Date: 4/16/24 4:49 am
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Taughannock Peregrine Outreach
Showing people scope views of the incubating Peregrine and talking to people about the history during the celebrations would be good too.

Last year I was at Taughannnock the day the young were fledging. It was also the day that the Park chose to have worker rappel on the S cliffs to knock off loose rocks so they wouldn’t fall on people on the trail below. It seemed to me like there must be a better time to do that in terms of stress & success of fledging, and I wonder if there can be discussions with Park staff beforehand this year. They did have a biologist on hand on the trail by the pull-off on Gorge Rd which is where I usually scope, and they were diverting people onto the road instead of a section of trail, perhaps because one of the fledglings was nearby, which is good. And they were talking to people about Peregrines, also good, but the biologist was too young to personally know about DDT wiping out Peregrines or the local efforts through the Lab and falconers to restore them at this site, and did not mention these things. I added this info as I also showed scope views. The biologist was also supposedly able to shut down the rappel work if it became too stressful for the birds, but I’m not sure how that would have been determined. Maybe better to do that work a week before or after fledging? Others on this list may know better.

- - Dave Nutter