CountyBirders
Received From Subject
5/2/24 4:27 pm Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...> [countybirders] Loon Hat-trick off S. Lake Tahoe this morning (incl. Yellow-billed)
4/26/24 10:48 am Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...> Re: [countybirders] [LakeTahoeBirds] Vermillion Flycatcher, Cove East, S. Lake Tahoe, El Dorado, 4/25
4/25/24 8:35 pm Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...> [countybirders] Vermillion Flycatcher, Cove East, S. Lake Tahoe, El Dorado, 4/25

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 4:27 pm
From: Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...>
Subject: [countybirders] Loon Hat-trick off S. Lake Tahoe this morning (incl. Yellow-billed)
Geoff Hanlon and Jared Manninen found three species of loon from Geoff’s boat this morning, all in breeding plumage, including the best-documented Yellow-billed Tahoe’s ever seen! That bird was in about 100’ of water a few miles off the Camp Richardson pier. There’s a really dramatic shelf underwater near there, and if you’ve scanned off that pier you know that loons are often on the very far edge of visibility a bit left of straight out from the pier. That’s where this bird was, hanging out with a Common.

A Pacific has been hanging out for about a week more or less straight off Regan Beach, along that shelf from the sandy shallows where it drops from ~ 10’-15’ (right now) to maybe 30'-50’.

Geoff and I went out mid-day in hopes of refinding, as did another boat with Bob and Jenny Sweatt, Jennifer Scott, and Jeff Miller, but nobody was able to relocate the Yellow-billed. In fact, the other boat saw a large loon flying east overhead, and that was probably it, but it’s unknown if the bird was leaving the basin or just getting out of the relatively steady boat traffic from the Tahoe Keys to and from Emerald Bay. Between both boats we covered A LOT of territory, thoroughly, and twice. Hopefully it was just relocating for the afternoon and will return to that fishing spot in the morning. Best chances for seeing from land are surely off the Camp Rich pier!

We also found a Common diving at about 800’ depth, way out in the middle of things - hunting mysis shrimp in the middle of the water column perhaps?

One of Jared’s Yellow-billed photos here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/212960668
And one of the Pacific, here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/212960667

Will Richardson
Truckee, CA

____________________
T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Tahoe Institute for Natural Science
530.412.2792
www.tinsweb.org

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 10:48 am
From: Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...>
Subject: Re: [countybirders] [LakeTahoeBirds] Vermillion Flycatcher, Cove East, S. Lake Tahoe, El Dorado, 4/25
The Vermilion Flycatcher was present again this morning, Friday 4/26. First picked up by Adam Panto and seen by many until heavier snows motivated a mass emigration of birders to work or at least back their cars. I’m not sure what time Adam first found it, but it was showing pretty well, off and on, from around 6:40 to roughly 9. It was moving around quite a bit, so would disappear for 10-20 minutes at a time before reappearing, anywhere between the northernmost pond and the even the edge of the Marina canal. Perhaps due to the inclement weather, it was foraging and perching quite low, but every now and then it would pop up to a higher perch (irrigation sprinkler heads, sign, higher perches in veg, the fence along the path once). The best, closest, and most consistent spot for it was the western edge of the second/middle pond, about here: 38.939247, -120.004371.

I suspect this is a second-year female overshoot.

A Franklin’s Gull flew over at some point as well, surely the same bird reported by Jared Maninen and Geoff Hanlon out on the lake yesterday.

Will Richardson
Truckee, CA

Date: 4/25/24 8:35 pm
From: Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...>
Jeff Miller, along with Jenny Scott and Jenny Sweatt, found Lake Tahoe’s first Vermillion Flycatcher late this afternoon at the Cove East restoration area. I have no additional details on precise location, but I do know that other birders showed up close to 6 pm and weren’t able to relocate it by 6:45. I’m going to try early tomorrow regardless.
Will Richardson
Truckee, CA