calbirds
Received From Subject
5/18/24 5:27 pm Rebecca Marschall via groups.io <rebecca.fenning...> [CALBIRDS] LA Birders Webinar: Flycatcher ID Made Accessible, 5/21
5/16/24 11:16 am Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara
5/16/24 11:13 am <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...> Re: [CALBIRDS] putative YH Caracara Los Angeles
5/16/24 11:12 am Butch Carter via groups.io <carterbutch...> [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara
5/15/24 7:27 pm Rishab Ghosh via groups.io <rishab.ghosh...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara origins
5/15/24 5:29 pm Chuck & Lillian via groups.io <misclists...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara origins
5/15/24 11:51 am Linette Davenport via groups.io <littlewing250...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara origins
5/15/24 10:32 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara origins
5/14/24 9:05 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [CALBIRDS] Yellow-Headed Caracara - eBird Protocol (forwarding from LA listserv)
5/14/24 10:33 am <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] putative YH Caracara Los Angeles
5/12/24 10:17 am Braxton Landsman via groups.io <balbhl...> [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] TROPICAL PARULA
5/9/24 9:53 pm Alvaro Jaramillo via groups.io <chucao...> [CALBIRDS] Pelagics - Half Moon Bay - Bodega - Sausalito - Monterey - Morro Bay
5/8/24 4:02 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] Fw: Cruiseship off w. SBA: 8 Hawaiian and 6 Cook's Petrels, 4 Tropicbirds, 2 Laysans
5/3/24 7:08 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [CALBIRDS] Blue Rock Thrush
5/2/24 7:03 pm Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/30/24 4:11 pm Denise and David Hamilton via groups.io <2napabirders...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/28/24 5:39 pm Harold Reeve via groups.io <birder...> [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus Co.
4/27/24 7:43 pm Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
4/27/24 7:37 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
4/27/24 9:23 am Sammy Cowell via groups.io <samueldavidcowell...> [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite in Ventura County
4/26/24 10:12 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/26/24 9:35 am Gerry McChesney via groups.io <gerry.mcchesney...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/23/24 3:42 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Kite photos
4/23/24 3:25 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] One more try...
4/23/24 3:22 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Hmmm
4/23/24 3:20 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Kite photos and short video
4/23/24 3:10 pm Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite
4/23/24 2:40 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite

Back to top
Date: 5/18/24 5:27 pm
From: Rebecca Marschall via groups.io <rebecca.fenning...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] LA Birders Webinar: Flycatcher ID Made Accessible, 5/21
Dear Birders,

You are invited to the next LA Birders webinar:

Webinar: Flycatcher ID Made Accessible: from Empids to Kingbirds

With Cin-Ty Lee and Andrew Birch

Tuesday, May 21 at 7pm – on YouTube <https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f>

Flycatchers are notoriously difficult to identify. Join author Cin-Ty Lee
and illustrator Andrew Birch of the new Princeton Field Guide series to
North American Flycatchers – Volume 1 focused on Empidonax flycatchers
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691240626/field-guide-to-north-american-flycatchers>
was published in 2023, and Volume 2 on Myiarchus flycatchers and kingbirds
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691240640/field-guide-to-north-american-flycatchers>
has just been released.

Cin-Ty and Andy will go over the basics of flycatcher identification and
teach you how to look and listen to flycatchers. The talk will have
elements useful to both advanced and beginning birders.

This webinar will be livestreamed on our YouTube channel
<https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f> and will also be recorded for later viewing.
Please use the YouTube link above (alternatively:
https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f) which will take you directly to LAB’s main
page, where the live webinar should be visible once it begins at 7pm.

Become a LAB Member! Though our webinars will always remain free and
available to all, members of Los Angeles Birders have access to live
webinars via Zoom, invitations to special LAB-only field trips, priority
sign-up on LAB field trips & events, and discounts on paid LAB programs. To
learn more about membership, please see our website
<https://www.labirders.org/>!

Looking for a past webinar? Don’t forget that a list of all of our
previously recorded webinars <https://www.labirders.org/webinars.html> is
available on our website – which might come in handy if you want to study
up before a field trip, or if you're looking to build your birding skills
from home! Just scroll all the way down, past our upcoming and most recent
online programs and you'll find a list of webinars sorted by category.
These recordings are all viewable via our YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHbAhQTFVaeowMCl-sD2e0g> page.

Quiz yourself! Did you know that LAB’s website features monthly quizzes to
test your bird identification skills? You can find the current quiz, and
all past quizzes on our website <https://labirders.org/quizzes.html>. Thank
you to LAB-Students members for putting in the time to devise these for us!

Upcoming Programs

5/21 Flycatcher ID made Accessible: from Empids to Kingbirds with Cin-Ty
Lee and Andy Birch (webinar)

6/2 5-hour Redondo Canyon Pelagic (field trip, member priority sign-up)

6/2 First Sundays at the Huntington with Katy Mann (member-only field trip)

6/18 Montane Song with Lance Benner (webinar)

Good birding,

Rebecca Marschall for Los Angeles Birders

<info...>

--
Rebecca Fenning Marschall
<rebecca.fenning...>

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 11:16 am
From: Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara
Hi Butch,
Escapee and Provisional settings for species are set automatically by eBird central. In the case of the Yellow-headed Caracara, it is set to Escapee in California, and has to be manually reset to Provisional by the local reviewers for each new record that is entered. It will be changed shortly, please have patience.
Tom
Redlands, CA
On Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 11:12:09 AM PDT, Butch Carter via groups.io <carterbutch...> wrote:

Today I drove up and saw and photographed the Caracara, when I posted to eBird my entry for the bird was an escapee? When I look on the species map most but not all of the postings are labeled as provisional, how can I change mine to provisional?
    Thank you     Butch Carter     Santa Ysabel, California

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 11:13 am
From: <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] putative YH Caracara Los Angeles
Sorry, today Tuesday is 5/14/2024.
We got tired of looking at the bird today and have left. An employee of the
Laundromat states that this bird has been there for approximately one
month. There is a landfill very close by, to the south which could be one
of its food sources. The bird was observed eating a rat that it caught on
the roof.
This large parking lot is being repaved. We explained to the construction
workers who are very nice and letting us look for the bird the significance
of it. It (The store, not the bird) used to be an Albertson's but now it is
a Target,

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"Az sem kellemes, ha halálra ítélik az embert, de hogy a sakk csapatában se
játszhasson már, az váratlanul érte. Erre végképp nem volt felkészülve"
--Spiró György

On Tue, May 14, 2024, 11:10 <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Being seen and photographed by David Moody, Tracy Drake et al right now
> 5/13/2024 at 10:45 a.m.
>
> Thomas Geza Miko
> Claremont, LA County
> 909.241.3300
> "Az sem kellemes, ha halálra ítélik az embert, de hogy a sakk csapatában
> se játszhasson már, az váratlanul érte. Erre végképp nem volt felkészülve"
> --Spiró György
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2024, 10:32 <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko=
> <gmail.com...> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> There has been a cross posting of a rated conversation including a photo
>> of what absolutely looks like a Yellow-headed Caracara that was supposedly
>> taken in Lomita California at the following location:
>> https://goo.gl/maps/Kr1bHMYw3j2FvgF4A
>> I assume that birders are on the way there to look for this bird and will
>> report it if seen. The photo does not show any indication of a falconry.
>>

>> Thomas Geza Miko
>> Claremont, LA County
>> 909.241.3300
>> "Az sem kellemes, ha halálra ítélik az embert, de hogy a sakk csapatában
>> se játszhasson már, az váratlanul érte. Erre végképp nem volt felkészülve"
>> --Spiró György

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 11:12 am
From: Butch Carter via groups.io <carterbutch...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara

Date: 5/15/24 7:27 pm
From: Rishab Ghosh via groups.io <rishab.ghosh...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-headed Caracara origins
Seconding that fantastic book by Jonathan Meiburg. One of its points is
that the well studied “smartest birds” are ravens or crows, which don’t
exist in South America and their place as generalist predator/scavengers is
taken by caracaras, which have therefore had to develop a similar level of
social behavior, curiosity, and intelligence.

-Rishab

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:51 Linette Davenport via groups.io
<littlewing250...> wrote:

> I highly recommend the book _*A Most Remarkable Creature*_ by Jonathan
> Meiburg for insight into caracaras, their relationship to humans, and their
> remarkable intelligence. Apparently they have been highly favored in
> aviaries because of their social behavior and curiosity, and may be one of
> the smartest bird species in the world.
>

> Linette Davenport
>
> Somewhere On the World

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 5:29 pm
From: Chuck & Lillian via groups.io <misclists...>
Paul:
The idea of a Yellow-headed Caracara being someone's pet brings to
mind an old Chas. Addams cartoon concerning people on park benches
feeding birds from paper bags. Just what was in that bag from which
that strange little man was feeding vultures?

yours,
Chuck Almdale
North Hills, Ca.

At 10:32 AM 5/15/2024, <lehman.paul...> via groups.io wrote:
>It was good to read Kimball Garrett's note yesterday on the possible
>origins of the Yellow-headed Caracara in urban Los Angeles.
>Certainly its urban location, relatively tame behavior, and nearness
>to the Port of Los Angeles are reasons for pause, countered by the
>species' northward spread and some vagrant records occurring north
>of the normal range. Don't know the reasoning behind the Florida
>records committee now accepting the current bird there, which has
>been around for perhaps a couple years or so but hadn't generated
>much interest until very recently. Kimball's post mentions the
>unlikelihood of it being a falconers bird, and the possibility of
>ship-assist is more strongly suggested given the location near the
>port. But I think one other option is also quite possible: that it
>was somebody's pet. Caracaras are sort of smart and inquisitive, and
>they look somewhat attractive. And do NOT underestimate the variety
>of somewhat bizarre species that people actually keep illegally as
>pets. One example being the Double-striped Thick-Knee in Yuma back
>in the early 1990s that lots of folks chased, only to learn soon
>thereafter that it had escaped from a local Guatamalan immigrant.
>
>As for why eBird allows "provisional" birds to be "counted" is yet
>another topic of debate, or why this bird has already been placed on
>that list. But such "origin" debates are often the most intractable.
>--Paul Lehman, San Diego

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 11:51 am
From: Linette Davenport via groups.io <littlewing250...>

Date: 5/14/24 9:05 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-Headed Caracara - eBird Protocol (forwarding from LA listserv)
All,
For those of you not on the LA County listserv, Chris Dean sent this message about the Yellow-Headed Caracara: "For those chasing the Yellow-headed Caracara, please use the ebird stakeout hotspot. The status of the bird will be provisional, similar to the prior Yellow-headed Caracara in Humboldt and other possible ship-assisted birds."
Good luck to anyone searching for this bird!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

Back to top

Date: 5/12/24 10:17 am
From: Braxton Landsman via groups.io <balbhl...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] TROPICAL PARULA

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 9:53 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo via groups.io <chucao...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Pelagics - Half Moon Bay - Bodega - Sausalito - Monterey - Morro Bay
Hello all,

I hope you are enjoying the spring migration. The migration offshore is
going strong too at this time of year, and we have our first two pelagic
outings this month. Our first is on Saturday May 11 from Half Moon Bay, and
weather is looking good so far. We are also planning on heading out on May
19 from Bodega Bay. We have three Bodega trips this year.

During summer, many of our trips are to the Farallon Islands. Many from
Sausalito, a few from Half Moon Bay (Pillar Point Harbor). Our first fall
season offshore pelagics are in July, and there are many of them into
October. We have 37 trips scheduled this year, and already one is sold out.

Here are our dates, and links to book the trips.

https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2024.html

Hope to see you out there this season. Saturday's trip will be aiming to go
deep and we are hoping for Hawaiian Petrel, Laysan Albatross and Murphy's
Petrel. We can always hope right!

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 4:02 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Fw: Cruiseship off w. SBA: 8 Hawaiian and 6 Cook's Petrels, 4 Tropicbirds, 2 Laysans
A repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver aboard Princess and with an extra day built into the schedule appears to be using that extra day to lollygag well off western Santa Barbara County today (Weds)! The ship departed Los Angeles late yesterday and started today at dawn well south and west of usual for such repo cruises: immediately north of the San Juan Seamount, and it is slowly heading northwest even farther offshore than usual--some 80+ miles out rather than the more typical 40+ miles. This puts it in deeper water even a bit farther west of the shelf edge than usual, which often means fewer species and numbers, but some interesting species! I've been texting with one of my spies on board and so far today (as of 3PM) there have been reports of totals of 8 Hawaiian Petrels, 6 Cook's Petrels, 4 Red-billed Tropicbirds, and 2 Laysan Albatrosses.

In the future, it would perhaps be good to look for any such cruises on Princess or Holland America with the extra day: three full days (not counting departure afternoon nor arrival morning) at sea rather than the usual two or two-and-a-half. One does NOT want to book such a trip that makes extra ports-of-call, if at all possible.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 7:08 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue Rock Thrush
Thanks to Marty Freeland (see below), I learned that recent taxonomic
changes "lumped" the former Rock Thrush Monticola saxatilis with the Blue
Rock Thrush Monticola solitarius. Therefore both the bird photographed in
Washington and on the Farallon Islands are indeed Blue Rock Thrushes,
probably of the migratory form philippensis. Sorry for the confusion.

Guy McCaskie

"Under current Clements/eBird taxonomy, there is no longer any species
recognized as "Rock Thrush."

The Farallones bird is an example of the taxon currently treated as
subspecies philippensis of the Blue Rock-Thrush. This race is highly
migratory.

Additional information about the systematics, distribution, and movement of
the Blue Rock-Thrush complex is available at (for example) Cornell
University's Birds of the World site
(https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/burthr/cur/introduction;
subscription may be required for access).

Comparison of photographs of the Farallones bird with photographs of other
philippensis Blue Rock-Thrushes may be made here:
https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=blurot2
<https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=blurot2&mediaType=phot
o&sort=rating_rank_desc> &mediaType=photo&sort=rating_rank_desc

Marty Freeland"

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 7:03 pm
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
Aidam,

The photo shows a Rock Thrush, not a Blue Rock Thrush. The Rock Thrush is a long distant migrant and the Blue Rock Thrush is non-migratory.

Guy McCaskie

Date: 4/30/24 4:11 pm
From: Denise and David Hamilton via groups.io <2napabirders...>
For anyone interested, here is an article about the Blue Rock-Thrush that
was found in Oregon

Photographer accidentally snaps rare bird in Oregon: ‘It’s mind-blowing’ |
Birds | The Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/29/amateur-birder-oregon-photographs-rare-bird>

I sure wouldn't mind finding that on a beach!
Denise Hamilton
Napa

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 10:12 PM Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> All,
> The Farallon Islands team has posted their eBird list from today (
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S170456776). The rock-thrush is still there,
> but the Swallow-tailed Gull was not reported - may be worth checking
> beaches in the area (San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin Counties) tomorrow
> in case it is roosting somewhere along the coast. Congratulations to the
> Farallon Islands team on these great finds!
>
> Aidan Sinha
> San Jose

Back to top
Date: 4/28/24 5:39 pm
From: Harold Reeve via groups.io <birder...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus Co.
Hi birders, I am just the messenger regarding a Roseate Spoonbill found in Stanislaus County on the San Joaquin River NWR about 3:20 this afternoon, April 27, by Jodi Smith. The spoonbill was seen from the Wetlands Loop of the Pelican Nature Trail, looking north from the sharp right turn in the trail where it first approaches the marsh about 400 yards (roughly 1/4 mile) northeast of the parking area. It was seen and photographed by Jodi and several other birders between 4:30 and 5:00 pm before it flew slightly north and out of sight. It was also reported about 6:00 pm when it was flushed by a Bald Eagle and flew off towards the northeast. I would love to know if this is the Kern Co. spoonbill, last seen at the Kern Water Bank in mid-March, relocated a few hundred miles north.Harold ReeveModesto

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 7:43 pm
From: Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
There is a CBRC-accepted record of the Roseate Spoonbill from Humboldt County, at two different locations 31 Oct and 7 Nov 2020, so not quite the northernmost record in California.
Tom BensonSecretary, California Bird Records Committee

On Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 07:37:57 PM PDT, Aidan Sinha <aidansinha...> wrote:

All,
Just the messenger here. A Roseate Spoonbill was found by Jody Smith today at the San Joaquin NWR in Stanislaus County. The bird later seen by several others. The directions to the bird, given by Jim Gain, are: "From the main parking lot on Dairy Road, east about 500 yards. At sharp bend to the south. Look north from the corner."
This is the northernmost record for CA and the first for Stanislaus County in eBird. There was also a Roseate Spoonbill seen by many earlier in the year ~200 miles to the south in Kern County - possibly the same bird moving around the Central Valley. Congrats to Jody Smith on this find!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

Back to top

Date: 4/27/24 9:23 am
From: Sammy Cowell via groups.io <samueldavidcowell...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite in Ventura County
Hello,

We just had a Swallow-tailed Kite fly over us off Las Posas Rd. in Santa
Rosa Valley, next to Moorpark in Ventura County heading towards Hill
Canyon. I know there was a sighting in Encino, so may be the same bird.
Anyways, just letting you all know!

Sammy Cowell
Simi Valley

Back to top

Date: 4/26/24 9:35 am
From: Gerry McChesney via groups.io <gerry.mcchesney...>
i'm not on island but the Blue Rock Thrush is still on the island this
morning and has been found on the Farallon webcam
https://www.calacademy.org/webcams/farallones/. Very windy out there today
and camera image is very shaky. BIrd is moving around, too.

Report is that no sightings yet today of the Swallow-tailed Gull. . If
re-found, maybe they can get it on the webcam.

Gerry McChesney
Manager, Farallon Islands National Wildlife Refuge

Date: 4/23/24 3:42 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Kite photos
I've put them temporarily on my Flickr page. I gather Calbirds doesn't
allow attachments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159344319@N03/

Hugh Ranson
SB

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:25 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] One more try...

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:22 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Hmmm
Photos don't appear to be attaching for some reason. They are on the CA
Rare birds Facebook page.

Hugh

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:20 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Kite photos and short video
Apologies. Here they are.

Hugh

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:10 pm
From: Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite
Hugh,

Was there supposed to be a photo attached to this post?

Ken Burton
McKinleyville

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 2:40 PM Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Just the messenger. A friend of a (I believe non-birding) friend
> photographed this bird at 5:03 pm yesterday on the 4600 block of Encino
> Ave., Encino, near Encino Reservoir. I believe it's legit.
>
> Hugh Ranson
> Santa Barbara

Back to top