inland-nw-birders
Received From Subject
5/5/24 10:47 am Casey Lowder via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] Bird walks on the Palouse - May 2024
5/1/24 7:53 pm Vicki King via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] REMINDER: WOS Monthly Meeting, May 6, 2024 (in person and via Zoom)
4/30/24 4:24 pm Sarah Walker via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] Avocet
4/27/24 3:44 pm Theresa Allen via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Pullman Great Horned Owls
4/27/24 3:22 pm monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Pullman Great Horned Owls
4/27/24 3:09 pm monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] Spring sightings so far
4/26/24 2:19 pm Theresa Allen via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Pullman Great Horned Owls
4/26/24 8:57 am John Wolff via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] Pullman Great Horned Owls
4/25/24 6:46 pm monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] owls near WSU arboretum 9:03 April 24
4/24/24 9:31 am Theresa Allen via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] owls near WSU arboretum 9:03 April 24
4/21/24 8:09 pm Vicki King via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...> [inland-NW-birders] WOS Monthly Meeting, May 6, 2024 (in person and via Zoom)

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 10:47 am
From: Casey Lowder via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Bird walks on the Palouse - May 2024
Hello INW birders,

There are four walks scheduled for May and they are open for registration now - https://waxwingimagery.com/bird-walks-on-the-palouse-spring-2024-registration/

These free walks are intended for anyone interested in birds and usually last 1-1.5 hours at a birders (slow) pace covering a mile or so. We have fewer walks this month since several of our guides have gone home for the summer. If you are interested in hosting/guiding future walks, please get in touch with me - <casey.lowder...>

Two of our walks this month are paired with other local events:
On 5/11, join Monique for birding around Koppel Farm and nearby trails then check out the Pullman Community Gardens Spring Fair at Koppel Farm starting at 10 AM.
On 5/18, join me for a walk around the Three Forks Riverside Trails where Paradise Creek joins the South Fork Palouse River in Pullman. We will start there then bird our way over to the 3 Forks River & Arts festival that begins at 10 AM.

Casey Lowder
Pullman, WA

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 7:53 pm
From: Vicki King via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] REMINDER: WOS Monthly Meeting, May 6, 2024 (in person and via Zoom)
The Washington Ornithological Society (WOS) is pleased to announce our next Monthly Meeting: on Monday, May 5, Dennis Paulson will present, "Cormorants—perhaps you didn’t know they were so interesting!"

Cormorants occur worldwide, and we are fortunate to have three species of them in the Pacific Northwest. They share a common ancestry and many similar anatomical modifications, but each of them has its own way of life. And cormorants around the world add even more variation to this plan.

Dennis Paulson grew up in Miami, exposed to nature in all its glory while southern Florida was still largely unspoiled. After receiving his Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Miami, he moved to Seattle where he has lived ever since. He continues to work regularly at the Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound where he was Director for 15 years. Dennis is an iconic figure in the birding community, a noted naturalist and dragonfly authority, and perhaps most of all, a dedicated, generous and respected educator.

This meeting will be conducted both IN-PERSON at the UW Center for Urban Horticulture, and virtually, via Zoom. At CUH (3501 NE 41st Street, Seattle), our social time starts at 7pm, and the formal program begins at 7:30pm.

Please go to the WOS Monthly Meetings page: https://wos.org/monthly-meetings/ for instructions on virtual participation and to get the Zoom link. When joining the meeting, we ask that you PLEASE mute your device and make certain that your camera is turned off.

Sign-in will begin at 7:15 pm, and once again, the meeting commences at 7:30 pm.

This meeting is open to all as WOS invites everyone in the wider birding community to attend. Thanks to the generosity of our presenters, recordings of past programs are available at the following link to the WOS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@washingtonornithologicalso7839/videos

If you are not yet a member of WOS, we hope you will consider becoming one at https://wos.org

Please join us!

Elaine Chuang
WOS Program Support

Back to top
Date: 4/30/24 4:24 pm
From: Sarah Walker via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Avocet
Seeing an avocet at Genesee Ponds along Morscheck Rd.,
April 30, 4 PM
Sarah Walker
Moscow Idaho

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 3:44 pm
From: Theresa Allen via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Pullman Great Horned Owls
That is a great picture! I will have to look for the nest next time I walk under the bridge. I wonder if Buddy and I walked by the nest or an owlet and I never noticed because I was too busy looking at something else.

I think that family by the Playfields must be the ones I saw nesting nearby earlier this spring.  One or both small owlets would sit out on a nearby concrete ledge in the sunshine when I walked by several times - the nest was just barely visible in a deep gap in the concrete understructure of the road bridge.Monique
Date: 4/27/24 3:22 pm
From: monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>

________________________________

Date: 4/27/24 3:09 pm
From: monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spring sightings so far
Recently in the Pullman area, I've seen:
Last weekend a few Chipping Sparrows turned up in Conservation Park, and this week had a female Calliope Hummingbird plus lots of Yellow-Rumped Warblers (Audubon's, plus I saw 1 Myrtle) and White-Crowned Sparrows (everywhere!). Female Red-Winged Blackbirds have shown up to join the males, Mallard ducklings are appearing, and spotted a House Wren inspecting a nest box yesterday :)
Also at least 2 pairs of Swainson's Hawks, one each at north & south ends of town.

Monique Slipher
Pullman

Back to top

Date: 4/25/24 6:46 pm
From: monique slipher via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] owls near WSU arboretum 9:03 April 24
Hi Theresa,
Those were very likely the Great Horned Owls that nest in the vicinity of the Arboretum each year, I've heard 1 or more of them calling from the pines at that intersection several times in the last few months 🙂 Sounds like they may well have at least one youngster again this year, some years there have been two owlets.
Monique Slipher
Pullman
As I was driving to work, I observed 3 large owls lined up and roosting on a more-or-less horizontal branch on a large tree. I was driving and could not identify what kind of owl was perched.

The location is approximately on the SW corner of Grimes Way and Terre View Dr., across Terre View from the WSU arboretum parking area. A good view should be available from the walking path that runs along the stream there.

Anyone who is on or near the WSU campus and able to take a quick break probably has a good chance of seeing them.

Theresa Allen

Back to top

Date: 4/21/24 8:09 pm
From: Vicki King via Inland-nw-birders <inland-nw-birders...>

Please go to the WOS Monthly Meetings page: https://wos.org/monthly-meetings/ for instructions on virtual participation and to get the Zoom link. When joining the meeting, we ask that you mute your device and make certain that your camera is turned off.