Date: 5/5/24 12:58 pm
From: Chris Anderson via groups.io <canderson1...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Newton Hills warblers
This morning I went for a run at Newton Hills State Park and then birded afterward - there were 11 species of warblers present in small numbers including two Blue-winged Warblers and for the sixth year in a row, a male Hooded Warbler. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, and Gray Catbirds were all over the C and D trails. Swainson's, Gray-cheeked, and Wood Thrush were also around.
On the way home, I drove by the marshes south and west of Worthing in Lincoln County. The wetland at 283rd St and 471st Ave was indeed wet again after our recent rains, and there were lots of Wilson's Phalaropes, both Yellowlegs, and a few Sora. In a flooded field just to the southeast of that intersection, there was a lone Hudsonian Godwit and a Black-bellied Plover.
Chris Anderson
Sioux Falls, SD