NVBirds
Received From Subject
5/12/24 3:55 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> Blackpoll and Hooded Warblers near Fallon
5/12/24 10:45 am Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...> Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve Weekly Bird List
5/11/24 3:20 pm Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> spring birds in W. Nevada
5/10/24 4:02 pm ben zyla <theloraxx365...> Re: eBird reviewer for southern NV ?
5/10/24 2:47 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> eBird reviewer for southern NV ?
5/6/24 5:59 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Harris's Hawk Craig Ranch Regional Park, LV
5/6/24 12:09 pm Clayton Peoples <claypeoples...> Red Knot at Silver Lake, north Reno
5/6/24 9:33 am RickMeg Andrews <nvandrews2727...> Acorn Woodpecker Verdii
5/5/24 10:38 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Corn Creek Sunday 5/5/24
5/4/24 6:50 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Re: Fernley Backyard Birds Update
5/4/24 3:25 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Fernley Backyard Birds
5/4/24 11:16 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip - Swan Lake
5/2/24 12:32 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Los Angeles birder visiting Las Vegas next week
5/2/24 11:43 am Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Cassin's Vireo near Rancho San Rafael Park
5/1/24 4:36 pm Debbie Van Dooremolen <debbie.vandooremolen...> WFO Call for Papers - San Diego - 10/9-13
4/24/24 4:26 pm David Worley <daveworl...> Early Swainson's Hawk; Canyon wrens
4/24/24 1:33 pm Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Miller’s Reststop birds
4/21/24 1:54 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> Lucy’s Warbler at Miller’s Rest
4/20/24 10:35 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip - McCarran Ranch, STO
4/19/24 10:26 am Will Richardson <will...> Re: Cattle Egret
4/19/24 10:10 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> Re: Cattle Egret
4/19/24 9:55 am Jacque Lowery <nevadabird...> email address change
4/19/24 9:48 am Will Richardson <will...> Re: Cattle Egret
4/18/24 11:20 am RickMeg Andrews <nvandrews2727...> Cattle Egret, Washoe Valley
4/18/24 9:05 am Brian Adams <bra356...> Re: Cattle Egret
4/18/24 8:23 am Lynn Duncan <lynduncan...> Cattle Egret

Back to top
Date: 5/12/24 3:55 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: Blackpoll and Hooded Warblers near Fallon
This afternoon I found a male Blackpoll (39.49181, -118.99322) very near a
male Hooded Warbler (39.49167, -118.99285) at the Carson River Diversion
Dam in Churchill County, west of Fallon
(https://ebird.org/hotspot/L421280). The
specific location is the tree grove approximately due south of the dam,
itself, but on the south side of the diversion channel (bridge 100m east).
Photos to come in eBird.

Carl Lundblad
Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 5/12/24 10:45 am
From: Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve Weekly Bird List
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

Operating hours for September 1 - May 31, we are open 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Last entry 1:30 p.m.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff: May 5 - 11

Canada Goose, Moffitt's Canada Goose, Gadwall, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe

Least Bittern, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Green Heron, Black Crowned Night Heron, White-faced Ibis, Turkey Vulture

Sora, Common Gallinule, American Coot, Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope

White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove, Greater Roadrunner

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird, Peregrine Falcon, Western Wood-Peewee, Black Phoebe, Says Phoebe, Western Kingbird, Tree Swallow, N. Rough-winged Swallow, Bank swallow, Barn Swallow

Verdin, Marsh Wren, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Northern Mockingbird, Crissal Thrasher

Common Yellow-throat, Yellow Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Abert's Towhee, Chipping Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow

Western Tanager, Blue Grosbeak (H), Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch, House Sparrow

71 Species

Happy Birding!

Michelle Baker
Site Lead/Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
City of Henderson
350 E. Galleria Dr., MSC 411
Henderson, NV 89011
<Michelle.Baker...><http://www.cityofhenderson.com/>

[City of Henderson Survey]<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RRQ7GVR>

PUBLIC RECORDS NOTICE: In accordance with NRS Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request.

Back to top
Date: 5/11/24 3:20 pm
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: spring birds in W. Nevada
On a beautiful blue sky warm spring morning, we were happy to see the return of our migrating birds in a couple of spots in W. Nevada. The Tri-colored Blackbirds have returned to their breeding area tules north and east of Centerville Lane south of Gardnerville. A Sandhill Crane and winnowing snipe were also welcome returnees.

Davis Creek Park, south of Reno, was very popular with human campers and picnickers, as well as with returning birds. The Calliope Hummer is back, either on the highest willow branch just west of the pond or doing his spectacular dive displays. Western Wood-Pewees and Black-headed Grosbeaks were singing everywhere. We saw an Osprey flying away with a fish in its claws. Other birds: chickadees, nuthatches, creepers, Steller’s Jay, a Hairy Woodpecker, towhees, W. tanager, Golden-crowned Sparrows and Yellow-rumps were also present. A fine day for birding.

Rose Strickland,
Reno

Back to top
Date: 5/10/24 4:02 pm
From: ben zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: Re: eBird reviewer for southern NV ?
Pictures always are encouraged.

________________________________
I would like to communicate directly with the Las Vegas / southern Nevada eBird reviewer. I have some questions about my Harris's Hawk and Rufous-backed. Robin entries. I need to know if I need to go back to Corn Creek to get photos in order to get my record accepted?

Thomas Geza Miko
653 S. Indian Hill Boulevard #C
Claremont CA 91711
909.241.3300

Back to top

Date: 5/6/24 5:59 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: Harris's Hawk Craig Ranch Regional Park, LV
36.241493,-115.153690 I am familiar with this bird from numerous trips to Texas and Arizona, but I was surprised when one flew right past me when I was standing next to my car, having just arrived in the park after work. This large, powerful raptor with a white rump was flying like a red-tailed hawk or, almost like a Cooper's Hawk (much too big and long body shape to be a Cooper's which is resident in my neighborhood in Los Angeles) I did not note any falconry equipment attached to this bird. The bird flew west into the housing tract that is west of the park.

Date: 5/6/24 12:09 pm
From: Clayton Peoples <claypeoples...>
Subject: Red Knot at Silver Lake, north Reno
Brendan Bucy (first spotter) and I are looking at a gorgeous Red Knot right now at Silver Lake’s adjacent mud flats, north of Reno. Spot approximately here: (39.6467899, -119.9004065)

Clayton Peoples
Reno NV

Back to top
Date: 5/6/24 9:33 am
From: RickMeg Andrews <nvandrews2727...>
Subject: Acorn Woodpecker Verdii
Continuing at Crystal Peak Park, Lower driveway, Verdii.
Note noisy maintenance going on.

Meg Andrews
reno

Back to top
Date: 5/5/24 10:38 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: Corn Creek Sunday 5/5/24

The number of birds there this afternoon was amazing. If somebody could help with the robin that I had, I would appreciate it.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S172335203

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont 91711
909.241.3300

Back to top
Date: 5/4/24 6:50 pm
From: Dennis Serdehely <birders...>
Subject: Re: Fernley Backyard Birds Update
This afternoon we added Cassin's Vireo and Hammond's Flycatcher to our list of migrants for the day.
Dennis Serdehely
On Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 03:25:19 PM PDT, Dennis Serdehely <birders...> wrote:

We had an amazing day in our backyard today. The bad weather dropped down an incredible variety and number of migrants: Wilson's Warbler 3, Black-throated Gray Warbler 2, Nashville Warbler 2, Gray Flycatcher 1, Lazuli Bunting at least 4 maybe more, Yellow Warbler 2, Yellow-rumped Warbler 4, Yellow-breasted Chat 1, MacGillivray's Warbler 1, Warbling Vireo 1, Orange-crowned Warbler 1, Townsend's warbler 1, Western Tanager 2, Bullock's Oriole 2, Pine Siskin 1, Black-headed Grosbeak 1. All of these birds were seen at our water feature or in its immediate vicinity, where we were able to watch them from our back window.  There was also a Calliope Hummingbird coming to one of our hummingbird feeders in addition to our summer resident Black-chinned Hummingbirds.
Dennis Serdehely

Back to top
Date: 5/4/24 3:25 pm
From: Dennis Serdehely <birders...>
Subject: Fernley Backyard Birds

Date: 5/4/24 11:16 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip - Swan Lake
It was a great walk with notable species being the Caspian Tern, Black
Tern, a pair of adult Bald Eagles, and Wilson's Phalarope. See the trip
report for photos and a complete list of the 66 species we saw.

https://ebird.org/tripreport/231028

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 12:32 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: Los Angeles birder visiting Las Vegas next week
Hi,

1. Have discussions of birds in Nevada moved over to some other format like WhatsApp? If so, how can I sign up or get invited?
2. I'll be working in Las Vegas next week from Monday morning to Friday afternoon (Then driving home either Friday night or Saturday morning). I am driving up this weekend OK Sunday. I know where to go look for birds would like to check in to see if there are any birders who know anything about reptiles and scorpions even though supposedly we have scorpions in the desert in California, I have never seen one, and it sounds like velocity area Would be a good spot to look for them. Reptiles we can discuss off-line.

Tom Miko
Claremont, California
909.241.3300 cell

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 11:43 am
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: Cassin's Vireo near Rancho San Rafael Park
Spring is arrving in Reno, along with good migrants.

On our morning walk around the neighborhood, we heard the familiar cadence of a vireo song. With binoculars, we could see a beautiful Cassin’s Vireo high in a neighbor’s tree. It was in the first block west of Washington St. and Putnam Dr., south of Rancho San Rafael in Reno.

Rose Strickland,
Reno

Back to top
Date: 5/1/24 4:36 pm
From: Debbie Van Dooremolen <debbie.vandooremolen...>
Subject: WFO Call for Papers - San Diego - 10/9-13
Call for Papers for the 48th Annual Conference of Western Field Ornithologists

Abstracts are being accepted for scientific presentations at the 48th Annual Conference of Western Field Ornithologists, to be held 9-13 October 2024. This year's convention will take place at The Dana on Mission Bay in San Diego, California. Science sessions are always one of the highlights of WFO's conferences, and this year's sessions will be held on the afternoons of 11 and 12 October (Friday and Saturday).

Oral presentations should reflect original research or summarize existing unpublished information, and should be presented in a manner that will interest both serious amateur and professional field ornithologists. All researchers, including students, are encouraged to present.

Talks relating to the following themes are solicited:

* Status, distribution, migration, and population dynamics of birds

* Systematics and biogeography of birds

* Ecology, behavior, and evolution of birds

* New information on avian field identification problems

* Science-based conservation and management of birds

* Techniques for field study of birds, including censusing, monitoring, and other methods; and results of studies applying such techniques

Research described should apply to birds of the WFO region: western North America (from Alaska through Mexico, and the Great Plains to the Pacific coast) and the eastern Pacific Ocean. All talks should identify study objectives, describe methods and data analysis, present results, discuss the significance of the research, and propose future research directions. Oral presentations will be allotted 15 minutes, including 3 minutes for questions and discussion. We expect to have sufficient time in the schedule for 15 presentations.

Please submit an abstract of your presentation electronically to Dan Ruthrauff at <druthrauff...><mailto:<kgarrett...> no later than 15 August 2024, following this format (all in Times New Roman, 10-point font):

YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME1 and (if applicable) CO-AUTHOR FIRST NAME, CO-AUTHOR LAST NAME2 [all caps]. Title of your talk. 1Your affiliation and/or sponsoring organization(s), if any, complete mailing address; e-mail address [all in italics]. 2Co-author affiliation and/or sponsoring organization(s), if different, complete mailing address, if different; e-mail address [all in italics].

Brief (300-word maximum) summary of the objectives, methods, results, significance, and broader applicability of your study (Times, 10-point type).

Use superscripts only if coauthors have different contact information. Also, please include a brief (60-word maximum) bio for the presenting author. Presenters need not be members of WFO, but they must register for the conference (at least for one day).

Student presenters: the WFO is accepting applications for scholarships for the conference. More information on scholarships and research grants, and how to apply, can be found at https://westernfieldornithologists.org/about/students/scholarships/.

Contact Dan Ruthrauff with any questions, and please visit the WFO website at https://westernfieldornithologists.org/conference/ for more information about the conference. We look forward to seeing you in San Diego!

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 4:26 pm
From: David Worley <daveworl...>
Subject: Early Swainson's Hawk; Canyon wrens
Just had a dark-phase Swainson's hawk fly over. Location is north of UNR. Bird initially observed too our east and circled and drifted slowly northwest, gaining altitude. Also had two cliff swallows fly over.

White-crowned sparrow numbers are decreasing and we haven't seen a junco for several weeks. We still have three to four Cassin's finches coming in to feeders.

About a week ago I took a hike up one of the canyons above Hidden Valley and had a pair of canyon wrens singing in rocky breccia-like outcrops.

Dave Worley,
Reno, Nevada

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 1:33 pm
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: Miller’s Reststop birds
Despite the ongoing construction of a well there and strong thunderstorms all around, Millers had a bevy of Wilson’s and Yellow warblers, Yellow-rumps, a Lark Sparrow, Pine Siskin, Cassin’s Finch, singing mockingbird, a pair of active Say’s Phoebes, about a dozen collared doves and house sparrows today. The lawn is very green and the trees are just leafing out. There’s a lot of road construction in and around Tonopah.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 1:54 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: Lucy’s Warbler at Miller’s Rest
Around 1 PM on Sunday afternoon I found a female Lucy’s Warbler at
Millers’s Rest north of Tonopah. This species is quite rare in Esmeralda
County but may be getting more regular, as this species has expanded
north. I’ll put some photos in eBird in the next 1-2 days. An early-ish
Western Tanager was at Tonopah Cemetery, earlier.

Good Birding

Carl Lundblad
Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 10:35 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip - McCarran Ranch, STO
The mornings are warming up and the migrants have started to arrive. For
photos and complete list see the Trip Report.

https://ebird.org/tripreport/224230

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 10:26 am
From: Will Richardson <will...>
Subject: Re: Cattle Egret
I saw the Tahoe bird on the 4th, and I believe he was there the following day as well.

"we may just be having a good year for them?” - indeed!

Will

____________________
T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Tahoe Institute for Natural Science
530.412.2792
www.tinsweb.org

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 10:10 am
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
It certainly could be, but Greg Scyphers had one in east Reno (a half mile
from my home) on April 7 (the Tahoe bird was last reported in eBird on 2
April), and additional reports have come from Inyo County (2) and
Stillwater NWR (both locations where this species is more-regular) in the
last week, and so there appears to be a movement of Cattle Egrets underway,
and we may just be having a good year for them?

Carl Lundblad
Reno, NV

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 9:48 AM Will Richardson <will...> wrote:

> I have to wonder if this is the same egret that just spent about a week in
> S. Lake Tahoe.
>
> ____________________
> T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
> Executive Director
> Tahoe Institute for Natural Science
> 530.412.2792
> www.tinsweb.org

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 9:55 am
From: Jacque Lowery <nevadabird...>
Subject: email address change
I need to change my email address here; cannot remember any easy way to
do so.  Please help.

Thanks.

Jacque Lowery

www.avg.com

Back to top

Date: 4/18/24 11:20 am
From: RickMeg Andrews <nvandrews2727...>
Subject: Cattle Egret, Washoe Valley
Thanks for the timely update, Lynn, I was able to drive directly to the
correct spot and had some lovely views of the bird. (The bird is in a
field just west of I580, 1.5 miles south of where the southbound lanes
reduce from 3 lanes to 2 lanes). Dennis and Rose showed up, and we also
found 2 Willets in the same field.

Meg Andrews
Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 9:05 am
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
FWIW in ~1988 I moved into my home near Lake Park and not far from RSR Park. There were still cattle being pastured on the slope just below Coleman Dr, and I saw at least one Cattle Egret there.
Brian AdamsReno

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 8:23 am
From: Lynn Duncan <lynduncan...>
Subject: Cattle Egret
Continuing this am, coordinates 39.26698, -119.81832

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!