Date: 4/30/24 7:23 pm
From: Preheim, Kelly via groups.io <kelly.preheim...>
Subject: [sd-birds] First-of-Year Birds-Southeastern SD
This past weekend I saw 14 FOYs {first-of-year} birds in Douglas, Hutchinson, Turner and McCook counties. They were:
Chimney Swifts
Field Sparrow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Stilt Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
White-crowned Sparrow
Snowy Egret
Forster's Tern
Spotted Sandpiper
Brown Thrasher
Upland Sandpiper
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Golden-Plover
Great Egret
Clay-colored Sparrows (seen today)
One cool moment was when we were driving slowly down the highway, I looked to my left and saw a Red-headed Woodpecker flying low and parallel to me over a farm field. Also, the Osprey was still at the lake in Armour along with two bickering Belted Kingfishers. Also, my kindergartners were able to identify 255 bird species today! One child identified the Glossy Ibis as the "Gloppy Ibis". That made me smile.