mnbird
Received From Subject
5/16/24 6:34 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Submission
5/15/24 12:02 pm Yahoo via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Summer Tanager
5/15/24 11:29 am Emil Anderson via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Summer Tanager
5/14/24 2:18 pm Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Myre-Big Island State Park
5/11/24 6:41 pm Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Catch and Release
5/10/24 2:56 pm Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Foy Indigo bunting
5/10/24 7:36 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Size matters
5/9/24 2:27 pm Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Joy of FOY red headed wp
5/8/24 7:39 am Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Myre-Big Island State Park
5/8/24 7:03 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Myre-Big Island State Park
5/7/24 5:13 pm mairi doerr via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] birds
5/7/24 4:12 pm John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] birds
5/6/24 7:48 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Fw: Re: Wing men
5/6/24 4:02 am Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] FOY
5/5/24 2:40 pm MARY ANN MCDOUGAL via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] RTHB
5/5/24 1:41 pm RICHARD BEENS via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Out of range sighting
5/5/24 9:16 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Wing men
5/5/24 6:26 am Susan Kennedy via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Wing men
5/4/24 4:08 pm Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] New Back Yard Visits
5/3/24 4:55 pm Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Foys
5/3/24 11:48 am mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Freeborn County suet eaters
5/3/24 5:08 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Freeborn County suet eaters
4/25/24 4:31 pm linda whyte via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] FOY Tennessee- Afton
4/25/24 11:23 am Ken Royer via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] FOY Tennessee- Afton
4/25/24 10:27 am Tami Vogel via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] FOY Tennessee- Afton
4/25/24 5:59 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Dr. Bob Holtz
4/21/24 3:44 pm Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Let the Games Begin, Nesting Season

Back to top
Date: 5/16/24 6:34 am
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Submission
I reckon the Red-headed Woodpeckers will nest in the woods of our yard again this year. That gives me a reason for a riotous celebration or, at least, a second cup of English Breakfast tea.
A pair of Brown Thrashers greet the day on my deck rail each morning. They are lovely bringers of a new day. It’s not an eponymic, so its name need not be changed unless it was named for Buster Brown. While the bird names are being changed, its name could be changed to the Brown-Rufous-Cinnamon-Rust-Umber-White-Gray-Burnt Sienna-Cream-Reddish-brown-Brownish-red-Black-Yellow-Foxy Thrasher. The yellow is for its eyes. It’s just a thought.
I saw a Summer Tanager in Albert Lea, a Scarlet Tanager in my yard, and a Scarlet Tanager welcomed me to a walk on Lake Sagatagan at St. John’s Abbey Arboretum. If a Western Tanager shows up, that would be OK by me.
I have tried the peppered seed. My squirrels seemed to relish the concoction. It was my only experience with the stuff, and it was years ago. The problem might have been my presentation. I put the forks to the wrong side of the plate. There is a worry about the pepper finding the eyes because there is a worry in everything. I hope yours works like a charm.

Al Batt

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 12:02 pm
From: Yahoo via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Summer Tanager

Back to top
Date: 5/15/24 11:29 am
From: Emil Anderson via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Summer Tanager

Back to top
Date: 5/14/24 2:18 pm
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Myre-Big Island State Park

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 6:41 pm
From: Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Catch and Release
Today I had a unique opportunity for up-close birding.  I had gone into
the outdoor patio room to turn on the Twins game but left the door
open.  First a bee came in but left again.  A few minutes after a small
bird found its way inside. It went to a window opposite the door and
tried to get out, but this was not one I could open for it so it kept
fluttering against the glass.  Luckily, it was not beating hard against
it so as to injure itself.  I approached it and at first glance assumed
it was a chickadee.  I was able to put my finger in front of it and cup
my hand behind it, it grabbed my finger and I was able to lift it away
from the window and carry it back outside.  As I moved it the little
things heart was pounding and the bill was open in a pant, but it
remained clinging to my finger.  I got to get a much better look at it
and realized it was not a chickadee at all but a Blackpoll Warbler!  I
set it on a rung of a trellis a couple feet outside of the room, and it
remained for a few seconds before recovering to fly away.

Backyard birding has been good, we have a Gray Cheeked Thrush visiting
for the past 3 days.  The Harris Sparrow still drops in on and off,
sometimes accompanied by a White Crowned Sparrow.  On Thursday evening a
Yellow Warbler dropped in and hopped around the small fish pond looking
for a way to drink.  Cindy in North Mankato

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 2:56 pm
From: Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Foy Indigo bunting
Just was delighted with seeing the first indigo bunting here at my feeders.

Wright County, St. Michael

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 7:36 am
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Size matters
This week's bird humor.. A female Wood Diuck landed on the top of a Bluebird house and kept peering into the entrance hole trying to figure if she could get in. Entrance hole 1 1/2 in diameter.

And at the opposite corner of the yard, a House Wren was entering and exiting a Wood Duck box, perhaps estimating how any thousand sticks it would have to carry to make it a suitable home. Entrance elipse 4 in. wide by 3 in high.

Funny.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 2:27 pm
From: Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Joy of FOY red headed wp
I glanced out my living room window which looks upon my backyard, which in
turn looks over the Crow River and Crow Hassan park, and upon my feeders to
see the brilliant red head and blocks of black and white of a RHWP hanging
on my peanut feeder.
What a joyous shade of red it has!

The background soundtrack is the wind and the sound of crows mobbing the
GHO who has set up here in the past week.

Wright cty, St Michael

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 7:39 am
From: Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Thank you for sharing this beautiful morning walk. From where I now live
(Sioux Falls, SD) it's like a memory of heaven. I will print it out to read
whenever the day is too dark -

Lois Rem

--
Lois Rem
612-670-5997

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 9:03 AM Allen Batt via Mnbird <
<mnbird...> wrote:

> I moved a pair of shoes down the trail at Myre-Big Island State Park.
> Barred Owls called, Pileated Woodpeckers yelled and Indigo Buntings sang,
> “Fire; fire; where? where? here; here; see it? see it?” Warblers danced in
> the sunlight of the highest leaves. The Great Marsh Trail and Big Island
> were both wonderfully warblery and the variety was uplifting.
> The trail turned into a road. Life is made of little moments and I was
> thrilled to see meadowlarks flapping with short, stiff, grouse-like
> wingbeats and gliding as I listened to the snoring sounds of leopard frogs.
> I noticed a great egret standing in the middle of the road. Why didn’t the
> egret cross the road? Because a pair of Canada Geese wouldn’t let it. The
> gander was bigger than the female, and he stretched his neck menacingly.
> A Western Meadowlark sang, “Have-you-planted your wheat yet?"
>
> It was all good,
> Al Batt
> Freeborn County

Back to top

Date: 5/7/24 5:13 pm
From: mairi doerr via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] birds
I live in Goodhue County on the far west shoreline of Lake Byllesby. As the
Sun began to go down, a large flock (@15-20)of White Pelicans w/ their
underside black wingtips flew by in formation going south to north.
For a brief moment, they banked right and the western sunlight caught their
bright white bodies w/black marking *just right! *
The flock was held in relief against a contrasting backdrop of blue, light
blue, and white clouds.
A pretty site to see! Oh ....to have had a camera to capture that.

On Tue, May 7, 2024, 6:12 PM John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...>
wrote:

> Last weekend my son and his son went fishing on the Mississippi near
> the entry of the Minnesota river. No fish but we watched a pair of double
> crested cormorants work the river up and down. We also saw a kingfisher.
> Today I saw one of the barn swallows fly by. I don't know if there will be
> food for them. I don't see many insects around here. I Have not seen one
> pollinator on the blooming trees. Last year we launched three young. They
> build their nests on top of the lights in the entryway to the Glenn.
>
> John Hamer

Back to top

Date: 5/6/24 7:48 am
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Fw: Re: Wing men
The males are feeding the fledglings because the females are indeed out of sight. They are back in the nest warming the eggs for the next brood. There are lots of house sparrows.

Don Grussng

Minnetonka

On Sun, 5 May, 2024 at 12:15 PM, Lois Rem <lois.rem...><mailto:<lois.rem...>> wrote:

To: donald grussing owner

The other male sparrow behavior I see every year and every fledgling season is that the poor harried dads seem on their own to feed the young who park themselves in one place, squawking loudly and shaking their wings almost aggressively. Dad tries to meet the demand, but -- females nowhere in sight.

--

Lois Rem
612-670-5997

1100 N Lake Ave #204
Sioux Falls SD 57104-1399

On Sun, May 5, 2024 at 11:16 AM DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...><mailto:<mnbird...>> wrote:

Don't look for reason in house sparrow behavior. The most amazing and unreasonable thing about house sparrow behavior is that the male house sparrow develops a bond with his choice of nest site, not his mate. And this will carry to the point of him being blocked or afraid to enter a site, but still having fidelity for it.

In other bird species the pair will move as a unit to seek another nesting site if the nesting effort is destroyed or interrupted. In house sparrows, the female will depart, but the male will remain, perched on or near the nest site, chirping constantly to attract another female. You can trap and remove her, or discourage her by frequent nest removal and egg destruction. But the male will remain. And sometimes be joined by associates as Susan Kennedy witnessed.

The obvious solution is removal efforts concentrating on male house sparrows. Tools to aid in such efforts are available from Bluebird and Purple Martin advocacy organizations

Don Grussjng
Minnetonka

On Sun, 5 May, 2024 at 8:25 AM, Susan Kennedy via Mnbird <mnbird...><mailto:<mnbird...>> wrote:

To: mnbird

I have a birdhouse designed for wrens/chickadees. In winter, I take the restrictor off the entrance so a downy can sleep in it. But that allows house sparrows to think they can use it in the spring. However, in the spring, the restrictor goes back on, and the HOSP try but can't get into the house.

The male wren has showed up, claiming this and all the nearby boxes. Then I witnessed a group of 6 male HOSP acting as wing men surrounding the wren. There was no physical confrontation, but the standoff lasted for several minutes. It was quite fascinating to see the HOSP confront the wren even though there was no way for them to claim the house.

Susan Kennedy in SW Mpls. _______________________________________________
Mnbird mailing list
<Mnbird...><mailto:<Mnbird...>
http://mail.lists.mnbird.net/mailman/listinfo/mnbird_lists.mnbird.net_______________________________________________

Date: 5/6/24 4:02 am
From: Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] FOY
To echo Mary Ann, our first RTH appeared around 5 pm while we were on
the patio last evening.  Ironically I had only just removed feeders I
had hung early for cleaning so I quickly prepared another.  I had a few
hanging baskets out, and the neighbors still have crab blossoms and
lilacs so hopefully it will stick nearby.

I also got to see a handsome Harris sparrow a few times yesterday, they
appear more skittish in the open than the white throats (and that is
saying something) but he did spend some time pecking under the bird
feeder while I sat quietly nearby.

While the RBGB did not come at all yesterday there were a few brief
oriole sightings.  An odd thing occurred to me yesterday as well--in the
last few days there have been NO chickadees at my feeders or calling in
the trees.  They are so frequent that you nearly ignore them, but the
absence is notable.  Cindy in North Mankato

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 2:40 pm
From: MARY ANN MCDOUGAL via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] RTHB
First Ruby throated Humming Bird today. He checked out the Oriole feeder and some geraniums in the open cold frame. No interest in any of those. I quickly brought out my
Shrimp Plant. He’ll be back.
Mary Ann
SW Lino Lakes
Anoka Co

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 1:41 pm
From: RICHARD BEENS via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Out of range sighting
Had a female Black Headed Grosbeak at my fly through sunflower feeder today. Bi-colored beak and splash of orange on her breast.

Dick Beens
St. Louis Park

Sent from my iPhone. Dick Beens

Back to top

Date: 5/4/24 4:08 pm
From: Brian and Cindy Drill via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] New Back Yard Visits
Good afternoon all.  After hearing both a lone Oriole and a catbird call
at the park this week the reinforcements arrived today after the rain
stopped.  We had catbird, several male RB Grosbeaks, a couple of Orioles
all drop in at the back yard today.  I even saw a female grosbeak stop
at the maple tree but flew off without visiting the feeder.

This past week has been steady with white throated sparrows skulking in
the growing perennials or under the bird feeders, clay colored and
chipping sparrows, and a handful of pine siskins.  I haven't yet had a
hummingbird, but watch diligently.  Cindy in North Mankato

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 4:55 pm
From: Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Foys
Male Oriole, male RBGB, yellow rumped all just this evening.
St michael, Wright County on the Crow River.

I also had TWO GHOs last night on a branch on a large oak.

They're baaaackk!!!

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 11:48 am
From: mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Freeborn County suet eaters
Enjoying the songs of the white throated sparrows! About a dozen in my Apple Valley yard!

Mary Norman
Dakota County

> On May 3, 2024, at 7:06 AM, Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>
> It’s a gee-whiz morning for me. It’s a soggy day for the birds. The suet feeders have a rush of business made up of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Brown Thrashers, woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy & Red-bellied), starlings, nuthatches, chickadees and blue jays. This is the time of the whistling sparrows and I love the company of White-throated, Harris’s and White-crowned. It’s also the time when I remember how much I enjoy wren and thrasher music. It’s like hearing a nearly forgotten Etta James song.
>
> Al Batt
> Freeborn County

Back to top

Date: 4/25/24 4:31 pm
From: linda whyte via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] FOY Tennessee- Afton
Some of us going on the Salt Lake weekend will need your wishes for good
weather, too, LOL! But the birds will no doubt be there!
Linda Whyte

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024, 12:27 PM Tami Vogel via Mnbird <
<mnbird...> wrote:

> I did a double take yesterday when I got home from work. It wasn't the
> pine warbler at my suet feeder but a FOY Tennessee warbler.
>
> This may be the first time there has been a Tennessee on suet (need to
> check my phenology). Not a new yard bird but fascinating to see it join the
> yellow-rumpeds and pine eating suet.
>
> Should be a great bird weekend - maybe even hummingbirds! I wish you all a
> fun weekend.
>

> - Tami in Afton

Back to top

Date: 4/25/24 5:59 am
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Dr. Bob Holtz

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 3:44 pm
From: Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Let the Games Begin, Nesting Season
Today I saw Northern Flickers copulating.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are up to their breasts in a nest hole. Interestingly, it's a red-capped female using the same aspen as last year. Unfortunately, her male was wooed away by the black-capped female that was his partner the prior year; the red-capped female was seen around the yard periodically all summer. Will the black-capped female re-appear this year?

A male Downy Woodpecker is up to his breast in a nest hole. It's in a really dead aspen that has many nest holes started by chickadees and downies over the past couple of years. The wood always looked pretty spongy in the previous holes. This hole looks firm; it's at the base of a dead branch so it may be a winner!

A saw a Black-capped Chickadee inside a Gilbertson tube box. Later I looked and it appears the little fellow was chipping off teeny pieces of the floor. Better hope he stops before he breaks through to the outside.

Bluebirds have deposited grasses into two of our nest boxes: one a Gilbertson, the other a more standard wooden box. Both have hosted bluebirds in past years.

A male Cardinal is patrolling our windows, and still has time for chasing and mate-feeding his female friend.

May we all have good birding stories to share this year!

Molly Jo Miller
Inver Grove Hts
Dakota Co.