Date: 4/16/24 11:49 am
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Farren Road April 16
U hiked the road starting about 7:45 this morning.  Beautiful morning for the hike and the green grass-covered hills are a pleasure to view.  However, bird activity was generally low.  No Lazuli Buntings or Blue Grosbeaks made their appearance today, but I suspect they will be at this location any day now, maybe even tomorrow!
Best birds were Lark Sparrows (5, including 2 obviously mated pairs), 2 Western Kingbirds, a very vocal Ash-throated Flycatcher, and a male Phainopepla at the end of the road, not the usual location for this species on Farren.  Usually they hang out in the pepper trees near the reservoir.
I also had a lat-ish Lincoln's Sparrow in exactly the same location I had one almost two months ago.  White-crowns seem to have departed, as well as Western Meadowlarks.  At least two pairs of Hooded Orioles are hanging out in the palm trees in the ranch at the end of the road.  One small flock of mostly Cliff Swallows put in a brief appearance by the reservoir on my way down.
I also spotted my first seasonal Calochortus (Mariposa Lily) in bloom in the shaded road cut of the oak woodland.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37208): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37208
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county