Date: 4/24/24 7:23 am
From: <sselt...>
Subject: Whistling Ducks at Larned / 24 April
I was wondering this morning if I would ever be able to add Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck to our yard list and then it almost happened! I just saw a
flock of 7 BBWDs, their white wing patches shining in the sun, flying over
open country about 8 miles NW of Larned and just a mile from our house. I
had just seen another BBWD flying over the north side of Larned an hour
earlier.

Last week on April 15 I saw a flock of 8 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks in
Great Bend. They were flying low over McKinley Street by Veterans Lake. I
suspect that the numbers in Great Bend are large and are increasing, however
it's a big town with lots of ponds and old sandpits where they can disappear
from sight. The easiest place to see Black-bellied Whistling Ducks is in
Ellinwood. I think it is well-known that the little pond south of the RR
tracks at the west side of Ellinwood seems to have a few almost 100% of the
time.

Two female Black Scoters were still at Kingman State Fishing Lake on Monday,
22 April.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

www.avg.com