Date: 4/16/24 6:39 am
From: Krajcir, Kevin <KrajcirKJ...>
Subject: STKI at Warren Prairie NA
Good morning,

Yesterday while doing field work, a coworker and I found a SWALLOW-TAILED KITE (STKI) at Warren Prairie Natural Area in Bradley Co. We watched the bird soar between the tree tops for a few minutes just north of Old Warren Road approximately here: 33.57695, -91,98271.

Our staff have found at least one STKI at Warren Prairie around this time for the last few years. Because of this, we suspect that there could be a breeding pair in the area. The seasonally wet and open habitats in the area seem ideal for this species. If folks go out to look for this bird, please note that documenting breeding activity of this species in Arkansas would be an amazing observation. This species is also one of greatest conservation need in Arkansas, so please keep its sensitive status in mind if you do happen to encounter the bird or its nest.

Happy birding,
Kevin Krajcir
or click the following link: