mendobirds
Received From Subject
5/13/24 8:59 am Robert Keiffer via groups.io <rjkeiffer...> [Mendobirds] Rufous-crowned Sparrow
5/11/24 9:47 pm Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> Re: [Mendobirds] Noyo Pelagic Trip summary 11 May 24
5/11/24 9:06 pm Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> [Mendobirds] Noyo Pelagic Trip summary 11 May 24
5/9/24 4:16 pm Roger Adamson via groups.io <radamson...> [Mendobirds] Longspur at Noyo Headlands
5/9/24 2:07 pm Jessica Morton via groups.io <jessica...> [Mendobirds] LALO at Noyo
5/8/24 10:56 am Matt Franks via groups.io <mistermicrophone...> [Mendobirds] Lapland Longspur at Noyo Headlands
5/5/24 7:40 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> [Mendobirds] Lapland Longspur / Noyo Headlands Punchbowl
5/5/24 6:27 pm Tim Bray via groups.io <tbray...> [Mendobirds] Bonaparte's Gulls and Pacific Loons
5/3/24 4:21 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> [Mendobirds] Sarah Flaim / Hermit Warbler / Gravel Pit Rd
5/1/24 8:05 pm Roger Adamson via groups.io <radamson...> [Mendobirds] Ward Ave shorebirds
4/30/24 12:23 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> [Mendobirds] Shorebird Migration is in Full Swing
4/29/24 6:40 pm Julia Larke via groups.io <coastlark...> Re: [Mendobirds] TUVU nest and eggs
4/29/24 3:35 pm Larry Jordan via groups.io <thelarryjordan...> Re: [Mendobirds] TUVU nest and eggs
4/28/24 8:28 pm Robert Keiffer via groups.io <rjkeiffer...> [Mendobirds] TUVU nest and eggs
4/28/24 11:43 am kent leland via groups.io <kentleland...> [Mendobirds] Long-tailed duck
4/27/24 3:37 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> Re: [Mendobirds] Hummingbirds puzzle
4/27/24 3:03 pm darliss60 via groups.io <darliss60...> Re: [Mendobirds] Hummingbirds puzzle
4/27/24 2:42 pm Sarah via groups.io <redwoodsinger...> Re: [Mendobirds] Hummingbirds puzzle
4/27/24 1:53 pm Kitty & Creek Norris via groups.io <kitty...> [Mendobirds] Hummingbirds puzzle
4/25/24 11:32 am Rain Tenaqiya 4001 Parducci Rd Ukiah, CA 95482 via groups.io <raincascadia...> [Mendobirds] Hermit Warbler
4/21/24 8:52 am Rain Tenaqiya 4001 Parducci Rd Ukiah, CA 95482 via groups.io <raincascadia...> [Mendobirds] Nashville Warbler
4/20/24 9:20 am jackson_us via groups.io <jackson2...> Re: [Mendobirds] Early juvenile brown pelicans and a few other sightings
4/20/24 7:50 am Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> Re: [Mendobirds] Early juvenile brown pelicans and a few other sightings
4/19/24 4:01 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> Re: [Mendobirds] Early juvenile brown pelicans and a few other sightings
4/19/24 3:51 pm jackson_us via groups.io <jackson2...> [Mendobirds] Early juvenile brown pelicans and a few other sightings
4/18/24 6:07 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> [Mendobirds] Long-tailed Duck continues, Virgin Creek

Back to top
Date: 5/13/24 8:59 am
From: Robert Keiffer via groups.io <rjkeiffer...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Rufous-crowned Sparrow
Sunday - 12 May 2024, Rufous-crowned Sparrows are once again singing along the Mountain House Rd (hwy 128 to Hopland road). The location is a sloping hillside with scattered coyote bushes very near the 10 MPH sign/ gravel dirt section of road. This is only about an eighth mile from Hwy 128. Two were heard singing, one photographed.
Good birding. Bob Keiffer. <rjkeiffer...> Hopland MEN CA

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 9:47 pm
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Noyo Pelagic Trip summary 11 May 24
I forgot to mention what for some was the highlight of the trip - our
only passerine, at one of the chum slicks, about 25 miles from shore,
possibly a warbler, no, probably a sparrow, yes, possibly, no probably,
a /Spizella/, and Chipping Sparrow makes the most sense. Luckily Tim
Bray got rather incredible (under the circumstances) photos of a nice
spring-plumaged Clay-colored Sparrow!

Cheers, Peter

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 9:06 pm
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Noyo Pelagic Trip summary 11 May 24
Greetings Mendobirds,

Thirty-one birders had a pleasant and fun pelagic trip today with
Captain Richard Thornton (https://anchorcharterboats.com/) on the
Kraken. Winds were calm in the morning and picked up to moderate from
the SW in the afternoon. The dense fog helpfully held off until about an
hour after the trip. We went WSW to the Navarro Canyon and the
continental slope, 18-22 miles from shore, then out into the deep water
off the continental shelf out to 30 miles and put out two chum slicks.

Birds were sparse at first as we traversed the 'salmon water' out to 15
miles off shore. The upwelling of this past week followed by two sunny
days creates a phytoplankton bloom that is good for catching salmon and
to kick-start this summer's marine food web, but is not that great for
in-situ birdlife. The sea surface temp (SST) was a cold 52 degrees F.
About 15 miles from shore we began to see whales breaching on the
horizon. We passed over a sharp break from the salmon water to clear
blue pelagic water and the sea breeze noticeably warmed, as the SST
shifted instantly to 56 degrees.

In this area is where we encountered most of today's wildlife action:
80-100 feeding, spouting, breaching, spy-hopping Humpback Whales,
included 2-3 'friendlies' that camped under the boat, fully visible in
the clear water and gracing us with their aromatic, rainbow-inducing
breath-spray. Accompanying this whale frenzy was some 5,000-10,000
birds, including mostly Sooty Shearwaters but also 100's of Sabine's
Gulls and Pink-footed Shearwaters, dozens of Black-footed Albatrosses
and full-alternate plumaged Red-necked and Red Phalaropes, and 1-3 each
of Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels, Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Laysan
Albatrosses, and Northern Fulmars among the regular gulls, alcids,
Pacific loons, and etc. It was one of those rare situations where there
were so many birds and other stuff to look at that we could not find
anything different, although surely there was something good in there.
Some 200-300 Pacific White-sided Dolphins sallied and jumped about
accompanied by a few Northern Right Whale Dolphins, and both species of
fir seals and both species of sea lions were part of the fray.

Date: 5/9/24 4:16 pm
From: Roger Adamson via groups.io <radamson...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Longspur at Noyo Headlands
The LALO is still actively feeding near the table 200 yds west of the restrooms. 4:00 pm Thursday, 9 May.
RHA

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 2:07 pm
From: Jessica Morton via groups.io <jessica...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] LALO at Noyo
Lapland Longspur refound at 1:15 and observed for the next hour, thanks to Matt’s excellent directions.
Bird was feeding continuously in the grass, mainly between trashcan and picnic table, moving only slightly whenever people with dogs approached.

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 10:56 am
From: Matt Franks via groups.io <mistermicrophone...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Lapland Longspur at Noyo Headlands
The Lapland Longspur continues this morning at Noyo Headlands, between the
bathrooms and the cliffs, foraging just off the laths. Found by Lisa
Walker-Roseman this morning and spotted by several others. Beautiful
breeding male.

(39.4314487, -123.8141266)

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 7:40 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Lapland Longspur / Noyo Headlands Punchbowl

This morning, Michael P. reported a Lapland Longspur at Noyo Headlands
near the Punchbowl at the south-westernmost corner of the park past the
bathrooms overlooking the buoy.

Good birding! He has a photo.

L Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg/Cleone

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 6:27 pm
From: Tim Bray via groups.io <tbray...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Bonaparte's Gulls and Pacific Loons
Big flight of Bonaparte's Gulls and Pacific Loons this afternoon, going
north low over the water just offshore at Mendocino Headlands and
probably visible from any good promontory. The Gulls were strung out in
a nearly continuous line just outside the rocks and the Loons were in
loose flocks of around 20 birds every few seconds.

I didn't have my scope so couldn't tell what else was out there, but
expect Phalaropes are also going by.  Someone sent me a photo of an
injured bird in Boonville and it was a female Red-necked Phalarope in
breeding plumage.

Big colonies of Common Murres and Brandt's Cormorants on the rocks off
the north headlands at Mendocino. The Murres are crowded together in
several places and are vocalizing. Some Brandt's Cormorants are already
on nests and others are building theirs.

There were a few Brown Pelicans, including adults, on the farthest rock.

Let's hope it's another good Anchovy year!

--
Cheers,
Tim

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 4:21 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Sarah Flaim / Hermit Warbler / Gravel Pit Rd
Sarah Flaim reports a Hermit Warbler at the entrance to Gravel Pit Road,
2.5 mi east on Highway 20 out of Ft Bragg - at Jackson State
Demonstration Forest. She has a wonderful photo of the bird.

Lisa Walker-Roseman for Sarah Flaim, Fort Bragg

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 8:05 pm
From: Roger Adamson via groups.io <radamson...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Ward Ave shorebirds
Easily a couple thousand shorebirds seen this morning at Ward Avenue and
north. Mostly Western Sandpipers with high numbers of Dunlin, Least
Sand, Sanderlings, and Semi-palmated Plovers. At least 10 Ruddy
Turnstones, 30-50 Whimbrel, one Marbled Godwit, a couple of Short-billed
Dowitchers, and a few Snowy Plover. They were all terrified by a young
Peregrine. Several Caspian Terns flew by and one White-Winged Scoter
made an appearance.
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Back to top
Date: 4/30/24 12:23 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Shorebird Migration is in Full Swing
Hi, all!

Virgin Creek Beach saw a lot of shorebird activity early this morning -
my list:

List of shorebirds from this morning:
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Sanderling
Semipalmated Plover
Dunlin
Ruddy Turnstone
Red Knot
Black-bellied Plover
Short-billed Dowitcher
Whimbrel
Marbled Godwit

It paid to go out in that horribly cold wind! I only wish I had worn a
jacket!

I didn't add Killdeer to the list. So that makes 12 total species of
shorebirds, with 11 of them being migrants

--
Lisa D Walker-Roseman, Feather's Fotos
https://facebook.com/PhotographyByFeather

Back to top
Date: 4/29/24 6:40 pm
From: Julia Larke via groups.io <coastlark...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] TUVU nest and eggs
Yes, super cool discovery. Their nests are rarely seen. I enjoyed this
video and article … all hail the turkey vulture!
https://www.cmnh.org/the-great-(and-gross)-turkey-vulture

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 8:28 PM Robert Keiffer via groups.io <rjkeiffer=
<att.net...> wrote:

> 28 April 2024. Today I found a Turkey Vulture nest cavity in a hollow
> black oak tree. The trunk has a 1” crack near the base and I was able to
> peek at the two eggs inside. The adult had scrambled up and out of the
> cavity as I got close to the base.
> I cannot stress the importance of old decadent hollow oak trees! Good
> birding. Bob Keiffer. Hopland, Mendocino County <rjkeiffer...>

Back to top
Date: 4/29/24 3:35 pm
From: Larry Jordan via groups.io <thelarryjordan...>
That is a very cool find! And an excellent photo. Thanks for sharing that.
Larry

Date: 4/28/24 8:28 pm
From: Robert Keiffer via groups.io <rjkeiffer...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] TUVU nest and eggs

Date: 4/28/24 11:43 am
From: kent leland via groups.io <kentleland...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Long-tailed duck
Hi folks,

I finally saw the female Long-tailed Duck. It right where Lisa has seen it. When you stand on the Haul road bridge on Virgin creek look east toward the house with the American flag. Virgin Creek takes a left hand turn there. The duck is behind the bank most of the time but occasionally it will come out and be visible. It did not ever come toward the bridge when I was observing it. Good luck spotting it.

Kent

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 3:37 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Hummingbirds puzzle
On 2024-04-27 1:52 pm, Kitty & Creek Norris wrote:
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> We had about 50-60 hungry hummingbirds arrive around first week of
>> March.We had 6 feeders out, and were refilling them like busy
>> caterers.
>> They left, en masse, around 20-22 of April.
>> We normally spend Mid-March - October-ish catering to these little
>> ones, and this was a surprise.
>> What is happening at your places? Did they show up at yours?
>>
>> Kitty &Creek
>> SW of Willits

I had several at mine and they always disappear at the same time of year
- they are nesting, or have moved off to different areas for nesting
season. They will be back. This time of year they are hunting more
insects and are more interested in natural food sources for their
babies.

Hope this helps!

Lisa Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg/Cleone

Date: 4/27/24 3:03 pm
From: darliss60 via groups.io <darliss60...>
Just as the Manzanita started to bloom we had three or four Rufus hanging out for two or three days. We get an occasional Anna's that are hit and miss at best. Where we live in Brooktrails it's nearly a bird free area. Our Yard List is pitiful.Luck!F and D Sanderson Brooktrails
On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 2:42 PM, Sarah via groups.io<redwoodsinger...> wrote: Same here 2 miles east of Fort Bragg…I have 2 Rufus and maybe 1 Anna’s!  This has happened other years but not so quickly and down to almost none!  Ours usually increased in Oct/November as well briefly before winter…
Sarah, PT

Date: 4/27/24 2:42 pm
From: Sarah via groups.io <redwoodsinger...>

Back to top

Date: 4/25/24 11:32 am
From: Rain Tenaqiya 4001 Parducci Rd Ukiah, CA 95482 via groups.io <raincascadia...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Hermit Warbler
I got to see and hear an adult male hermit warbler high in the interior live oak next to my house northwest of Ukiah this morning.

Rain

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 8:52 am
From: Rain Tenaqiya 4001 Parducci Rd Ukiah, CA 95482 via groups.io <raincascadia...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Nashville Warbler
I've had a Nashville warbler the last two days at my home northwest of Ukiah, singing high in the oaks.

Rain

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 9:20 am
From: jackson_us via groups.io <jackson2...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Early juvenile brown pelicans and a few other sightings
I'm so very glad to learn this. It just seemed so wrong that juveniles would be here already. Thanks, Peter. I know we'll all be interested in learning how this year's nesting goes.

Date: 4/20/24 7:50 am
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>

groups.io wrote:
> Yesterday and today, I was seeing juveniles flying with adults, as
> well. All heading north, except ONE small group of four, who were
> heading south - Brown Pelicans, from Virgin Creek Beach.
>
> Lisa D Walker-Roseman
> Ft Bragg/Cleone

Back to top

Date: 4/19/24 3:51 pm
From: jackson_us via groups.io <jackson2...>
4/19/24

Hi All,

I've received several photos of brown-headed brown pelicans. I searched my
photos and didn't find any sightings of juvenile pelis until May. They are
headed north, passing Gualala yesterday and again today. Photo is by Michael
Reinhart. Have others seen juveniles this early in prior years?

Hermit thrush is singing in the mornings and evenings at my place in
Anchor Bay. I'll be listening for another to pair up with this most
excellent singer. (Hi, Robert Keiffer!)

Mature Bald eagle seen today at the Gualala River.

The Osprey nest I watch through a spotting scope has been rebuilt, but not
nearly as big as last year's rebuild. The female is sitting on the nest.

Also, gray whale mothers and calves are passing by now. Two pairs were
seen by the Mercers at the PA Lighthouse bluffs this afternoon.

Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 6:07 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Long-tailed Duck continues, Virgin Creek

Hi, all,

The Long-tailed Duck in Virgin Creek continues. She's doing well in
spite of being in the middle of a bad molt; she was having a hard time
flying last time I saw her, but she is holding her own and sticking
close to the Johnston House. Some friends and I caught a distant glimpse
of her as she rested on the creek bank this morning, east of the bridge.

Lisa Walker-Roseman,
Fort Bragg-Cleone