Date: 4/16/24 8:15 am
From: Pamela Hunt <phunt...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Whip-poor-will survey route available in New Boston
Greetings NH birders,

A long-time volunteer who has surveyed one of NH's 18 whip-poor-will routes is "retiring" this year and thus in need of replacement. The route in question is located primarily in New Boston.

The key requirement to survey a route is a flexible schedule. Routes need to be surveyed during 2-week intervals centered on the full moon, and when the skies are clear. In some years this makes it difficult to get a survey conducted despite each observer's best intentions. This year's survey windows are May 15-30 and June 14-28, with the first half of each logistically better (which I can explain in more detail to interested parties. Each route only needs to be surveyed once. Counts are conducted after dark, along roads, and consist of 10 points spaced 1 mile apart. They take about 1.5 hours to complete. Observers must be willing to drive at night (you are welcome to bring a friend for companionship/safety) and recognize the call of a whip-poor-will.

Please reply with interest and/or questions,
Pam

Pamela Hunt, Ph.D.
Senior Biologist for Avian Conservation
NH Audubon

603-753-9137 (home phone since I'm still rarely in the office)

How are NH's birds doing? Check out our "State of the Birds" report at:
https://www.nhaudubon.org/conservation/the-state-of-the-birds/