Date: 4/16/24 9:00 pm
From: Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVWD PONDS
Good evening birders,

I wanted to let those who have asked about the ponds at the Santa Clara Valley Water District being empty.

I was back there today to take photos and check on how the birds are fairing.

I spoke with a person at the water district who explained that ponds are empty due to the aquifers being totally full. If they added water at this time with the aquifers full it would cause flooding in some areas. They understand about the need for water for the birds and explained that the creeks and river would supply what the birds need for now.

I did have the following birds there today: BLACK HEADED GROSBEAK, ASH THROATED FLYCATCHER, LEAST SANDPIPERS and continuing CASPIAN TERNS.
Also, BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERONS, SNOWY AND GREAT EGRETS, GREAT BLUE HERONS.

I will be checking these ponds daily as Friday, is my day to participate in SCVAS’s Birdathon And I will be birding SCVWD and Guadalupe Oak Grove.

Wishing you all good birding…
Linda Sullivan
Santa Teresa

View/Reply Online (#28145): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28145
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county