Date: 4/27/24 4:39 pm
From: Hrishikesh More <hrishikesh.r.more...>
Subject: Re: Red-headed Woodpecker!
Thanks for the info Judy and Jerry.
Out of curiosity, looked up this page:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-headed_Woodpecker/lifehistory

During the start of the breeding season they move from forest interiors to
> forest edges or disturbed areas. Wherever they breed, dead (or partially
> dead) trees for nest cavities are an important part of their habitat. In
> the northern part of their winter range, they live in mature stands of
> forest, especially oak, oak-hickory, maple, ash, and beech. In the southern
> part, they live in pine and pine-oak. They are somewhat nomadic; in a given
> location they can be common one year and absent the next.

- This explains their 'periodic' springtime visit to the backyard !
- My neighbour (a few lots northside) has a big barkless dead tree, and
that explains Jerry's point as well. I hope whoever purchases that property
(currently on sale) does not cut it down. 🤞