SanDiegoRegionBirding
Received From Subject
5/17/24 9:05 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea, and Red-billed Tropicbird
5/15/24 10:48 pm Steve Cameron via groups.io <sd-cameron...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Adult & Fledgling Mountain Chickadees in Encinitas
5/15/24 8:10 am David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pelagic Birding San Diego. Saturday May 18th. 2024
5/14/24 9:42 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] new Tennessee warbler, lovey-dovey White-winged Doves
5/12/24 11:06 am Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tennessee Warbler at PLNU
5/11/24 7:42 am Justin Hartsell via groups.io <birdsonghartsell...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Rose-breasted Grosbeak-B& B garden
5/11/24 7:36 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Heard-only grosbeaks
5/11/24 7:25 am Justin Hartsell via groups.io <birdsonghartsell...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Rose-breasted Grosbeak-B& B garden
5/9/24 10:36 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] TRV Laughing Gull and White-winged Dove
5/8/24 3:23 pm Charlene Glacy via groups.io <cglacy...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Western Field Ornithology 2024 Conference: Call for Science Papers
5/8/24 12:04 pm Michelle Reilly via groups.io <reilhag...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Rose-breasted Grosbeak-B& B garden
5/7/24 1:34 pm John Martin via groups.io <xenozoon7...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Passerine migration at Desert View Picnic Area, Laguna Mts.
5/7/24 12:47 pm Susan Smith via groups.io <seiurus...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pair of Mountain Chickadees , May 7, near corner of Wotan Dr. and Melba, Encinitas, CA
5/7/24 11:09 am Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Negative Report: Franklin’s
5/7/24 9:45 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Vagrant California Quail
5/6/24 1:58 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] how many Laughing Gulls???? (and new Yellow-headeds)
5/6/24 9:20 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull and Red Crossbills
5/5/24 6:20 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull from sea watch
5/4/24 2:27 pm Carl Ebeling via groups.io <Carl.Ebeling...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull continues
5/4/24 7:53 am Mike Wittmer via groups.io <bumper1369...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull continues
5/4/24 6:19 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull continues
5/3/24 1:04 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some spring trends, miscellanea, the Franklin's Gull
5/3/24 8:38 am Bill Tweet via groups.io <billtweet229...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull
5/3/24 7:46 am terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull 05/03/2024, La jolla Shores still present!
5/2/24 12:00 pm David Trissel via groups.io <dtrissel...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s gull
5/2/24 8:32 am Nancy Christensen via groups.io <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s gull
5/1/24 12:04 pm Mel Senac via groups.io <melsenac...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull- La Jolla
4/29/24 7:25 pm Max Leibowitz via groups.io <leibowitzmax...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin Gull continues at Penasquitos Lagoon mouth 4/28
4/29/24 6:26 pm Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin Gull continues at Penasquitos Lagoon mouth 4/28
4/29/24 6:01 pm Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin Gull continues at Penasquitos Lagoon mouth 4/28
4/28/24 5:55 pm Susan Smith via groups.io <seiurus...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin Gull continues at Penasquitos Lagoon mouth 4/28
4/28/24 1:15 pm Nancy Stalnaker via groups.io <nestalnaker...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Black-and-white Warbler at Mission Trails Regional Park - Lake Murray Blvd trail 4/28
4/28/24 8:56 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellaneous including Franklin's update
4/28/24 7:54 am Steve Lima via groups.io <napbogu...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's gulls continue at Lower Otay Lake eastern arm
4/27/24 3:09 pm Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull, Lower Otay, 4/27
4/27/24 1:00 pm Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull, Lower Otay, 4/27
4/26/24 6:07 pm Alex Abela via groups.io <thebuzz90...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull -Penasquitos Lagoon
4/26/24 6:01 pm Alex Abela via groups.io <thebuzz90...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull -Penasquitos Lagoon
4/26/24 5:04 pm Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Rancho Ponderosa Withdrawn
4/26/24 4:41 pm Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Rancho Ponderosa
4/26/24 4:23 pm Kenneth Weaver via groups.io <gnatcatcher...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Re: Horse Ranch Creek Open Space
4/26/24 10:45 am Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper at Salt Works
4/26/24 10:09 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper at Salt Works
4/26/24 7:13 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sweetwater Bank Swallow and Elegant Tern
4/26/24 6:53 am dan jehl via groups.io <jehlyfish...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Solitary Sandpiper at Siempre Viva Rd Pond 4/26/2024
4/25/24 1:56 pm Karl Pontau via groups.io <Pontaukw...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Western Grebe Courtship Dance
4/25/24 8:33 am Bruce Barnhart via groups.io <brucebarn...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Horse Ranch Open Space
4/24/24 10:34 pm Aaron Polichar via groups.io <beldingsparrow...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Indigo Bunting returns to Bird and Butterfly Garden
4/23/24 12:00 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Little Stint, etc.
4/23/24 9:45 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea
4/21/24 12:00 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Jacumba: Orchard Oriole, Least Bittern, Harris's Hawks
4/19/24 2:11 pm Justyn Stahl via groups.io <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] celebrating the life of Virginia "Ginger" Johnson
4/19/24 1:55 pm Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper follow-up
4/19/24 12:46 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper follow-up
4/19/24 11:23 am David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego Pelagic Birding trips for 2024
4/19/24 11:21 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] early/rare Semipalmated Sandpiper in TRV
4/18/24 12:29 pm Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
4/18/24 12:17 pm lindsay willrick via groups.io <Lwillrick...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
4/18/24 11:34 am Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV

Back to top
Date: 5/17/24 9:05 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea, and Red-billed Tropicbird
Nothing too exciting going on where I've been onshore the past couple days. The dominant western landbird migrants are what one expects in mid-May and include Western Kingbird and Western Flycatcher and pewee and Swainson's Thrush and Yellow and Wilson's and Townsend's Warblers and Warbling Vireo and Western Tanager, within small trickles of several other species. The least common migrants I've seen were an Olive-sided Flycatcher yesterday and a Hammond's Flycatcher today, the 17th, which is starting to get borderline a little bit late. Still small numbers of Bonapartes and Ring billed Gulls and Red-breasted Nuthatches and waxwings floating around.

Much more interesting was somebody posted online yesterday a couple nice photos of a Red-billed Tropicbird they photographed yesterday, the 16th, just 3 mi off Oceanside.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#16011): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16011
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 10:48 pm
From: Steve Cameron via groups.io <sd-cameron...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Adult & Fledgling Mountain Chickadees in Encinitas
On Tuesday in my yard in Encinitas on Crest Drive near the corner of Melba Road, I observed two Mountain Chickadees in a Coast Live Oak. One was a fledgling, fluttering its wings (begging), and the other was an adult foraging in the tree and delivering food to the fledgling. Both were vocalizing softly, but the fledgling was vocalizing more so than the adult. I was thrilled as I just happened to be out getting the mail. I didn’t even have binoculars, but the adult came within 10 feet of me once. I have been hearing and seeing them more often this year than in years past, but usually just individuals.

My yard is quite near the Wotan/Melba alley where Susan Smith reported a pair of Mountain Chickadees on May 7 th.

eBird Checklist - 14 May 2024 - 1050 Crest Drive, Encinitas, CA - 1 species ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S174770048 )

Cheers!

Steve Cameron
Encinitas

View/Reply Online (#16010): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16010

Date: 5/15/24 8:10 am
From: David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pelagic Birding San Diego. Saturday May 18th. 2024
Hello Birders,
Just a quick reminder that this Saturday is the first of several Buena
Vista Audubon sponsored pelagic birding trips out of Seaforth Landing in
San Diego's Mission Bay.
Those of you signed on to that trip need to be at the landing between 6 and
6:15 a.m. Please check in with the office then gather on the patio.
Parking is free, but can be tight. Fishing is quite good now and I expect
all the landing's boats will be out or departing that morning.
*Most importantly, the landing's parking lot is directly in front of the
building, or you can use the on street parking.* Parking lots to the east
and west of the landing are permit only, *and they may tow your* *vehicle!* You
might plan to be dropped off or carpool. Anyway, be prepared. Street
parking is usually available early, barring some special event.
Looks like we have a nice weather and sea's forecast for the weekend.
Remember even if we have overcast, do sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses. Stay
hydrated. If you do motion meds, take them beforehand. Layered clothing is
always wise, as it can be quite cool in the morning and warm in the
afternoon.

We do have a small number of spaces available. They can be booked at
*www.sdwhale.com
<http://www.sdwhale.com>.* or see trip details at *wwwsandiegopelagics.com
<http://wwwsandiegopelagics.com>.* Lastly if you wake up early Saturday and
have a sudden urge to go. Show up by 6:15 and see me.

I also, might I remind you that the *June** 8th. trip* is coming on
quickly. You may wish to get your spot for that trip.

I hope to see you out there.
Good Birding,

Dave Povey
Dulzura

View/Reply Online (#16009): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16009

Date: 5/14/24 9:42 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] new Tennessee warbler, lovey-dovey White-winged Doves
Tuesday morning, there is a new Tennessee Warbler present, the 3rd this month already, this one moving around the Bird and Butterfly Garden and first spotted by the Beeves. Last seen leaving the garden, but hopefully it will return. Immediately to the north, in the willow trees between the B&B and the Community Gardens (and viewed only from the latter), the fairly long-staying, calling White-winged Dove has now had a second bird join it. We will see if love is in the air and if any nesting is attempted, which would be the first nesting record for coastal San Diego County, although as many of you know, they are spreading slowly but steadily westward and now are found regularly in the Ramona area and San Pasqual Valley, and there's even one or two residents at El Monte County Park near Lakeside.

Also still present today is the Laughing Gull west of Ponyland in the TRV. And a flock of Bonapartes Gulls at the J Street mudflats continues to grow in size and today was up to 29 birds. Dominant landbird migrants today appeared to be Western Flycatcher and Western Kingbird and Western Tanager, with scattered other species in very small numbers as well.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#16008): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16008

Date: 5/12/24 11:06 am
From: Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tennessee Warbler at PLNU
All,

There’s a Tennessee Warbler working the rarity-magnet tree at Point Loma Nazarene, here:
(32.7166801, -117.2494069)

I should probably actually figure out what kind of tree it is… Almost always something odd in it!

Saw the bird very briefly, then it disappeared for 30 mins, and now it’s back and gave a satisfying enough view to ID. So it may be doing a circuit to other trees in the neighborhood.
--
Nick Thorpe
University Heights

View/Reply Online (#16007): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16007

Date: 5/11/24 7:42 am
From: Justin Hartsell via groups.io <birdsonghartsell...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Rose-breasted Grosbeak-B& B garden
Visual of the grosbeak was just attained by another birder a minute ago.

Justin

View/Reply Online (#16006): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16006

Date: 5/11/24 7:36 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Heard-only grosbeaks
There have been a number of reports the last 2 or 3 days of the known male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the Bird and Butterfly Garden but some of which are of heard only. There are, of course allso multiple Black-headed grosbeaks singing there, and Merlin does a poor job of differentiating the two, sometimes identifying a singing Black-headed as the Rose-breasted and sometimes going back and forth on the same song calling it Black-headed one time and Rose breasted the next. So please for all reports of this bird, please get a visual as well.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#16005): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16005

Date: 5/11/24 7:25 am
From: Justin Hartsell via groups.io <birdsonghartsell...>

View/Reply Online (#16004): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16004

Date: 5/9/24 10:36 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] TRV Laughing Gull and White-winged Dove
Thursday morning, a White-winged Dove was perched along the southern edge of the Community Gardens in the TRV. The first-cycle Laughing Gull first found on Monday continues today in the sewage and garbage overflow area west of Ponyland, west of Hollister. Also, there are a continuing 22 immature Ring billed Gulls there, which is a very high count for the second week in May. Earlier in the morning at J Street there were 600 California and one Ring-billed Gull, which is a more typical ratio at this time of year!

There has been an okay number of landbird migrants around the last several days, through today, including a fair number of Swainsons thrushes, still a Cassins Vireo, and reasonable numbers of tanagers and grosbeaks and Wilson's Warblers and Western Flycatchers and W. Kingbirds. The weak link in these numbers seems to be a number of warblers which are definitely in unexceptional numbers.

Yesterday at Jacumba, in addition to the continuing pair of Harris's Hawks, there was a migrant Green tailed towhee and several getting-late Brewer's Sparrows. The usual Lesser nighthawk and pair of Scots Orioles and numbers of Lawrence's goldfinches. But the small number of Tricolored Blackbirds are finishing nesting and are feeding the last of the fledglings and will likely disappear soon.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#16003): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16003

Date: 5/8/24 3:23 pm
From: Charlene Glacy via groups.io <cglacy...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Western Field Ornithology 2024 Conference: Call for Science Papers

Call for Papers for the 48th Annual Conference of Western Field Ornithologists

Abstracts are being accepted for scientific presentations at the 48th Annual Conference ofWestern Field Ornithologists, to be held 9–13 October 2024. This year’s convention will take place at The Dana on Mission Bay in San Diego, California. Science sessions arealways one of the highlights of WFO’s conferences, and this year’s sessions will be held on the afternoons of 11 and 12 October (Friday and Saturday).

Oral presentations should reflect original research or summarize existing unpublished information, and should be presented in a manner that will interest both serious amateur and professional field ornithologists. All researchers, including students, are encouraged to present.

Talks relating to the following themes are solicited:

•Status, distribution, migration, and population dynamics of birds

•Systematics and biogeography of birds

•Ecology, behavior, and evolution of birds

•New information on avian field identification problems

•Science-based conservation and management of birds

•Techniques for field study of birds, including censusing, monitoring, and other methods; and results of studies applying such techniques

Research described should apply to birds of the WFO region: western North America (from Alaska through Mexico, and the Great Plains to the Pacific coast) and the eastern Pacific Ocean. All talks should identify study objectives, describe methods and data analysis, present results, discuss the significance of the research, and propose future research directions. Oral presentations will be allotted 15 minutes, including 3 minutes for questions and discussion.We expect to have sufficient time in the schedule for 15 presentations.

Please submit an abstract of your presentation electronically to Dan Ruthrauff <atdruthrauff...> no later than 15 August 2024, following this format (all in Times New Roman, 10-point font):

YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME1 and (if applicable) CO-AUTHOR FIRST NAME, CO-AUTHOR LAST NAME2 [all caps].Title of your talk. 1Your affiliation and/or sponsoring organization(s), if any, complete mailing address;e-mail address [all in italics]. 2Co-author affiliation and/or sponsoring organization(s), if different, complete mailing address, if different;e-mail address [all in italics].

Brief (300-word maximum) summary of the objectives, methods, results, significance, and broader applicability of your study (Times, 10-point type).

Use superscripts only if coauthors have different contact information. Also, please include a brief (60-word maximum) bio for the presenting author.Presenters need not be members of WFO, but they must register for the conference (at least for one day).

Student presenters: the WFO is accepting applications for scholarships for the conference. More information on scholarships and research grants, and how to apply, can be found athttps://westernfieldornithologists.org/about/students/scholarships/.
Contact Dan Ruthrauff with any questions, and please visit the WFO website athttps://westernfieldornithologists.org/conference/for more information about the conference.

Char Glacy
San Diego, California
<cglacy...>

View/Reply Online (#16002): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16002

Date: 5/8/24 12:04 pm
From: Michelle Reilly via groups.io <reilhag...>

View/Reply Online (#16001): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16001

Date: 5/7/24 1:34 pm
From: John Martin via groups.io <xenozoon7...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Passerine migration at Desert View Picnic Area, Laguna Mts.
Had a smokin' hour of birding at Desert View Picnic Area this morning. In
an hour's stationary count, from about 08:00-09:00, I had 222 migrant
passerines. Challenging views, as most birds came up the slope from the
east, hit the pine forest about canopy level, and continued flying west
through the pine canopy, out of view. Mostly 30-100 m away. Sunny, high
50s, steady breeze from the west. This is not the first time I've seen a
significant flight of passerine migrants at Desert View PA, but I've never
birded there more than once in a given spring migration.

eBird Checklist - 7 May 2024 - Laguna Mtns.--Desert View Picnic Grounds -
28 species (+4 other taxa) <https://ebird.org/checklist/S172626130>

Also had a late Swainson's Hawk in the Lagunas later this morning.

John Martin

View/Reply Online (#16000): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/16000

Date: 5/7/24 12:47 pm
From: Susan Smith via groups.io <seiurus...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pair of Mountain Chickadees , May 7, near corner of Wotan Dr. and Melba, Encinitas, CA
This morning, after some shopping in Encinitas, I stopped by the Wotan/Melba alley (Encinitas Christmas count spot)  to do a quick check of that area. As I was leaving,  was surprised to see  a pair of Mountain Chickadees fly into a large cedar-like tree with gnarly trunks (33.039863, -117.265131 ) at the base of the Wotan alley here.  We have seen these  pretty regularly here during our winter Christmas Counts (first reported by Elizabeth Copper at this particular location, I think in Dec 2022).    But this seems WAY late for wintering birds to still be here. Could it be these may be one of the few low altitude MOCHs reported as possibly breeding along the coast? Maybe they are the same pair Steve Cameron reported on his property  (not too far away  from his Crest Drive property, as the chickadee flies) in June 2022 and again in July 23? After a few vocalizations, the chickadees took off for a larger pine on private property about 40-50 m to the ENE, on the north side of Melba.

eBird list:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S172658267
Susan Smith Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA
<seiurus...>

View/Reply Online (#15999): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15999

Date: 5/7/24 11:09 am
From: Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Negative Report: Franklin’s
A check of La Jolla Shores today (5/7) from the Marine Room to Scripps Pier produced 0 Franklin’s and 1 Bonaparte’s Gull. Maybe our friend has moved on, or could be on some other beach nearby.
--
Nick Thorpe
University Heights

View/Reply Online (#15998): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15998

Date: 5/7/24 9:45 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Vagrant California Quail
California Quail are not exactly known for their vagrancy wandering, but there's currently a calling male sitting up on the roof of a house at the southwest corner of Dudley and Silvergate in residential Point Loma. While there is always the chance that a wayward chicken such as this is an escapee...... I'd say the chances favor it being a wild bird. Whether it's a vagabond from "merely" three miles away at Cabrillo National Monument or it's come from farther afield is anyone's guess. There are other records of quail quite a ways outside of normal range over the past 10 years or more, including records from Delta Beach on the Silver Strand and from Dairy Mart, for example.
This morning was another mediocre to so-so day of migrants where I've been along the immediate coast. The total of migrants at Mount Soledad In 2 hours was only 67.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15997): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15997

Date: 5/6/24 1:58 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] how many Laughing Gulls???? (and new Yellow-headeds)
It has not only been a good spring for Franklin's and Bonaparte's Gulls, but it has also been a good (record high) year so far for Laughing Gulls. A presumed new Laughing was found today (Monday) in the Tijuana River Valley in the sewage flood overflow area where the mid-April Semipalmated Sandpiper was present to the west of Hollister Avenue near "PonyLand." This bird is in the most immature plumage of all the birds seen over the past few months, with a dark cowl, darkish wash to breast, extensive brownish to the wing coverts, and a bold, black, complete tail-band. The first Laughing Gull this year was the long-staying bird seen by many birders bordering the sod farm between 25 Jan-6 Apr, which had a somewhat similar head pattern (cowl) to today's bird but had gray wing coverts and only a few partial black feathers remaining in the tail. A Laughing present at the Tijuana River mouth area from 11 Apr-3 May has been treated by many as being this same bird from the sod farm, but it is NOT. It is yet a new bird with a 2/3-3/4 dark hood, a clean white tail, and a clean white breast. But during this same period there was another, a one-day bird--28 Apr--at the Tijuana River mouth that did match the sod farm bird, with a grayer breast than the older looking bird also at that site. (A similar bird to the original sod farm individual was also seen at the salt works on 25 Feb.) And if this wasn't all complicated enough, between 12-17 Feb there were actually TWO birds seen simultaneously at the sod farm area, the second bird being a youngster that looks similar to the bird found today--but if the same bird then it would have been missed for 2-1/2 months!

And we're not done yet..... Other individuals were seen at the San Diego River mouth on 10 Feb, at San Elijo Lagoon on 6 Mar which then may or may not have been the same individual then seen the following day at Batiquitos Lagoon on 7 Mar, with also a bird at Batiquitos on 23 Apr which looked similar but would have needed to have gone under the radar for 1-1/2 months.

So, the January-May total of Laughing Gulls in the county is, I think, somewhere between five and nine individuals--a new record. My vote is for a total of SEVEN, given the various plumages, date-spans, and long time periods of missing birds.

And if you sick and tired of Laughing Gulls, then I'll mention that there were two new Yellow-headed Blackbirds today also west of Hollister where today's Laughing Gull was.

--Paul Lehman & Bill M. Tweit, San Diego/Olympia

View/Reply Online (#15996): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15996

Date: 5/6/24 9:20 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull and Red Crossbills
A Monday morning-flight check of Mount Soledad was full of optimism given the clear skies and gentle Northeast breeze, but the results were very disappointing with only about 40 migrants counted. The most numerous species were Townsend's and Hermit Warblers, we also had an uncommon migrant Blue Grosbeak, but the clear highlight was the flock of approximately five calling Red Crossbills that went over. My friend Bill got a recording of them with his phone and we'll see if we can determine what "type" they were.
In the "no surprise" category, the Franklin's Gull continues at La Jolla Shores this morning, as does the indigo Bunting in the Bird & Butterfly Garden general area.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15995): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15995

Date: 5/5/24 6:20 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull from sea watch
I am at Seawatch In La Jolla early Sunday morning. Hoping the increasing wind brings something in. The front just cleared and the rain has stopped for the day and the wind is picking up. And with my scope at high power, I can actually make out the Franklin's Gull working the beach over at La Jolla Shores. So if anybody still needs Franklin's Gull for their seawatch list, here's your chance! There's also a tattler or two at SeaWatch, as there has been for the past couple days.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15994): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15994

Date: 5/4/24 2:27 pm
From: Carl Ebeling via groups.io <Carl.Ebeling...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull continues
The summer plumage FRANKLIN'S GULL (FRGU) and the immature BONAPARTE'S GULL
(BOGU) were both present and easily viewed at La Jolla Shores beach this
morning by a number of birders.

Between 7 am and 11 am, FRGU ranged as far north as the SIO pier, but spent
the majority of its time foraging between lifeguard towers 31 and 33.

The BOGU was observed several times during the morning, much along the same
length of beach as the FRGU.

Both individuals were present when I left around 11:15 am.

Note (I) that the FRGU appears to be easily flushed by dogs. Note (II)
that dogs are not allowed on the beach after 9 am.

Bird early and bird often,

Carl Ebeling
South Mission Hills/San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15993): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15993

Date: 5/4/24 7:53 am
From: Mike Wittmer via groups.io <bumper1369...>
The Franklin Gull AND a Bonaparte’s Gull were North of tower 33 and then flew South of 31. It’s moving a lot because the beach is getting really busy with pets and people

Mike Wittmer
Escondido

View/Reply Online (#15992): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15992

Date: 5/4/24 6:19 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Drum roll please. It will come as a huge surprise that the pet Franklin's Gull continues at La Jolla Shores early Saturday morning, it having arrived at 5:55 a.m., working the entire stretch of beach between lifeguard stations 33 and 31.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15991): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15991

Date: 5/3/24 1:04 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some spring trends, miscellanea, the Franklin's Gull
My impressions of Spring 2024 to date are that landbird migrant numbers in the county--whether coastal or inland--are somewhere between mediocre and so-so, with no truly good days. The most numerous migrant as of late has been Western Tanager, with fairly good numbers of them at many sites. Also OK for Black-headed Grosbeaks and Lazuli Buntings, but most warblers and vireos seem below average. It was a better than average April for both Rufous Hummingbird and Hammond's Flycatcher. Small to moderate numbers of Red-breasted Nuthatches and Pine Siskins are still present at a fair number of sites. The weather has been poor virtually all spring so far for there to be a good morning flight at Mount Soledad.

The current celebrity Franklin's Gull at La Jolla Shores is just one of a spring-record SEVEN birds seen since mid-April. The typical spring sees just one bird annually, and most spring birds remain only an hour or so, thus this long-staying bird in n. La Jolla is atypical--but seems very content to eat lots of small sand crabs. it is likely that this bird was first found by Alex Abela on 26 April at Los Penasquitos and which bopped around back and forth between there and Blacks Beach and n. La Jolla for several days before finally settling in at the latter site. There is even a slight chance it is the same bird first seen at Los Penasquitos way back on 15 April by Shougin Huo--but that would be a REALLY long stay if true. Someone might compare all the many photos of these birds which show the spread wing and compare exact primary patterns, as there is individual variation possible, and TWO-year-old Franklin's are missing most of the white in the primaries but otherwise look mostly like an adult.

In addition to it being a very good spring for Franklin's Gulls, there seem to have been more than the usual number of Bonaparte's Gulls for recent years at many sites, and there also seem to be more than the usual number of lingering immature Ring-billed Gulls this year.

Today at Jacumba, the pair of Harris's Hawks continue, a wayward Acorn Woodpecker was east of normal, and there were single getting-slightly-late Hermit Thrush and Brewer's Sparrow.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15990): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15990

Date: 5/3/24 8:38 am
From: Bill Tweet via groups.io <billtweet229...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull
The Franklin’s Gull is currently in the same location as described. Between life guard towers 31 & 33 flying and eating. 8:30am. Thanks to finder.

View/Reply Online (#15989): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15989

Date: 5/3/24 7:46 am
From: terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull 05/03/2024, La jolla Shores still present!
Continuing bird near lifeguard station 31. Initially found it by 33. Covering that whole area because it is flushed but stay along the shoreline.

Terry Hurst
Santee

View/Reply Online (#15988): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15988

Date: 5/2/24 12:00 pm
From: David Trissel via groups.io <dtrissel...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s gull
Still present straight out from lifeguard tower 32 at 12:00.

David Trissel
San Diego, CA

View/Reply Online (#15987): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15987

Date: 5/2/24 8:32 am
From: Nancy Christensen via groups.io <nancy.r.christensen...>

View/Reply Online (#15986): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15986

Date: 5/1/24 12:04 pm
From: Mel Senac via groups.io <melsenac...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull- La Jolla
The continuing Franklin‘s Gull is on the beach at La Jolla Shores Park in front of lifeguard tower 32. Conveniently present in front of the parking lot. Unconcerned with people walking by. Thanks to Rob Faber who reported the bird on eBird. I happened to be in La Jolla so I drove over to the shores and it was one of the first birds I saw. Still here at 12:02 PM.
Mel Senac
San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15985): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15985

Date: 4/29/24 7:25 pm
From: Max Leibowitz via groups.io <leibowitzmax...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin Gull continues at Penasquitos Lagoon mouth 4/28

Back to top
Date: 4/29/24 6:26 pm
From: Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...>
Flew south towards Scripps Pier

View/Reply Online (#15983): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15983

Date: 4/29/24 6:01 pm
From: Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...>

View/Reply Online (#15982): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15982

Date: 4/28/24 5:55 pm
From: Susan Smith via groups.io <seiurus...>

View/Reply Online (#15981): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15981

Date: 4/28/24 1:15 pm
From: Nancy Stalnaker via groups.io <nestalnaker...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Black-and-white Warbler at Mission Trails Regional Park - Lake Murray Blvd trail 4/28
Mesa Rd, in blooming tree crawling with warblers and a vireo.

In addition, fun to see 8 Phainopepla moving thru.

checklist with coordinates here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170811881

Nancy Stalnaker
San Diego (San Carlos)

View/Reply Online (#15980): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15980

Date: 4/28/24 8:56 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellaneous including Franklin's update
Around 8:30 a.m. Sunday morning, presumably the same lingering Franklins Gull that had been in the east arm of Lower Otay Lake is now swimming around with Bonapartes in the north arm as viewed from along Wueste Road. Clearly the birds move around various parts of the lake. Earlier this morning there's a calling Ridgways Rail at the top end of Sweetwater Reservoir, which I believe is the first record for Sweetwater and adds another new inland locale for this species. A seawatch yesterday at La Jolla was pretty uneventful though there were moderate numbers of Sooty Shearwaters feeding close to shore early on.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15979): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15979

Date: 4/28/24 7:54 am
From: Steve Lima via groups.io <napbogu...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's gulls continue at Lower Otay Lake eastern arm
At least one adult, but there could be one or two more. More or less at the
same place seen yesterday by Matt S. and several others, on the eastern arm
of the lake, viewable from overlooks/pullouts along Otay Lakes Rd. The one
verified adult today has been cruising back and forth over the eastern arm.
Note also that there are about 15 Bonaparte's Gulls present.

Steve Lima
Rancho Bernardo

View/Reply Online (#15978): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15978

Date: 4/27/24 3:09 pm
From: Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull, Lower Otay, 4/27
Up to four FRGU are now present in full alternate plumage. There are a few
BOGU with and without black hoods too.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/h7CFjDZDtyEsE4Jb9

Matt Sadowski

View/Reply Online (#15977): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15977

Date: 4/27/24 1:00 pm
From: Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...>

View/Reply Online (#15976): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15976

Date: 4/26/24 6:07 pm
From: Alex Abela via groups.io <thebuzz90...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin’s Gull -Penasquitos Lagoon
It flew just after I sent the message, and I haven’t relocated it.

Alex

View/Reply Online (#15975): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15975

Date: 4/26/24 6:01 pm
From: Alex Abela via groups.io <thebuzz90...>

View/Reply Online (#15974): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15974

Date: 4/26/24 5:04 pm
From: Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Rancho Ponderosa Withdrawn
Hi All,

Apologies, I was too hasty and it's an Orange-crowned. Many apologies.

-Ted Keyel

View/Reply Online (#15973): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15973

Date: 4/26/24 4:41 pm
From: Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Rancho Ponderosa

View/Reply Online (#15972): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15972

Date: 4/26/24 4:23 pm
From: Kenneth Weaver via groups.io <gnatcatcher...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Re: Horse Ranch Creek Open Space

The Horse Ranch Creek Open Space can be divided into two sections due

 to very thick vegetation and flooded areas separating a northern section

from a southern section.

The southern section may be accessed via Pankey Road (first left turn

past I-15 east bound).  Parking is available along the dirt road that leads to

the model airplane fields.  Don’t block the gate to these fields.  Another

access point is from Pankey Place (not “Road”) where parking is available

at Willow Grove Park (generally open at 8:00 a.m.).  Pankey Place is

accessed from Horse Ranch Creek Road (first and second left turns)

northbound from Hwy. 76.  Earlier parking may be available on Pankey

Place, but some work along the road may occur.  These spots provide

walk-in entry to dirt roads leading to open fields and riparian areas.

The northern section is more easily accessed by parking at Horse Creek

Ridge County Park (gate typically open at 8:00 a.m.)  The park is located

northeast of the intersection of Golden Palomino Trail and Horse Ranch

Creek Road.  Walk south a quarter mile along Horse Ranch Creek Road.

Watch for a dirt road which veers off to right opposite Andalusian Trail This

will lead to riparian woodlands and open fields.  I don’t advise parking at

Palomar College (which is closer) unless you have a parking permit.

Ken Weaver

Fallbrook
<gnatcatcher...>

View/Reply Online (#15971): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15971

Date: 4/26/24 10:45 am
From: Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper at Salt Works
Pond numbers refresher:
Pond 20: E of 13th, 32.593293, -117.100935
Pond 22: At 13th, 32.591178, -117.105366
Pond 23: At 10th, 32.592055, -117.111224
Pond 10: N of 7th, 32.594007, -117.118680
Pond 10A: SW of 7th, 32.590355, -117.120676
Pond 11: SE of Hwy 75 parking, 32.599671, -117.119364
Emory Cove mudflats: N of Hwy 75 parking, 32.607017, -117.126891

Matt Sadowski

View/Reply Online (#15970): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15970

Date: 4/26/24 10:09 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>

View/Reply Online (#15969): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15969

Date: 4/26/24 7:13 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sweetwater Bank Swallow and Elegant Tern
Friday morning, given the weather it's no big surprise that there is a Bank Swallow flying around the bottom end of Sweetwater Reservoir in the cove near the secondary dam, where one drives by on the way to the fisherman's parking lot, which is an annual hotspot for this species. Down near the main dam there is a rare inland Elegant Tern with a bunch of Forsters.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15968): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15968

Date: 4/26/24 6:53 am
From: dan jehl via groups.io <jehlyfish...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Solitary Sandpiper at Siempre Viva Rd Pond 4/26/2024
This morning at dawn there was a Solitary Sandpiper feeding near the south edge of the pond located at the west end of Siempre Viva Rd. in Otay Mesa. The Yellow-headed Blackbirds continue early each day, today they flew off to feed about 6:10.

Dan Jehl
San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15967): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15967

Date: 4/25/24 1:56 pm
From: Karl Pontau via groups.io <Pontaukw...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Western Grebe Courtship Dance
 Hi, I am new to this site. Just wanted to report a sighting because I thought it was great. I don’t know how rare it is to see this. I saw them dancing yesterday, April 24, at Lower Otay Lake, at the northern tip of the boat launch parking lot. I identified the species using the Merlin Sound ID. Fascinating!
Karl Pontau Chula Vista

View/Reply Online (#15966): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15966

Date: 4/25/24 8:33 am
From: Bruce Barnhart via groups.io <brucebarn...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Horse Ranch Open Space
I saw a recent checklist by Kenneth Weaver at Horse Creek Ranch.  I have tried a few times to access the open space but have difficulty finding a trail and or parking in the area.
There are fences and no trespassing signs in areas I have tried.
It looks like a fantastic sight to keep an eye on but how do I get into it?
Thanks in advance.

View/Reply Online (#15965): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15965

Date: 4/24/24 10:34 pm
From: Aaron Polichar via groups.io <beldingsparrow...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Indigo Bunting returns to Bird and Butterfly Garden
Hi all,
One Wednesday, April 24, around 4:30 PM I heard some calls and song that I thought might be an Indigo Bunting, and Merlin identified them as such as well. It was around the shrubs near the drip at the Bird and Butterfly Garden in the Tijuana River Valley. I eventually saw the bird, but my camera battery was dead, so I got a crude photo with the 10x camera on my phone. I didn't see the Plumbeous Vireo. Lots of warblers around, including my first Black-throated Gray and Hermit Warblers for the year, and at least one Vaux's Swift.
Aaron PolicharScripps Ranch, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15964): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15964

Date: 4/23/24 12:00 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Little Stint, etc.
The Little Stint appeared this morning on "stint island" at 10:05 AM, and as usual it tended to frequent the inside (left side) of the island, at and just before the bend/elbow. It is now in alternate plumage, but it is not the brightest bird in the world and is assumed to be a female. It has now appeared most recent days sometime between about 9:45-1:00. It should be departing any day now, so if you wish to see it, go sooner than later! And overcast days are best so that there is minimal heat distortion.

Visiting birders today have reported the continuing wintering Plumbeous Vireo at the B&B and the continuing wintering Hepatic Tanager in Wing Street Canyon, the latter setting a new late date for a wintering bird by several days.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15963): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15963

Date: 4/23/24 9:45 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea
Yesterday, the 22nd, there was a rare inland Elegant Tern and continuing Bald Eagle at Sweetwater Reservoir and a getting late Merlin at the main Dairy Mart pond. Today, the 23rd, the male Wood Duck continues at the sod farm puddle, a Cattle Egret was west of Hollister Avenue, and the first of season Common Tern is at Pond 23, the stint Island pond, at the salt works. Interestingly, it's a 1-year-old bird which typically are not the first Commons to arrive each season, but they normally come later.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15962): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15962

Date: 4/21/24 12:00 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Jacumba: Orchard Oriole, Least Bittern, Harris's Hawks
A Sunday early-morning visit to Jacumba was highlighted by a female Orchard Oriole, which given the location must be a spring migrant. In contrast, the multiple birds seen recently (through today) in coastal San Diego County are all much more likely to be lingering wintering birds--which often remain this late. A Least Bittern calling from the cattails at the pond at dawn is presumably the same individual noted there on 16 March--a local first. No surprise, the pair of Harris's Hawks continues. A so-so number of migrants overall, with Nashville Warbler being the most numerous. Other species typical of the site included a slightly late Vesper Sparrow (though not unusual well into April here), Scott's Oriole, Lesser Nighthawk, the usual couple pairs of Cassin's Kingbirds, and plenty of Lawrence's Goldfinches. The Tricolored Blackbird colony at the pond appears much reduced in size from earlier visits, with only about 15 birds visible.

On the way back, a quick stop at the feeders in Pine Valley produced 30 continuing Pine Siskins, a species still present at several feeder sites in the county.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15961): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15961

Date: 4/19/24 2:11 pm
From: Justyn Stahl via groups.io <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] celebrating the life of Virginia "Ginger" Johnson
The family has asked that I pass along an invitation to a celebration of
life for Ginger Johnson that will be held on May 25th.

Ginger passed away on March 4th at the age of 93.
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/san-diego-ca/virginia-johnson-11696186

Others who knew her better can surely speak to her legacy, but I knew
her through her years of coverage of the Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo
during the San Diego CBC. Ginger was a founding member of Western Field
Ornithologists (then California Field Ornithologists) in 1970, served as an
editor of *Western Birds*, and drew the sketch of the Sabine's Gull that
serves as the WFO logo and graces the cover of each issue of *Western Birds*.
In 2010, WFO awarded her the Alan M. Craig award for exceptional service to
the organization.
https://archive.westernfieldornithologists.org/archive/V41/WBirds-V41(4)-Johnson_Award.pdf

A celebration of life will be held on* May 25th, 1:00–4:00pm* at:

Casa Guadalajara Restaurant
4105 Taylor St
Old Town, San Diego, CA

Please RSVP with Annie Marsch <amm249232019...>
For convenience, I've cc'd Annie here.

My condolences to those who knew her personally.

Justyn Stahl
North Park

View/Reply Online (#15960): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15960

Date: 4/19/24 1:55 pm
From: Nick Thorpe via groups.io <nick.thorpe49...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper follow-up
Semipalm was still present as of 1:45ish. For anyone coming, the Pony Land operators asked us to park on the street (Hollister) and walk in on the dirt road. Don’t park on the dirt road.
--
Nick Thorpe
University Heights

View/Reply Online (#15959): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15959

Date: 4/19/24 12:46 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
As of 12:15 PM, the Semipalmated Sandpiper in the Tijuana River Valley was still present. See earlier posts for all the details. I erred when I said it was about the third spring record in the county. It is actually the fifth spring record, all since 2010. Also wanted to mention that the flooded area not far away on the sod farm still hold lots of birds and was especially good for plenty of shorebirds this morning, although I couldn't find anything rare. Definitely worth carefully checking from the edge of Dairy Mart Road for the next number of days until it dries out too much. The sporadic male Wood Duck was still present today, but it often disappears to nearby unknown water bodies for long periods of time.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15958): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15958

Date: 4/19/24 11:23 am
From: David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego Pelagic Birding trips for 2024
Hello fellow Birders,
San Diego Pelagics is excited to present its 2024 Birding Pelagic Trips.
These are sponsored by Buena Vista Audubon.
Some of you have already signed on one or more of our 2024 trips. Thank you.
We're less than a month away from the first trip on *Saturday, May 18th*.
That trip should correspond with the peak of seabird spring migration, and
give us a chance for some of the hold over wintering birds. Sooty
Shearwater, Black Storm-Petrel, and Elegant Terns will all be "in town". We
should get looks at the resident soon to be split (?) Brown Booby.
Sabine's gulls, jaegers and terns should be in high plumage. We should have
good numbers of phalaropes.
We even occasionally pick a landbird migrant or two.
The second trip will be on *Saturday,* *June 8th*.
May and June are nearing the end of Scripps's Murrelets stay locally, and
at this season they may even have a chick in tow. The June trip might pick
up the first Craveri's Murrelet of the season. The last few years Ashy
Storm-Petrel have been somewhat regular on the May and June trips. Spring
trips hold the possibility for a local albatross though rare inside the
Channel Islands. Then we also hope for Cook's Petrel. Certainly rare in
most years, but there is a slightly better chance on the June and July
trips ). Other spring trips have turned up S.P. Skua, Flesh-footed
Shearwater, and even a Red-billed Tropicbird. All are rare. Then one can
dream of other rarities. I am superstitious to name the possibilities, but
every trip holds the chance of "striking gold". Always an adventure out
there. Rarities are called that for good reason, but, as Terry Hunefeld
would say " you can't see one while sitting on the couch at home".
Our focus will be birds, but the spring trips also have produced some nice
looks and the larger whale species, such as Blue and Fin Whales. Several
species of dolphin are hard to avoid.

I hope you'll join us. All trips are aboard the 80ft. Legacy out of
Seaforth Sportfishing Landing in Mission Bay. These trips are generally
about 10 - 11 hours and all attempts will be made to return to the dock no
later than the stated return time of 6 p.m. We continue to hold the price
at last year's $160
To see the full schedule, trip details, directions, expected and hope for
species, and past trips reports, see the *www.sandiegopelagics.com
<http://www.sandiegopelagics.com>*. website. Then to book a trip you can
connect from that website or go directly to *www.sdwhale.com
<http://www.sdwhale.com>.* or lastly you can call the Seaforth Landing at *619
224-3383* during regular business hours Pacific Daylight savings Time.
Just as a heads up note, fall trips book up early.

Trip dates;
*May 18, 2024*
*June 8, 2024*
*July 14, 2024*
August 3, 2024
August 4, 2024
August 25, 2024
Sept. 7, 2024
Sept. 8, 2024
Sept. 28, 2024

Good Birding to you,
Dave Povey
Dulzura

View/Reply Online (#15957): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15957

Date: 4/19/24 11:21 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] early/rare Semipalmated Sandpiper in TRV
A couple hours ago I found a breeding Plumaged semipalmated Sandpiper in the Tijuana River Valley at the spot Andrew Newmark posted about yesterday. An overflow sewage area west of Hollister Avenue and north of Monument. The easiest way to get there is to turn West off Hollister along the south edge of the Ponyland horse stable area that's there on the west side of Hollister, just a little north of monument, and go west on the dirt road and park right by the sign that says the trail straight ahead of you is closed due to flooding, which it isn't. And you walk due West on that wide County parks path and you end up at the northeast corner of that partly flooded disgusting area full of trash. Problem is you're a good ways from the bird. So you need a good scope and you need to know how to identify an alternate Semi amongst a bunch of Westerns and Leasts had a pretty good distance. There are about 50 peep and some semi plovers and a few Bonapartes gulls and a few other miscellaneous waterbirds there. Best way to pick the bird out is it shows no rufous on the back or wing coverts, but is just a gray brown with some blacker feather centers, and then there is a blush of warm color on the crown, but best of all is the shorter bill with a slightly thicker base that's straight, and especially the darker and more extensively Dark auriculars are a very good character to look for.
There are only a couple previous County records of spring Semi Sandpipers, and this is the earliest, and it is certainly one of the earliest spring dates in California.
Right as I was leaving several people showed up including Andrew Newmark and Matt Sadowski who were taking photos of the bird when I left. So there will be photos to look at in eBird reports later today.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15956): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15956

Date: 4/18/24 12:29 pm
From: Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
Terrifying. The ground around the pin was thankfully nice and firm but if
you visit the area maybe stick to scoping from the berms (the elevated view
is nicer anyway) if you're not looking to have an Indiana Jones-esque
surprise!

Andrew Newmark
Chula Vista, CA

View/Reply Online (#15955): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15955