Date: 4/28/24 2:45 pm
From: Diane McCoy via groups.io <dianemccoy10...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS trip to Stanford Arizona Cactus Garden
Hi.
This morning 11 participants joined Susan Tenney and me at the Stanford Arizona Cactus Garden area for some spring birding.
We were not disappointed.
We saw 31 species. Here is the ebird list:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170785260

We were greeted by lots of bird song, chirps and tapping: House Finches, Lesser Goldfinches, doves, Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall's Woodpeckers, Bewick's Wren, and American Robins. We saw lots of Anna's Hummingbirds, Dark-eyed Juncoes and White-breasted Nuthatch.
But right near the beginning of the path we spotted two Western Tanagers; a treat for the group.

Closer to the mausoleum we saw a very flitty Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and got our first looks at a male Hooded Oriole, whom we continued to spot along the way to the cactus garden and in the garden as well. Anna's Hummingbirds were enjoying the lovely and very striking cactus blooms and House Finches were soaring continuously, staking out territory in the tall thin cypresses.
Three Red-shouldered Hawks continued to fly over and one perched in a cactus garden tree; perhaps young one asking for food!

A beautiful morning, lovely time!

Need more birding this week? There's still time to join and/or support SCVAS' Spring BirdAThon:
https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams

Have a good week,
Diane McCoy
SCVAS Volunteer

View/Reply Online (#28192): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28192
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county