Date: 5/4/24 2:27 pm
From: Carl Ebeling via groups.io <Carl.Ebeling...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Franklin's Gull continues
The summer plumage FRANKLIN'S GULL (FRGU) and the immature BONAPARTE'S GULL
(BOGU) were both present and easily viewed at La Jolla Shores beach this
morning by a number of birders.

Between 7 am and 11 am, FRGU ranged as far north as the SIO pier, but spent
the majority of its time foraging between lifeguard towers 31 and 33.

The BOGU was observed several times during the morning, much along the same
length of beach as the FRGU.

Both individuals were present when I left around 11:15 am.

Note (I) that the FRGU appears to be easily flushed by dogs. Note (II)
that dogs are not allowed on the beach after 9 am.

Bird early and bird often,

Carl Ebeling
South Mission Hills/San Diego

On Sat, May 4, 2024 at 07:53 Mike Wittmer via groups.io <bumper1369=
<cox.net...> wrote:

> The Franklin Gull AND a Bonaparte’s Gull were North of tower 33 and then
> flew South of 31. It’s moving a lot because the beach is getting really
> busy with pets and people
>

> Mike Wittme
> Escondido

View/Reply Online (#15993): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15993
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .