Date: 5/4/24 11:35 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] San Vincente Redwoods
Hi birders,

Yesterday, May 3rd, I spent about 2 and 1/2 hours following the
"hu'-mǐs" (a.k.a.: Great Horned Owl) trail, at the San Vicente Redwoods
<https://landtrustsantacruz.org/protected-areas/san-vicente-redwoods>.
Although I did not see any rarities, it was very pleasant to walk the
trail and see a number of woodland birds. The path was fairly easy to
walk. The birds were singing and performing a variety of breeding
related activities. Some of the highlights, included seeing and/or
hearing some species for the first time this year, including:

BLACK-THROATED GREY WARBLER

CASSIN'S VIREO

MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER

To be fair, I never saw the CASSIN'S VIREO, nor the MACGILLIVRAY'S
WARBLER, but was able to listen and record their calls and song, for an
extended period of time. The CASSIN'S VIREOs were fairly high up in the
canopy. The MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER was just out of view from the trail,
but much lower in brushier type habitat.

Here's the ebird list with meh, to poor documentary photos:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S171738746

I might try to add some recordings of the Cassin's and MacGillivray's
later.

Finally, thanks to David Fickle. He was one of the first, to tell me
about this great birding location some time back, and encourage me to go.

Good birding,

Pete Solé

Soquel, CA