Date: 5/4/24 12:02 pm
From: <ajf-jlf...>
Subject: [birders] All's well that ends well (I hope)
Birders,

That all human activities may bring harm to our fellow travelers on planet
Earth is a truism. Of course, we can't foresee just what the outcomes may
be. When we built our present home with a wonderful view of the Saline
River bottom land, we did not anticipate that our treasured view into that
ecosystem would bring death to a dozen birds of eight different species from
window strikes before I was able to install bird netting to prevent
collisions as panicked feeding birds were flushed by hunting Cooper's Hawks
into what was perceived as patches of open sky above the feeders. By far,
the netting has prevented most such deaths. However, in now rare instances,
we still hear a dull thud as a bird connects with a top corner of the
trapezoidal windows that let us see the treetops, but remain essentially
unprotected by the netting.

Today brought one of those dreaded sounds, and I looked up to see a small
ball of fluff dropping toward the patio below. Running to the window
expecting to see a lifeless form lying on the concrete, instead I found the
tiny body of our FOY Black and White Warbler entangled in the netting at
knee level. The three attached pics taken at 1-minute intervals and a very
brief video (with too much bandwidth to share) show the apparent recovery of
the little bird which, like far too many concussed athletes, was soon able
to continue on its way.

I hope that small migrant will be able to reach its nesting location, find a
mate, and is successfully reproduce its magnificent kind. And I'm left to
reassess the full ecological costs of having imposed my own dream home on
the space that previously was shared by so many of my living counterparts
that we so much enjoy! I share these thoughts to share the knowledge of
what is happening daily as a result of 8,000,000,000 of us having blissfully
displaced a significant segment of Earth's Biosphere.

www.avg.com

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/005b01da9e55%248b6fce20%24a24f6a60%<24...>

Join us on Facebook!