim

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 8:51 am
From: ceruleanswift via groups.io <ceruleanswift...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] FOS Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler
In the spirit of first of season reports I was tardy not to report two OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS on April 20 at Stinson Gulch.  Also on that day there was a male BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER in the traditional area just northeast of the Mountain Theatre on Mt Tam.  I will also relay a report of LAZULI BUNTING up the trail to Loma Alta from the top of Lucas Valley Road.

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 9:06 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Miscellaneous Last Few Days, Including Info. Related To Seasonal Sightings
Hope everyone's enjoying interesting spring detections.

Best of my recent birding outings (including links to my photos at eBird checklist #s, below):

4/25/24:

Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds, S. Rafael, Marin Co.

As noted recently here at this listserv, BLUE-WINGED TEAL remain at the "sludge ponds*"
that are immediately east of Pond #2 (see the wayside exhibit for orientation next to the
bridge trailhead that is adjacent to the parking lot).

ONLY two male BLUE-WINGED TEAL remain here, down from the nine total for this species in early April.

Perhaps the bonded female-male for this species at the same "sludge pond" that I earlier mentioned here have eloped elsewhere...The remaining "bachelor"(so far) two individuals will likely soon leave, too.

Likewise, three remaining CINNAMON TEAL (two male and one female) remain in the same "sludge pond.
(* = The "sludge ponds" are inside a football-field size area within a barbed wire fence that is gated.)

As for heron family members at this site, Pond #1 continues to have one ongoing GREEN HERON that I noticed on 4/25/24 flying north to a Common Cattail Grove on the north-northwest side of this pond.

Ongoing sad news that the Common Raven nest 500' northeast of the pond #2 (and near the Monterey Pine trees that are near the gated boardwalk off the main trail heading north-northeast) looks to be successful with eggs laid.

4/24/24:

Bodega Bay Head:

Photos of exquisite BRANDT'S CORMORANT & PELAGIC CORMORANT from the parking lot overlook area are at:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S170169608

In the Bodega Harbor/main bay, I noticed while leading a tour for two birders one 100% breeding plumage EARED GREBE among the
X present across from the horse trailer area.

Photos are at my eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S170137388/media

4/19/24:

At Five Brooks Pond within Pt. Reyes National Seashore, I noticed one
male ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD on a phone line 300' from the parking trailhead.

I'm assuming several readers here have also noticed this phone line appears to be an annual
perching spot for a male ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD.

Photos for this common NBB breeder are at:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169388303

I'll end by noting my enjoyment as a volunteer guide for group I led to this site as one of many volunteer guides for the annual Pt. Reyes Birding Festival group I hosted (My 13th consecutive tour for this fine festival that *David Wimpfheimer* championed and is coordinated by the Environmental Action Committee of W. Marin ( https://www.eacmarin.org/ ). If you've never gone before, it's always an excellent gathering on the third April weekend annually (Friday-Sunday field trips and other events all weekend.).

Regards, Daniel Edelstein

Novato, CA
WarblerWatch.com

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 8:02 pm
From: Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Male Black-headed Grosbeak Friday, April 26 - Sonoma off 5th St. West
Showed up this afternoon.  Filled his crop eagerly with sunflower chips. Last year, male showed up April 11 and then the female on April 24

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 3:29 pm
From: Diane Hichwa via groups.io <dhichwa...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] FOS Occidental 4/26
I heard FOS Olive-sided Flycatcher at Twin Bridges just E of Sea Ranch yesterday 4/25

Diane Hichwa

Email: <dhichwa...> <mailto:<dhichwa...>

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
707-483-3130 (cell)
More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
Millie 2007

On 4/26/24, 11:43 AM, "mike.heffernon" <northbaybirds...> <mailto:<northbaybirds...> on behalf of <mheff...> <mailto:<mheff...>> wrote:

I saw my first Olive-sided Flycatcher of the season here at home this morning, perched on a wire. I typically hear them first but this individual was silent. Today’s date fits in with the average arrival time here for OSFLs. Good birding,

Mike Heffernon
Occidental

Back to top

Date: 4/26/24 9:27 am
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Farallons Swallow-tailed Gull AND Blue Rock Thrush on same day!
Thanks Jeff - Very curious, one or two? Note the only other record in BC
was also on June 6 (1997) so an interesting spring vagrant pattern is
emerging. That bird was written off as a ship-assist or cage-transported
bird so it will be curious to see how this/these records are viewed.

One thing, there are some very big reasons NOT to float around the
Farallones in an inflatable kayak!

Good spring birding all, Peter

On 4/26/2024 9:06 AM, Jeff Perkins via groups.io wrote:
> SO close... and yet so far away...
>
> Per this ebird checklist, yesterday, birders on the Farallons were
> treated to a Swallow-Tailed Gull AND a Blue Rock Thrush.
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S170309209
>
> Wow - right place at the right time. (and yes, we live in a pretty
> amazing place for great birds!)
>
> alas - restricted access, so only a few will get the pleasure of
> looking for these birds... but I'm wondering if my inflatable kayak is
> up to such a voyage, and would the birds be kind enough to pose on an
> outcrop for a boat-based view for one willing to paddle ;-)
>
> Curious if the same Blue Rock Thrush photographed at Cannon Beach in
> Oregon on 21Apr? (if yes, why would he be moving south?)
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/ABArare/permalink/7705621529498423/

Back to top

Date: 4/22/24 5:35 pm
From: Mike Carozza via groups.io <mike.carozza...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Black-chinned, Nashville, Pleasant Hill Rd Sebastopol
Hi Birders,

Today as I sat on our porch on Pleasant Hill Road in Sebastopol, an adult
male BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD buzzed past our feeder showing its
beautiful violet-colored gorget. I've never seen one in Northern
California, but it wasn't an Anna's because the gorget was so purple and
confined to the throat (which also rules out Costa's). Later, there was a
NASHVILLE WARBLER foraging and singing in a live oak down our hill from
that spot. A CHIPPING SPARROW and ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHERS also sang while
TREE SWALLOWS jockeyed with bluebirds for our nest boxes.

Happy Spring!

MC

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 10:18 am
From: Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
We heard several in Chileno Valley last Saturday.
~Dede

On Apr 22, 2024, at 10:13 AM, mike.heffernon <mheff...> wrote:

Hello birders,

I heard my first Ash-throated Flycatcher of the season this morning, at home, a couple of miles SW of the town of Occidental.
Good birding,
Mike Heffernon
Occidental

Back to top

Date: 4/21/24 10:10 am
From: Pam Harris via groups.io <pamharris1...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] White Tailed Kites nesting
I have a pair of White Tail Kites nesting at the top of a large conifer outside my house in Larkspur. I wake each morning to their chirps and love watching them fly back and forth to the nest with twigs. Lots of fighting off the crows. I think I hear babies when the adults return to the nest but not sure.

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 7:06 am
From: claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
i would have never thought there were golden eagles here...thats amazing.

> On 04/20/2024 8:31 PM PDT David Barry <wildbarrydb...> wrote:
>

> Hello NBB's,
> This morning (04/20/24) we were on a Wildflower Hike with Sonoma Mountain Preservation at Van Hoosear Wildflower Preserve in Sonoma, CA.
> I was able to spot and point out for the group an adult GOLDEN EAGLE being harrassed by an American Crow and 2 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS.
> The Eagle soared right over our heads and was then picked up and harrassed by a RED-TAILED HAWK.
> Fun day.
> Dave Barry
> Santa Rosa

Back to top

Date: 4/19/24 10:25 am
From: Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Thrush @ Five Brooks, Point Reyes National Seashore
….some of you may have also been hearing for the first time the call note of the arriving Swainson’s Thrush.

I am now hearing the “whit” call version in its repertoire of different call notes… Usually the first version I hear is a more of a drip note different call note version and its repertoire. So I think it’s interesting to hear it for the first time the spring for me. A different call note that I’m usually hearing initially.

….excuse me: now back to my birding tour that I’m leading as a volunteer for the point reyes birding festival.

Regards, Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

WarblerWatch.com