DE-BIRDS
Received From Subject
5/10/24 4:58 pm Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, May 10th, 2024
5/9/24 3:25 pm Rob Blye <rwblye...> Re: [de-birds] Saltmarsh sparrows?
5/9/24 11:47 am m b <marlabeth...> [de-birds] Saltmarsh sparrows?
5/8/24 12:22 pm m b <marlabeth...> [de-birds] Shockley Road phalarope
5/8/24 11:30 am Christopher Bennett <cpb2564...> [de-birds] DOS Fieldtrip to Ted Harvey this Saturday
5/3/24 5:10 pm Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, May 3rd, 2024
5/2/24 10:02 am Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...> [de-birds] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
4/27/24 4:37 am Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 26th, 2024 (Revised)
4/26/24 6:43 pm Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 26th, 2024
4/26/24 9:11 am Rob Blye <rwblye...> [de-birds] Yard birds in lower Sussex County - the RTHU show of a lifetime
4/24/24 4:29 pm Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] Brandywine Bird Walk on Saturday, April 27th
4/20/24 7:47 am Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 19th, 2024
4/16/24 9:21 am Diane Freebery <chickadeedee25...> [de-birds] New arrivals

Date: 5/10/24 4:58 pm
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, May 10th, 2024

Palm Warbler
Wilson’s Warbler
Canada Warbler
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: May 10, 2024
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, May 10th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science in Greenville. The Birdline is the rare bird alert for The First State sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors. We crossed the 300 mark, the unofficial Delaware State Year List increased to 301 species this week with 10 new additions. New birds this week included MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD, CURLEW SANDPIPER, BLACK TERN, LONG-TAILED JAEGER, GRAY-CHEEKED and BICKNELL’S THRUSH, plus TENNESSEE, BAY-BREASTED, and CANADA WARBLER! Although the Big 3 were not reported, there were 30 species of WARBLER, including, BLACKBURNIAN, CAPE MAY, and WILSON’S WARBLER. Some common migrants going through right now included YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, EASTERN WOOD PEWEE, VEERY, SWAINSON’S THRUSH, SCARLET TANAGER, and ROSE-BREATED GROSBEAK.

A CURLEW SANDPIPER was found today at Thousand Acre Marsh, south of Delaware City. The bird, said to be in full breeding plumage but very distant, was found off Reedy Point Road at the sound end of the Route 9 Bridge over the C&D Canal. Other shorebirds reported at Thousand Acre included BLACK-NECKED STILT, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER plus WHITE-RUMPED, PECTORAL, and STILT SANDPIPER. A pair of female LESSER SCAUP were seen among the MALLARDS off Dutch Neck Road. BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE was reported along Route 9.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at the Port Penn Impoundments of Augustine Wildlife Area with GLOSSY IBIS and LITTLE BLUE HERONS. LEAST BITTERN, SORA, VIRGINIA RAIL and COMMON GALLINULE were found at Cooper’s Cross Observation Platform, along with LINCOLN’S SPARROW in the brush by the parking lot. SANDHILL CRANE, LEAST FLYCATCHER and a female SUMMER TANAGER was seen at the Ashton Tract.

A SWALLOW-TAILED KITE was photographed over the fields at Stave’s Landing Road near Odessa. CLIFF SWALLOWS were seen on nest at the Appoquinimink Creek Bridge along Route 9. SEASIDE SPARROW was reported at Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area. A COMMON RAVEN was seen flying over at Charles Price Park in Middletown. The fields surrounding the park had BOBOLINK, EASTERN MEADOWLARK, GRASSHOPPER and SAVANNAH SPARROW, SUMMER TANAGER and KENTUCKY WARBLER was also reported at Blackbird State Forest. The previously reported RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS continue to be found along Saw Mill Road.

BRANT were seen at Battery Park in New Castle today migrating up the river. Earlier in the week, a PARASITIC JAEGER was photographed over the river in New Castle. Other highlights included LITTLE GULL, BLACK and COMMON TERN, LONG-TAILED DUCK and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. A drake RING-NECKED DUCK along with RUDDY DUCK and AMERICAN COOT were seen at the Wilmington Water treatment plant, but the area has restricted access.

A hen HOODED MERGANSER with 7 chicks was photographed at Glasgow Park. BLUE-HEADED, WARBLING and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO were seen at White Clay Creek State Park. PROTHONOTARY and WILSON’S WARBLER were seen at Krapf’s along Creek Road. HOODED, KENTUCKY, CANADA, BLACKBURNIAN and TENNESSEE WARBLER were found at Thompson’s Station Road.

A late PALM WARBLER was seen at Ashland Nature center. WILSON’S WARBLER was seen at Auburn Valley State Park and First State National Historical Park off Ramsey Road. Also at First State were LEAST FLYCATCHER, BLUE-HEADED VIREO, TENNESSEE WARBLER and a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW. A flock of thrushes at Thompson’s Bridge in Brandywine Creek State Park included VEERY SWAINSON’S, GRAY-CHEEKED and a singing BICKNELL’S THRUSH.

SANDHILL CRANE and SNOW GOOSE continue to be seen at Bombay Hook National Wildlife refuge, along with MUTE SWAN and RUDDY DUCK. Shorebirds reported included AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, WILLET, LONG and SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, AMERICAN WOODCOCK, plus STILT, PECTORAL and a single WESTERN SANDPIPER. Waders seen included TRICOLORED and LITTLE BLUE HERON, YELLOW-CROWNED and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, plus GLOSSY and WHITE IBIS. A BLACK TERN was seen at Raymond Pool on Monday, LEAST TERNS were seen at Shearness Pool on Tuesday. NORTHERN BOBWHITE and WILD TURKEY were by the visitor’s center.

There was a high count of 40 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS at the Amalfi Road retention pond. A COMMON RAVEN was seen flying over there this week. SUMMER TANAGER and KENTUCKY WARBLER were seen near Blackiston off Walnut Tree Road. CLIFF SWALLOWS were also seen at the Route 9 bridge at Fleming’s Landing. A WILSON’S SNIPE was reported at Little Creek Wildlife Area.

The previously reported YELLOW RAIL was heard calling at Bennet’s Pier Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area. SEDGE WRENS were reported at both Bennett’s Pier and Big Stone Beach. SORA, VIRGINIA RAIL and LEAST BITTERN calling at Big Sone Beach. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER were reported along the Big Stone Beach Road.

A REEVE and a WILSON’S PHALAROPE were found at a farm pond along Shockley Road off the South Slaughter’s Beach Road. Another WILSON’S PHALAROPE was found at Oyster Rocks Road in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, along with the IBIS trifecta: GLOSSY, WHITE and a WHITE-FACED IBIS. A drake NORTHERN PINTAIL was seen at Broadkill Marsh. A possible MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD was spotted flying over the Dike trail at Prime Hook headquarters yesterday. LEAST TERN and BLACK SKIMMERS were reported on the sandbar at the end for the trail. WILLOW FLYCATCHER and BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO were found at Prime Hook Headquarters. VIRGINIA and KING RAIL were reported at Prime Hook Beach Road. RED KNOT, BLACK-NECKED STILT, RUDDY TURNSTONE, WILLET, and TRICOLORED HERON were seen at Mispillion Inlet from the duPont Nature Center. SEASIDE and SALT MARSH SPARROWS were seen at the bridge along Lighthouse Road.

After several days easterly winds, a pair of LONG-TAILED JAEGERS were seen Sunday at Cape Henlopen State Park and several PARASITIC JAEGERS were seen daily. Two BLACK TERNS were seen at Cape Henlopen Point, along with LEAST, COMMON, CASPIAN and ROYAL TERN plus BLACK SKIMMER. Shorebirds reported included AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING PLOVER, RED KNOT, and WHIMBREL. BRANT, BROWN PELICANS and NORTHERN GANNETS were seen offshore. MERLINS were seen migrating north through the dunes.

BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS were still at a private pond near Harbeson this week. A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen at the Delaware Botanic Gardens off Piney Neck Road in Dagsboro. VESPER SPARROW was seen at Ponder’s Road near Ellendale. A HOODED WARBLER was at Chapel Branch Nature Center. Over a dozen PINE SISKINS are still coming to a feeder near Lincoln. The three species of easter Goatsucker, EASTERN WHIPPOORWILL, CHUCK-WILL’S-WIDOW and COMMON NIGHTHAWK were reported at both Milford Neck Wildlife Area and at Cape Henlopen State Park.

I apologize if I missed some reports this week, it was very hectic! Thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including Phyllis Rawling, Ian Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Sally O’Byrne, Sheila Smith, Curt Davis, Don Friday, Wendy Spence, Ed Wrzesniewski, John Askildsen, Byron Swift, Scott Garrison, Jason Horn, Chris Hinkle, Ben Filries, David Fees, Greg Gough, Wendy Cesario, Sue Gruver, Nancy Cunningham, Debbie Blair, Andrew Albright, Richard Jullian, Alice Mohrman, Rob Blye, Chris Bennett, Frank Rohrbacher, Carolyn Holland, Rod Murray, Chris Rowe, John and Andy Dunn, Sally O’Byrne, Jim White, Bob Edelen, Ken Bass, Joe Francis, Melissa Lafferty, Kris Benarcik, Declan O’Neil, Mike Moore, Megan Kasprzak, Bruce Peterjohn, and Joe Swertinski. Special thanks to Joe Tricarico for distributing the Birdline to DOS members. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing !
you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 3:25 pm
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Saltmarsh sparrows?
My go to place for Salt marsh sparrow is the Marvel Saltmarsh Preserve
between Slaughter Beach Firehouse and the DuPont Nature Center on the west
side of the road. There is a boardwalk that curves around thru the marsh.
*better living through birds*
*Rob*
Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 2:47 PM m b <marlabeth...> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped me find the Shockley Road puddle! I'm on my
> way there now, and it occurs to me that though I have seen Seaside sparrows
> at the DuPont nature center, I have never seen a saltmarsh sparrow. Does
> anyone have a particular idea about where is the best place to have a
> chance of seeing one? Thank you so much!
>
> MB visiting Bethany Beach
>
> Sent from my phone, so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying
> misspellings

> List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/9/24 11:47 am
From: m b <marlabeth...>
Subject: [de-birds] Saltmarsh sparrows?
Thanks to everyone who helped me find the Shockley Road puddle! I'm on my way there now, and it occurs to me that though I have seen Seaside sparrows at the DuPont nature center, I have never seen a saltmarsh sparrow. Does anyone have a particular idea about where is the best place to have a chance of seeing one? Thank you so much!

MB visiting Bethany Beach

Sent from my phone, so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying misspellings

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 12:22 pm
From: m b <marlabeth...>
Subject: [de-birds] Shockley Road phalarope
I was wondering if anyone has specific directions they'd be willing to share to the pond on Shockley Road with the continuing Wilson's phalarope. I know that locations on eBird are often sort of a pain in the behind, and so might not be exact. When I look on the map I don't see any sort of pond there, but maybe it's too small to be on a map.

I just don't want to drive all the way up there and not even be able to find any water! I noticed that there was a second Wilson's phalarope over near Bennett's Pier Beach, so I thought I could try for that one too. But I figured I'd ask if anyone had directions to the place on Shockley road.

Thanks!

MB, visiting Bethany Beach

Sent from my phone, so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying misspellings

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/8/24 11:30 am
From: Christopher Bennett <cpb2564...>
Subject: [de-birds] DOS Fieldtrip to Ted Harvey this Saturday
I will be leading a DOS Fieldtrip this Saturday from 8 am to Noon at the
Ted Harvey Wildlife Area. Ted Harvey offers a wide variety of habitats
including forest, freshwater impoundment and marsh, tidal marsh and
bayshore beach. Birds we should see and hear include migrant and resident
songbirds, herons, egrets and ibises, gulls and terns, shorebirds, raptors
and nesting and lingering waterfowl. The meeting spot is the handicapped
fishing pond (39 05 08.0N, 75 25 19.4W). Directions: Take SR1 from north
or south to Exit 91. Take RT 9 north to the first road on the right -
Kitts Hummock Road. Turn on to Kitts Hummock Road and follow for approx.
2.0 mi to the Wildlife Area entrance. Turn right and follow the dirt road
to the second road on the left (approx. 1.0 mi). Turn left and continue
approx. 0.2 mi to the parking lot which is on the left. We will be
driving and walking (up to a 3 or 4 miles) on the dirt roads within the
wildlife area. It should be clear and cool (temps not getting out of the
50s during the trip) with light north winds. Biting insects should be
pretty light though ticks appear to be pretty numerous in wild areas this
spring so insect repellent or permethrin treated pants are recommended.
There used to be a portable toilet at the fishing area - though I have not
been to Ted Harvey for a while so not sure if it is still there. The
closest public restrooms are at the St. Jones Reserve, located off Kitts
Hummock Road about 1.2 miles east of the Ted Harvey entrance Road. A
Conservation Access Pass is required to enter the Ted Harvey Wildlife
Area. There is no need to register or let me know you are coming. I plan
to be at the meeting location by 7:45 and we will likely bird for a bit
around the fishing area if you are running late. I hope you can join me.

Chris Bennett
Milford, DE

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 5:10 pm
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, May 3rd, 2024
* Delaware
* Statewide
* May 3, 2024
* DEST 2024.05.03

*Birds mentioned
BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
Brant
Tundra Swan
Mute Swan
Black Swan
Lesser Scaup
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chuck-Will’s-Widow
Common Nighthawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Black-billed Cuckoo
Sora
Virginia Rail
King Rail
YELLOW RAIL
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Whimbrel
Ruddy Turnstone
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Red Knot
RUFF/REEVE
Least Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Wilson’s Snipe
Wilson’ Phalarope
Parasitic Jaeger
BLACK-HEADED GULL
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Least tern
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Royal Tern
Black Skimmer
Common Loon
Red-throated Loon
Northern Gannet
Brown Pelican
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Glossy ibis
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagle
Barn Owl
Barred Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Least Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Common Raven
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Brown-headed Nuthatch
SEDGE WREN
Veery
Swainson’s Thrush
American Pipit
Pine Siskin
Purple Finch
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Lincoln’s Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Bobolink
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
Yellow-breasted Chat
Hooded Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Black and White Warbler
Nashville Warber
Kentucky Warbler
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Wilson’s Warbler
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted grosbeak

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: May 3, 2024
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, May 3rd, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science in Greenville. The Birdline is the rare bird alert for The First State sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors. The unofficial Delaware State Year List increased to 291 species this week with 19 new additions. New birds this week included RED KNOT, WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER, BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, COMMON NIGHTHAWK, EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, LEAST, WILLOW and ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, VEERY, SWANSON’S THRUSH, YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT and more! Additionally, there were 26 species of WARBLER seen including CHESTNUT-SIDED, BLACKBURNIAN, BLACKPOLL, KENTUCKY, and WILSON’S. Some common migrants going through right now included YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, SPOTTED and SOLITARY SANDPIPER, SCARLET TANAGER, ROSE-BREATED GROSBEAK, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA, plus BLACK-THROATED BLUE and BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS.

A REEVE, aka female RUFF, was found at Thousand Acre Marsh on Wednesday. This bird was seen on the mudflats at the south end of the Reedy Point Bridge along Route 9. Other shorebirds included GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, SHART-BILLED DOWITCHER, LEAST and PECTORAL SANDPIPER. A COMMON GALLINULE was seen by the spillway. There was a remarkably high count of 34 BALD EAGLES spread out over the marsh.

The previously reported YELLOW RAIL continues to be heard doing its distinctive call notes along Bennett’s Pier Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area. Other night birds reported included COMMON GALLINULES at Port Penn impoundments and at Big Stone Beach. SORA was reported at Thousand Acre Marsh, Main Tract of Little Creek Wildlife Area, and Big Stone Beach. KING RAIL was reported at Dragon Run in Delaware City, Reedy Point Bridge, and Broadkill Marsh. AMERICAN BITTERN was found at Canal Pond and LEAST BITTERNS were reported at Greer’s Pond, Bombay Hook and Big Stone Beach. The first COMMON NIGHTHAWKS of the year were found at Port Penn and in Wilmington at Brandywine Park. CHUCK-WILL’S-WIDOW and WHIPPOORWILL were reported at Milford Neck Wildlife Area and Prime Hook.

At White Clay Creek State Park in Newark, a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO was photographed along Wedgewood Road. A HOODED WARBLER was heard along Creek Road. VIREOS reported included BLUE-HEADED, YELLOW-THROATED and WARBLING VIREO. An adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen along Hillside Road in Newark near the Rodney Dorms. A WILSON’S WARBLER was found today at the University of Delaware Ag Farm, along with BOBOLINK, GRASSHOPPER and SAVANNAH SPARROW. There were flyover COMMON LOONS seen at Middle Run Natural Area. COMMON RAVEN was reported this week from Newark, Smyrna and the Dover Downs Race Track.

HOODED and NASHVILLE WARBLER were found at Bellevue State Park today. A PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was found today at Smith’s Bridge in First State National Historical Park. A female COMMON MERGANSER was found at Thompson’s Bridge in Brandywine Creek State Park. A SUMMER TANAGER was recorded at Brandywine Park in downtown Wilmington. The fate of the PEREGRINE FALCON eggs is still ongoing at the Brandywine Building in Wilmington. One of the five eggs was shoved off the nest and the new male does not appear to be incubating.

The first WILLOW FLYCATCHER of the year was reported at Joy Run near Summit Bridge today. Near Delaware City, BOBOLINK, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and CATTLE EGRETS were seen at Clark’s Corner Road. A pair of TUNDRA SWANS were seen at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area. SANDHILL CRANES were seen at Augustine Creek. CLIFF SWALLOWS were reported at Appoquinmink Creek and at Flemmings Landing along the Smyrna River. A BARN OWL was heard at Stave’s Landing Road. Another RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was reported at the White’s Road Tract in Blackbird State Forest, not far from where they were first seen at the Naudain Tract along Saw Mill Road.

BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS have returned to the Amalfi Road retention pond off Underwoods Corner Road near Clayton. A single BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK was seen at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, along with the continuing presumed escaped BLACK SWAN. A LESSER SCAUP was seen at Shearness Pool on Saturday with RUDDY DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, VIRGINIA RAIL, and AMERICAN COOT. A possible PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER was reported but not confirmed this week, along with BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER. Other shorebirds seen included WHIMBRELS at Raymond Pool today, the first WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER of the year, plus BLACK-NECKED STILT, AMERICAN AVOCET, LONG-BILLED and SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, and CASPIAN TERN. There were 3 SANDHILL CRANES seen flying over, plus TRICOLORED and LITTLE BLUE HERON, BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, and GLOSSY and WHITE IBIS. TURKEY and NORTHERN BOBWHITE were found by the Visitor Center. Some late lingerers included DARK-EYED JUNCO, W!
HITE-CROWNED SPARROW, PURPLE FINCH and AMERICAN PIPIT. A BLACK-HEADED GULL was seen today just outside the refuge along Parson Point Lane.

SEDGE WRENS continue to be found along Bennett’s Pier Road and Big Stone Beach Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were found along the Big Stone Beach Road. WHITE IBIS and NORTHERN HARRIER were seen over the marsh. BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, BARN and BARRED OWLS were reported calling at night.

A male WILSON’S PHALAROPE was seen at a farm puddle along Shockley Road off Cedar Beach Road (Route 36) near Slaughters Beach yesterday, along with LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, PECTORAL SANDPIPER and other shorebirds. An adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON was seen catching crabs at the North Slaughters Beach Pond. The first RED KNOTS wee seen at Mispillion Inlet, along with AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, RUDDY TURNSTONE and a lingering PURPLE SANDPIPER. WHITE IBIS were seen flying over the nature center.

Lots of shorebirds are still being seen at Oyster Rocks Road in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge including AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, STILT SANDPIPER, and WILSON’S SNIPE. A small raptor migration included MERLIN and AMERICAN KESTREL at Oyster Rocks. WHITE IBIS were photographed flying over and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and EASTERN MEADOWLARK were seen in the fields.

At Cape Henlopen State Park, there was a peak count of 23 WHIMBREL on Wednesday. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING PLOVER, plus COMMON, ROYAL, LEAST TERN and BLACK SKIMMER at Cape Henlopen Point. A single PARASITIC JAEGER was seen today, along with NORTHERN GANNET, LONG-TAILED DUCK, HORNED GREBE, RED-THROATED and COMMON LOON. A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen flying over the hawk watch. WARBLING VIREO was photographed at the Primitive Youth Campground, BLUE-HEADED VIREO and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were reported at the Seaside Nature Center. Migrant swallows included the first BANK SWALLOWS for the season. A tour boat to the outer breakwater from Lewes last weekend found WHITE-WINGED, BLACK, and SURF SCOTER, BRANT, OYSTERCATCHER, TURNSTONE, 40 PURPLE SANDPIPERS, 7 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS, BROWN PELICAN and 44 GLOSSY IBIS.

A singing LINCOLN’S SPARROW was heard at the McCabe Preserve on Saturday. PINE SISKINS were reported at Angola Neck, Millsboro, Redden State Forest and Lincoln. A late RUSTY BLACKBIRD was reported at James Farm Eco-Preserve. The first PEWEE of the season was reported at the Nanticoke Wildlife near Laurel. Redden Sate Forest reported KENTUCKY and NASHVILLE WARBLER, SUMMER TANAGER, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.

I’d like to thanks all you folks that helped me get through this week, its great to be in a community that supports each other. Thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including Shai Mitra, Andy Markel, Jason Horn, Calab Strand, Gary Griffith, Jessica Shahan, Lloyd Maier, Lisa Smith, Kitt Heckscher, Martin Selzer, Jeremy Cushing, Eli Hevalone, Tracey Paxson, Al Guarente, Chris Hinkle, Ben Filries, David Fees, Greg Gough, Wendy Cesario, Sue Gruver, Nancy Cunningham, Debbie Blair, Andrew Albright, Steve and Susan McInnis, Theresa Wolanin, Richard Jullian, Alice Mohrman, Rob Blye, Lynn Gulla, Teddy Burke, Kevin Bronson, Chris Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Frank Rohrbacher, Carolyn Holland, Rod Murray, Chris Rowe, John and Andy Dunn, Sally O’Byrne, Jim White, Bob Edelen, Lynn Kohler, Ken Bass, Armas Hill, David Weber, Joe Francis, Melissa Lafferty, Kris Benarcik, Declan O’Neil, Mike Moore, Megan Kasprzak, Bruce Peterjohn, Carol Ralph, and Joe Swertinski. Spe!
cial thanks to Joe Tricarico for distributing the Birdline to DOS members. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 10:02 am
From: Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...>
Subject: [de-birds] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

I am posting my annual opportunity to participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs. I am trying to determine the nature of migratory pathways taken by different song populations of Mourning Warbler males during their spring migration. I am continuing to collect your recordings and plot them on a map of North America to determine if and where birds with different song types (regiolects) separate from each other during spring migration. The most current map of songs of migrants is at the web site below.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5

All you need is a Smartphone and a singing Mourning Warbler. You can send the recordings to my e-mail address (jpitocch AT anselm.edu). The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

This year is the 10th and final year of data collection. I very much appreciate your past and present contributions to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli
Professor Emeritus
Biology Department
Saint Anselm College
Manchester, NH 03102

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 4:37 am
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 26th, 2024 (Revised)
My apology, forgot to send this out in plain text.

* Delaware
* Statewide
* April 26, 2024
* DEST 2024.04.26

*Birds mentioned
BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
Brant
Snow Goose
Black Swan
Mute Swan
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
American Wigeon
Gadwall
Lesser Scaup
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
EARED GREBE
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chuck’s-will-Widow
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Sora
Virginia Rail
King Rail
YELLOW RAIL
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Whimbrel
Ruddy Turnstone
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Willet
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Red Knot
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Wilson’s Snipe
Wilson’ Phalarope
Bonaparte’s Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Least tern
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Royal Tern
Common Loon
Red-throated Loon
Northern Gannet
Brown Pelican
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Glossy ibis
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Broad-winged Hawk
Barred Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Great Crested Flycatcher
Common Raven
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
SEDGE WREN
Wood Thrush
Pine Siskin
Vesper Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Worm-eating Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Black and White Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Nashville Warber
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Indigo Bunting
Rose-breasted grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
EVENNG GROSBEAK

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: April 26, 2024
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, April 19th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science in Greenville. The Birdline is the rare bird alert for The First State sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors. The unofficial Delaware State Year List increased to 271 species this week with 15 new additions. New birds this week included SEMIPALMATED, SPOTTED and SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, SUMMER TANAGER, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK and more! Please be aware that this is Race Weekend at Dover Downs Racetrack, expect extra traffic and possible delays.

Migrants arriving included GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, BLUE-HEADED and WARBLING VIREO, WOOD THRUSH, NORTHERN PARULA, plus BLUE-WINGED, YELLOW, BLACK AND WHITE, PRIARIE, PALM, and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS. The first NASHVILLE WARBLERS were reported at First State National Historical Park off Ramsey Road and the Jester Tract in Redden State Forest. A HOODED WARBLER was seen at the Headquarters Tract in Redden State Forest. The first AMERICAN REDSTART was reported in Georgetown. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was reported at Abbott’s Mill Nature Center in Milford, Bombay Hook, Killen’s Pond State Park, and the Naudain Tract in Blackbird State Forest. WORM-EATING WARBLER was reported the Oak Hill Tract of Blackbird. An early MAGNOLIA WARBLER was reported on Wednesday at Gordon’s Pond State Park. An early BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER was heard at White Clay Creek State Park.

New this week was a YELLOW RAIL calling Saturday night at Bennett’s Pier Road. This bird was heard calling after dark intermittently all week. The YELLOW RAIL was heard just past the ditch on the south side of the road. SORA, KING and VIRGINIA RAIL were found at Big Stone Beach Road along with LEAST and AMERICAN BITTERN, EASTERN WHIPPOORWILL and CHUCKS-WILL-WIDOW. The previously reported SEDGE WREN continues to be seen at the little wooden bridge at Big Stone, in Milford Neck Wildlife Area.

SORA was also found along the Pickering Beach Road, Port Mahon impoundments of Little Creek Wildlife Area, Augustine Creek near Port Penn, and at Thousand Acre Marsh along Dutch Neck Road. KING RAIL was at Dragon Run along Cox Neck Road in Delaware City and at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. The first COMMON GALLINULE of the year was seen at Turkles Pond in Prime Hook and photographed at the Port Penn impoundments in Augustine Wildlife Refuge. A surprising WHIPPOORWILL was heard calling at the Peterson Urban Wildlife Refuge on Sunday evening. CHUCK’S-WILL WIDOW was also heard at Cape Henlopen State Park and Angola Neck near Rehoboth Beach.

The previously reported breeding plumage EARED GREBE was last reported on Monday at the Harbor of Refuge from the fishing pier in Cape Henlopen, along with HORNED GREBE, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, COMMON and RED-THROATED LOON. PARASITIC JAEGERS were seen from the Cape Henlopen Hawk Watch, along with BROWN PELICAN, NORTHERN GANNETS, LONG-TAILED DUCK, BRANT, plus SURF, and BLACK SCOTERS. A SANDHILL CRANE was seen flying over on Monday, after previously being seen at Cape May heading across Delaware Bay. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING PLOVER, WHIMBREL, and SOLITARY SANDPIPER, along with LEAST, COMMON, and ROYAL TERN were seen at Cape Henlopen Point. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was seen at the Seaside Nature Center. GREEN HERON, GLOSSY and WHITE IBIS were seen along the Gordon’s Pond. PURPLE SANDPIPER and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL were seen from the Cape May-Lewes Ferry.

BRANT, LONG-TAILED DUCK, NORTHERN GANNET, and BROWN PELICAN were seen at Indian River Inlet. A pair of YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS were seen sitting on the posts along the Burton’s Island causeway, along with SPOTTED SANDPIPER, AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, and MERLIN. A TRICOLORED HERON was seen at Thompson’s Island in Delaware Seashore State Park near Dewey Beach.

A WILSON’S PHALAROPE in non-breeding plumage was found at Oyster Rocks Road in Prime Hook. Other shorebirds reported included BLACK-NECKED STILT, LEAST, STILT, and PECTORAL SANDPIPER, plus SHORT-BILLED and LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS along with CATTLE EGRET, YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON and AMERICAN BITTERN. New for the year was a group of 4 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS at a private pond near Harbeson. These are the only local WHISTLING-DUCK in the area besides a single bird in Lancaster. The first YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO of the year was reported at Greenwood. PINE SISKINS are still coming to several feeders in Sussex Co. A RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was found at Redden State Forest. VESPER and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, BLUE GROSBEAK and AMERICAN KESTREL were reported at Ponders Road near Ellendale.

There was a big flock of 27 WILLETS reported at Mispillion Inlet from the DuPont Nature Center, along with the first SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and RED KNOT of the year. Other shorebirds seen included AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, CASPIAN TERN, BONAPARTE’S and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH continues to be seen along the Big Stone Beach Road. AMERICAN AVOCET, GLOSSY IBIS, LITTLE BLUE and GREEN HERON were seen in the Big Stone marsh. The first SCARLET TANAGER of the season was seen at Killen’s Pond State Park. SUMMER TANAGERS were seen in Millsboro, Redden State Forest, Trap Pond State Park and Nanticoke wildlife area near Laurel. Waterfowl at the Port Mahon impoundments at Little Creek Wildlife Area included LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDY DUCK and a count of over a hundred GADWALLS along with BLACK-NECKED STILT and GLOSSY IBIS.

A BLACK SWAN was found at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna on Tuesday. This might be the same bird that was seen near Harrington last month. A native of Australia, this bird I thought to be an exotic. There was a BLACK SWAN at Carousel Park near Wilmington about 10 years ago, but that bird was killed by vandals. Other waterfowl seen included MUTE SWAN, WOOD DUCK, SNOW GOOSE, COMMON MERGANSER, RUDDY DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and AMERICAN COOT. A SANDHILL CRANE continues to be seen in the field behind the new visitor’s center. Shorebirds seen included AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED, and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, WILSON’S SNIPE, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, and WHIMBREL. There was a peak count of 49 BLACK-CROWNED and a single adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON at the Beaver Pond.

The Heron Census at Veteran’s Park in Delaware City on Wednesday evening reported 91 LITTLE BLUES, 157 SNOWY EGRET, 112 CATTLE EGRETS, 133 GREAT EGRETS, 43 GLOSSY IBIS along with BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, PEREGRINE FALCON, BALD EAGLE and OSPREY. SANDHILL CRANES were also seen at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area. Along with an AMERICAN WIGEON. BLUE-WINGED TEAL was seen at Thousand Acre Marsh. LITTLE BLUE AND GREEN HERON were at Greer’s Pond along Dutch Neck Road. CLIFF SWALLOWS were at Appoquinmink Bridge near Odessa. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was at the Naudain Tract. EASTERN MEADOWLARK, GRASSHOPPER and SAVANAH SPARROW plus AMERICAN KESTREL were seen at Price’s Park in Middletown.

COMMON RAVEN was reported at the University of Delaware Ag Farm. BARRED OWL and INDIGO BUNTING were found at Middle Run Natural Area. PINE SISKIN and another RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen coming to a feeder in Newark. A hen HOODED MERGANSER continues at Glasgow Park. COMMON LOONS were seen flying over Ashland Nature Center. A remarkable report of 3 EVENING GROSBEAKS were seen at Cokesbury Village in Hockessin. A BROAD-WINGED HAWK was seen at First State. RUSTY BLACKBIRD was reported at Bellevue State Park. ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was found at Winterthur Museum and gardens. A WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW was found at Cherry Island Landfill.

Thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including Chris Hinkle, Ben Filries, David Fees, Greg Gough, Lew Scharpf, Clive Harris, Patricia Deventer, Brooke Cherry, Gerry Teig, Barbara Conway, Katie Bird, Thuy Dong, Wendy Cesario, Sue Gruver, Nancy Cunningham, Richard Jullian, Alice Mohrman, Rob Blye, Lynn Gulla, Teddy Burke, Kevin Bronson, Chris Bennett, Frank Rohrbacher, Carolyn Holland, Rod Murray, Chris Rowe, John and Andy Dunn, Judy Montgomery, Sally O’Byrne, Jim White, Doug Batt, Dick Plambeck, Bob Edelen, Linda Rosenberg, Julia Tanner, Lynn Kohler, Ken Bass, David Weber, Cole Tiemann, Joe Francis, Melissa Lafferty, Kris Benarcik, Declan O’Neil, Mike Moore, Megan Kasprzak, Curt Davis, Bruce Peterjohn, Carol Ralph, and Joe Swertinski. Special thanks to Joe Tricarico for distributing the Birdline to DOS members. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wi!
shing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 6:43 pm
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 26th, 2024
* Delaware* Statewide* April 26, 2024* DEST 2024.04.26  *Birds mentionedBLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKBrantSnow GooseBlack SwanMute SwanWood DuckBlue-winged TealAmerican WigeonGadwallLesser ScaupSurf ScoterWhite-winged ScoterBlack ScoterLong-tailed DuckBuffleheadHooded Merganser Common MerganserRed-breasted MerganserRuddy DuckPied-billed GrebeHorned GrebeEARED GREBEEastern WhippoorwillChuck’s-will-WidowYellow-billed CuckooSoraVirginia RailKing RailYELLOW RAILCommon GallinuleAmerican CootSandhill CraneAmerican OystercatcherBlack-necked StiltAmerican AvocetBlack-bellied PloverAmerican Golden PloverSemipalmated PloverPiping PloverWhimbrelRuddy Turnstone Spotted SandpiperSolitary SandpiperWilletShort-billed DowitcherLong-billed DowitcherRed KnotSemipalmated SandpiperPectoral SandpiperStilt SandpiperPurple SandpiperWilson’s SnipeWilson’ PhalaropeBonaparte’s GullLesser Black-backed GullLeast ternCaspian TernCommon TernRoyal TernCommon LoonRed-throated LoonNorthern GannetBrown PelicanAmerican BitternLeast BitternGreat EgretSnowy EgretLittle Blue HeronTricolored HeronCattle EgretGreen HeronYellow-crowned Night HeronBlack-crowned Night HeronWhite IbisGlossy ibisOspreyBald EagleBroad-winged HawkBarred OwlRed-headed WoodpeckerAmerican KestrelMerlinPeregrine FalconGreat Crested FlycatcherCommon RavenBlue-headed VireoWarbling VireoRed-breasted NuthatchBrown-headed NuthatchSEDGE WRENWood ThrushPine SiskinVesper SparrowGrasshopper SparrowWhite-crowned SparrowEastern MeadowlarkRusty BlackbirdBaltimore OrioleOrchard OrioleWorm-eating WarblerHooded WarblerProthonotary WarblerAmerican RedstartBlack and White WarblerBlue-winged WarblerNashville WarberMagnolia WarblerYellow WarblerYellow-throated WarblerPalm WarblerPine WarblerPrairie WarblerBlack-throated Blue WarblerSummer TanagerScarlet TanagerIndigo BuntingRose-breasted grosbeakBlue GrosbeakEVENNG GROSBEAK Hotline: Birdline DelawareDate: April 26, 2024To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, SouthernNew Jersey, Maryland For Friday, April 19th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science in Greenville. The Birdline is the rare bird alert for The First State sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors. The unofficial Delaware State Year List increased to 271 species this week with 15 new additions.  New birds this week included SEMIPALMATED, SPOTTED and SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, SUMMER TANAGER, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK and more! Please be aware that this is Race Weekend at Dover Downs Racetrack, expect extra traffic and possible delays.  Migrants arriving included GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, BLUE-HEADED and WARBLING VIREO, WOOD THRUSH, NORTHERN PARULA, plus BLUE-WINGED, YELLOW, BLACK AND WHITE, PRIARIE, PALM, and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS. The first NASHVILLE WARBLERS were reported at First State National Historical Park off Ramsey Road and the Jester Tract in Redden State Forest. A HOODED WARBLER was seen at the Headquarters Tract in Redden State Forest. The first AMERICAN REDSTART was reported in Georgetown. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was reported at Abbott’s Mill Nature Center in Milford, Bombay Hook, Killen’s Pond State Park, and the Naudain Tract in Blackbird State Forest. WORM-EATING WARBLER was reported the Oak Hill Tract of Blackbird. An early MAGNOLIA WARBLER was reported on Wednesday at Gordon’s Pond State Park. An early BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER was heard at White Clay Creek State Park.  New this week was a YELLOW RAIL calling Saturday night at Bennett’s Pier Road. This bird was heard calling after dark intermittently all week. The YELLOW RAIL was heard just past the ditch on the south side of the road. SORA, KING and VIRGINIA RAIL were found at Big Stone Beach Road along with LEAST and AMERICAN BITTERN, EASTERN WHIPPOORWILL and CHUCKS-WILL-WIDOW. The previously reported SEDGE WREN continues to be seen at the little wooden bridge at Big Stone, in Milford Neck Wildlife Area.  SORA was also found along the Pickering Beach Road, Port Mahon impoundments of Little Creek Wildlife Area, Augustine Creek near Port Penn, and at Thousand Acre Marsh along Dutch Neck Road. KING RAIL was at Dragon Run along Cox Neck Road in Delaware City and at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. The first COMMON GALLINULE of the year was seen at Turkles Pond in Prime Hook and photographed at the Port Penn impoundments in Augustine Wildlife Refuge. A surprising WHIPPOORWILL was heard calling at the Peterson Urban Wildlife Refuge on Sunday evening. CHUCK’S-WILL WIDOW was also heard at Cape Henlopen State Park and Angola Neck near Rehoboth Beach.  The previously reported breeding plumage EARED GREBE was last reported on Monday at the Harbor of Refuge from the fishing pier in Cape Henlopen, along with HORNED GREBE, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, COMMON and RED-THROATED LOON. PARASITIC JAEGERS were seen from the Cape Henlopen Hawk Watch, along with BROWN PELICAN, NORTHERN GANNETS, LONG-TAILED DUCK, BRANT, plus SURF, and BLACK SCOTERS. A SANDHILL CRANE was seen flying over on Monday, after previously being seen at Cape May heading across Delaware Bay. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING PLOVER, WHIMBREL, and SOLITARY SANDPIPER, along with LEAST, COMMON, and ROYAL TERN were seen at Cape Henlopen Point. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was seen at the Seaside Nature Center. GREEN HERON, GLOSSY and WHITE IBIS were seen along the Gordon’s Pond. PURPLE SANDPIPER and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL were seen from the Cape May-Lewes Ferry.  BRANT, LONG-TAILED DUCK, NORTHERN GANNET, and BROWN PELICAN were seen at Indian River Inlet. A pair of YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS were seen sitting on the posts along the Burton’s Island causeway, along with SPOTTED SANDPIPER, AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, and MERLIN. A TRICOLORED HERON was seen at Thompson’s Island in Delaware Seashore State Park near Dewey Beach.  A WILSON’S PHALAROPE in non-breeding plumage was found at Oyster Rocks Road in Prime Hook. Other shorebirds reported included BLACK-NECKED STILT, LEAST, STILT, and PECTORAL SANDPIPER, plus SHORT-BILLED and LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS along with CATTLE EGRET, YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON and AMERICAN BITTERN. New for the year was a group of 4 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS at a private pond near Harbeson. These are the only local WHISTLING-DUCK in the area besides a single bird in Lancaster. The first YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO of the year was reported at Greenwood. PINE SISKINS are still coming to several feeders in Sussex Co. A RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was found at Redden State Forest. VESPER and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, BLUE GROSBEAK and AMERICAN KESTREL were reported at Ponders Road near Ellendale.   There was a big flock of 27 WILLETS reported at Mispillion Inlet from the DuPont Nature Center, along with the first SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and RED KNOT of the year. Other shorebirds seen included AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, CASPIAN TERN, BONAPARTE’S and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL.  RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH continues to be seen along the Big Stone Beach Road. AMERICAN AVOCET, GLOSSY IBIS, LITTLE BLUE and GREEN HERON were seen in the Big Stone marsh. The first SCARLET TANAGER of the season was seen at Killen’s Pond State Park. SUMMER TANAGERS were seen in Millsboro, Redden State Forest, Trap Pond State Park and Nanticoke wildlife area near Laurel. Waterfowl at the Port Mahon impoundments at Little Creek Wildlife Area included LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDY DUCK and a count of over a hundred GADWALLS along with BLACK-NECKED STILT and GLOSSY IBIS.  A BLACK SWAN was found at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna on Tuesday. This might be the same bird that was seen near Harrington last month. A native of Australia, this bird I thought to be an exotic. There was a BLACK SWAN at Carousel Park near Wilmington about 10 years ago, but that bird was killed by vandals. Other waterfowl seen included MUTE SWAN, WOOD DUCK, SNOW GOOSE, COMMON MERGANSER, RUDDY DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and AMERICAN COOT. A SANDHILL CRANE continues to be seen in the field behind the new visitor’s center. Shorebirds seen included AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED, and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, WILSON’S SNIPE, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, and WHIMBREL. There was a peak count of 49 BLACK-CROWNED and a single adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON at the Beaver Pond.  The Heron Census at Veteran’s Park in Delaware City on Wednesday evening reported 91 LITTLE BLUES, 157 SNOWY EGRET, 112 CATTLE EGRETS, 133 GREAT EGRETS, 43 GLOSSY IBIS along with BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, PEREGRINE FALCON, BALD EAGLE and OSPREY. SANDHILL CRANES were also seen at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area. Along with an AMERICAN WIGEON. BLUE-WINGED TEAL was seen at Thousand Acre Marsh. LITTLE BLUE AND GREEN HERON were at Greer’s Pond along Dutch Neck Road. CLIFF SWALLOWS were at Appoquinmink Bridge near Odessa. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was at the Naudain Tract. EASTERN MEADOWLARK, GRASSHOPPER and SAVANAH SPARROW plus AMERICAN KESTREL were seen at Price’s Park in Middletown.  COMMON RAVEN was reported at the University of Delaware Ag Farm. BARRED OWL and INDIGO BUNTING were found at Middle Run Natural Area. PINE SISKIN and another RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen coming to a feeder in Newark. A hen HOODED MERGANSER continues at Glasgow Park. COMMON LOONS were seen flying over Ashland Nature Center. A remarkable report of 3 EVENING GROSBEAKS were seen at Cokesbury Village in Hockessin. A BROAD-WINGED HAWK was seen at First State. RUSTY BLACKBIRD was reported at Bellevue State Park. ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was found at Winterthur Museum and gardens. A WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW was found at Cherry Island Landfill. Thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including Chris Hinkle, Ben Filries, David Fees, Greg Gough, Lew Scharpf, Clive Harris, Patricia Deventer, Brooke Cherry, Gerry Teig, Barbara Conway, Katie Bird, Thuy Dong, Wendy Cesario, Sue Gruver, Nancy Cunningham, Richard Jullian, Alice Mohrman, Rob Blye, Lynn Gulla, Teddy Burke, Kevin Bronson, Chris Bennett, Frank Rohrbacher, Carolyn Holland, Rod Murray, Chris Rowe, John and Andy Dunn, Judy Montgomery, Sally O’Byrne, Jim White, Doug Batt, Dick Plambeck, Bob Edelen, Linda Rosenberg, Julia Tanner, Lynn Kohler, Ken Bass, David Weber, Cole Tiemann, Joe Francis, Melissa Lafferty, Kris Benarcik, Declan O’Neil, Mike Moore, Megan Kasprzak, Curt Davis, Bruce Peterjohn, Carol Ralph, and Joe Swertinski. Special thanks to Joe Tricarico for distributing the Birdline to DOS members. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding! -end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/26/24 9:11 am
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: [de-birds] Yard birds in lower Sussex County - the RTHU show of a lifetime
Yesterday morning we were entertained by at least two male ruby-throated
hummingbirds for several hours then a lone female in the afternoon. The
males reminded us of frenzied feeder activity seen previously in Arizona or
New Mexico, but never in Delaware or Pennsylvania.

We very briefly saw four hummers at once, so the two we saw frequently
could have been four or more taking turns at the feeders. In our front
garden we have three robustly blooming azaleas, bright pinkish red, and
some orangish red nasturtiums in pots, plus three sugar water feeders. The
hummers used the flowers and the feeders often with one at a feeder and one
at the flowers. The unique aspect of our observation was that the RTHU
males tolerated each other's presence more than we had ever seen. They
even shared a perch only 6-in apart for very brief periods and did not dive
bomb the other while it fed, at least not all the time. Plus at least one
took a bite from the suet feeder on the same pole as the hummer feeders.

I was wearing a bright, scarlet red T-shirt while I stood next to a window
overlooking the garden. One of the birds tapped the glass trying to get a
better look at the huge red flower it saw through the window.

The show lasted for almost 2 hours. We then went to do an errand when we
returned, the males were gone from the front but a lone female was using
one of the feeders in the backyard.

We have a regular collection of yard birds which includes a flock of up to
a dozen American goldfinches. Today they were accompanied by a lone pine
siskin, not the first one seen this week. Add to the mix two thrahsers, a
towhee, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, white throated and chipping
sparrows, carolina wrens, red-winged blackbirds and a crow -- our feeders
were busy.

The feeder show trumps the incessant news, if you know what I mean.

*better living through birds*
*Rob*
Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 4:29 pm
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] Brandywine Bird Walk on Saturday, April 27th
The monthly bird walk at Brandywine Creek State Park will be this Saturday. Birding starts from the park nature center at 8 am. Highlights will be early spring migrants, we saw Blue-headed Vireo and Black and White Warbler today. The walk will take about 3 hours over hilly terrain, bring water and bug spray. The walk is free but park fees are in place, $4 for in-state, $8 for out-of-state cars, and free with annual park pass.
 Good birding, Andy

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 7:47 am
From: Andrew Ednie <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, April 19th, 2024
* Delaware
* Statewide
* April 19, 2024
* DEST 2024.04.19

*Birds mentioned
Brant
Snow Goose
Mute Swan
Blue-winged Teal
American W igeon
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Surf Scoter
Black Scoter
HARLEQUIN DUCK
Long-tailed Duck
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chuck-will’s-widow
Sora
Virginia Rail
King Rail
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
WHIMBREL
Ruddy Turnstone
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Wilson’s Snipe
Bonaparte’s Gull
Iceland Gull
Parasitic Jaeger
Common Tern
Caspian Tern
Royal Tern
Black Skimmer
Red-throated Loon
PACIFIC LOON
Northern Gannet
Brown Pelican
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Broad-winged Hawk
Barred Owl
Short-eared Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Common Raven
Blue-headed Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Marsh Wren
SEDGE WREN
Wood Thrush
Pine Siskin
Purple Finch
Seaside Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Rusty Blackbird
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush
Orange-crowned Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Indigo Bunting
DICKCISSEL
Blue Grosbeak

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: April 19, 2024
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, April 19th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science in Greenville. The Birdline is the rare bird alert for The First State sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors. The unofficial Delaware State Year List increased to 256 species this week with 20 new additions. New birds this week included CHIMNEY SWIFT, CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW, WHIMBREL, COMMON TERN, PARASITIC JAEGER, LEAST BITTERN, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, RED-EYED, YELLOW-THROATED, and WARBLING VIREO, BANK and CLIFF SWALLOW, WOOD THRUSH, VESPER and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, ORCHARD ORIOLE, SCARLET TANAGER, and BLUE GROSBEAK. Additionally, OVENBIRD, LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, plus BLACK AND WHITE, PRAIRIE, PALM, PINE and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS were seen in several locations. Please be aware at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, the Bear Swamp auto-tour loop is now temporarily closed to protect the wildlife.

A total of 17 species of WARBLER were reported. The first NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH of the year was found at the North Gordon’s Pond Trail at Cape Henlopen State Park. A HOODED WARBLER was heard calling along Raymond Neck Road in Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. The first NORTHERN PARULA was found along White Clay Creek in Newark. YELLOW WARBLER was reported at Sherwood Park, Augustine Wildlife Area in Port Penn and Bombay Hook. PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS are being seen all over Sussex Co. including Turkle’s Pond in Prime Hook, Redden State Forrest, and Trap Pond State Park, plus as far north at the Naudain Tract off Saw Mill Road in Blackbird State Forrest.

A breeding plumage PACIFIC LOON was seen at the Cape Henlopen Hawk Watch yesterday. This is the third consecutive year suggesting this might be the same returning bird. The offshore flight at Cape Henlopen State Park included 2 PARASITIC JAEGERS, immature ICELAND GULL, and 3 WHIMBRELS, plus a high count of 466 RED-THROATED LOONS and 1000+ NORTHERN GANNETS. COMMON, FORSTER’S, and ROYAL TERN were seen at Cape Henlopen Point, along with AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, BROWN PELICAN, LESSER SCAUP, SURF and BLACK SCOTER, BUFFLEHEAD and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. WILSON’S SNIPE, EASTERN KINGBIRD, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, and PURPLE FINCH were seen along the Walking Dunes Nature Trail. A flight of 35 WHITE IBIS was seen from the Cape Henlopen Hawk Watch. LITTLE BLUE HERON and an early SOLITARY SANDPIPER were seen at Gordon’s Pond. BRANT was seen from the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. In Delaware Seashore State Park, WHITE IBIS, TRICOLORED HERON and BLACK-CROWNED!
NIGHT HERON were seen at Burton’s Island causeway. BLUE-WINGED TEAL and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were reported at Assawoman Wildlife Area.

Good numbers of shorebirds were seen at Oyster Rocks Road in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Milton, including STILT and PECTORAL SANDPIPER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, WILLET, AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, along with GLOSSY and WHITE IBIS plus CATTLE EGRET. MERLIN and a surprising SHORT-EARED OWL was reported on Monday. HOODED MERGANSER was seen at Turkle’s Pond.

A female HARLEQUIN DUCK, plus SNOW GOOSE, SURF SCOTER, and LONG-TAILED DUCK were seen at Mispillion Inlet from the duPont Nature Center. A pair OF BLACK SKIMMERS and CASPIAN TERN were seen there on Tuesday, Shorebirds reported included PURPLE SANDPIPER on Wednesday, along with AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, WILLET, and BONEPARTE’S GULL. A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON with several BLACK-CROWN’S was seen at the North Slaughter Beach Pond opposite the Marvel Salt Marsh Preserve.

GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was reported at the McCabe Preserve near Milton. A VESPER SPARROW was seen a Rementer–Rum Bridge Road near Georgetown. Both VESPER and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS were seen at Ponder Road near Ellendale today. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and PINE SISKIN were found at Redden State Forest. SISKINS were also reported at Angola Neck along with SCARLET TANAGER. PINE SISKIN, BALTIMORE ORIOLE and the first BLUE GROSBEAK of the year was seen at a feeder in Lincoln. The previously reported DICKCISSEL continues to visit a feeder off Bryant’s Corner Road in Camden-Wyoming. Numbers of RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS are now being seen throughout the state.

The first CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOWS were reported at Bay Forest in Bethany Beach, Assawoman Wildlife Area, and Milford Neck Wildlife Area, along with AMERICAN BITTERN at this latter location. EASTERN WHIPPOORWILL was found at Big Stone Beach and Prime Hook. One WHIPPOORWILL was heard calling as far north as the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area near Port Penn, a rare bird in New Castle Co. SORA, KING and VIRGINIA RAIL were found at Assawoman. SORA and VIRGINIA RAIL were heard calling at Big Stone Beach. KING RAIL continues to be calling at Dragon Run in Delaware City along Cox Neck Road. LEAST BITTERN, CATTLE EGRET, and LITTLE BLUE HERON were found at Greer’s Pond off Dutch Neck Road.

A SEDGE WREN was found today at the wooden bridge along the Big Stone Beach Road. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH, and BLUE-HEADED VIREO were seen at Milford Neck Wildlife Area. A lingering FOX SPARROW was reported at Killen’s Pond State Park near Frederica. An INDIGO BUNTING was reported at Little Creek Wildlife Area, along with BLUE-WINGED TEAL, LESSER SCAUP and HOODED MERGANSER. A CATTLE EGRET was seen along the S. Little Creek Road. A COMMON RAVEN was seen at Wheatley’s Pond in Clayton.

A WHIMBREL was seen today flying over Leatherbury Flats in Bombay Hook. Other shorebirds seen included BLACK-NECKED STILT, AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-BELLIED, SEMIPALMATED and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, WILLET, GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, LEAST and STILT SANDPIPER, WILSON’S SNIPE and LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER plus CASPIAN TERN. Waterfowl reported included SNOW GOOSE, MUTE SWAN, BLUE-WINGED TEAL, AMERICAN WIGEON, RING-NECKED DUCK, COMMON MERGANSER, RUDDY DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and AMERICAN COOT. The first RED-EYED VIREO of the year was seen at the Parson Point Trail. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON and GREEN HERON were seen at the Swimming Hole. A BROAD-WINGED HAWK was seen flying over the refuge on Wednesday.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS were reported at Naudain Tract off Saw Mill Road in Blackbird State Forest and at a feeder in Newark. BROWN CREEPER was also reported in Blackbird. CLIFF SWALLOWS have returned to the Appoquinmink Bridge off Route 9 near Odessa. SANDHILL CRANES were reported at Augustine Creek, the Ashton Tract at Port Penn, and Dragon Run. LESSER SCAUP and breeding plumage HORNED GREBE were seen at Augustine Beach.

An early WOOD THRUSH was heard calling at Middle Run Natural Area in Newark. COMMON RAVEN continues to be reported at Phillips Park. BLUE-HEADED VIREO, PURPLE FINCH and 5 species of WARBLER were reported at White Clay Creek State Park. INDIGO BUNTING was seen at Sherwood Park off Kirkwood Hwy. WARBLING VIREO and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW were seen at Cokesbury Village near Hockessin. CHIMNEY SWIFT was seen at Mt. Cuba. BARRED OWL was calling at Valley Garden Park near Greenville. RUSTY BLACKBIRD was seen at the Hermitage Natural Area in New Castle.

The PEREGRINE FALCONS continue to incubate clutch of 5 eggs at the nest box on the Brandywine Building, but there has been an intruder at the nest site. The original unbanded male seems to have left the area, replaced by a second banded male. While the female is still incubating, the second male currently has not sat on the eggs. There is still hope that the PEREGRINES will still successfully hatch their eggs.

Thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including Cole Tiemann, Lew Scharpf, Michael Lombardo, Jacque Williamson, Matthew Bell, Sally O’byrne, Jeff Gordon, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Barabra Jones, Michael McCloy, Dave Burgevin, Tracy Paxson, Brian Moyer, Ed Wrzesniewski, Ellen and Jake Jacobson, Ann Dinkel, David Fees, Ben Filries, Greg Gough, Wendy Cesario, Sue Gruver, Nancy Cunningham, Richard Jullian, Alice Mohrman, Rob Blye, Rachel Riberio, Lynn Gulla, Ryan Johnson, Blake Eric Adams, Brian McCraffrey, Ken Bass, Amy White, Karen and Chris Bennett, Frank Rohrbacher, Carolyn Holland, Rod Murray, Chris Rowe, John and Andy Dunn, Judy Montgomery, Joe Francis, Melissa Lafferty, Amy and Declan O’Neil, Mike Moore, Megan Kasprzak, Curt Davis, Mike Moore, Bruce Peterjohn, and Joe Swertinski. Special thanks to Joe Tricarico for distributing the Birdline to DOS members. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email ednieap@verizon!
.net. Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 9:21 am
From: Diane Freebery <chickadeedee25...>
Subject: [de-birds] New arrivals
Meant to email on Friday - had FOY Louisiana Waterthrush. Only heard it
that 1 day.

Yesterday and today have had Ruby-crowned kinglet singing in our yard
consistently.

Also just heard our first Ovenbird in the woodland behind our house.

Diane Freebery
South end of Middle Run Natural Area
Newark DE

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>