Date: 4/27/24 5:30 pm
From: Ian MacGregor <00000489141846bd-dmarc-request...>
Subject: A Senior Moment
Yesterday, I reported four Baird's Sandpipers, seen through a very heavy downpour. This morning I realized I had not even considered White-rumped. I had forgotten of their existence. I went back this afternoon, to see if they were there. I saw three birders, including Vivek, Josh Matlock, and embarrassingly I cannot remember the name of the third, I asked. "What have you seen?" They responded with a list which included White-rumped Sandpier. Vivek showed me a Stilt Sandpiper through a scope, snd I could see it was feeding like one, but not much else. Then he showed me a White-rumped which despite its bathing didn't show the field mark for which it was named. I waled around the pond and found the Stilt, even got a couple of identifiable photographs. I then found two White-rumps. I didn't expect them to still ba in winter plumage. I wasn't sure of their id until they flew. As I finished my circumnavigation of the pond, I saw in in breeding plumage. Those fine streaks on its sides are what I had been looking for. It matched perfectly with what I was expecting, and after a few minutes it took off and showed off its white upper tail coverts. I changed yesterday's sighting of Baird's to peep sp.

I decided this spring to bird the dirt part of Highlands Blvd in Bella Vista. This morning, I decided to use Merlin again, and you would think that Tennessee Warblers could be found in every tree. I heard one! As I was trying to find it, a bird of the right size, shape and color
flew out of the tree and disappeared. I still have not seen one well in breeding plumage.

The highlight of the walk, is when I saw a couple of flashes of yellow which were not American Goldfinches. I looked where Ib thought I might be able topper through the trees and find them. Instead there was a Swainson's Thrush, and behind it a Worm-eating Warbler. This was my first for Arkansas, having seen one before in my life. I think they may breed in small numbers. Less than a minute later I heard a trill which could have been a Worm-eating. Shortly after that I saw two Nashvilles. The road has a lot of potential, but it is private property on both sides of its length..

Ian MacGregor Bella Vista

or click the following link: