Date: 4/29/24 4:51 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] lots of misc.
Below are some sightings from the last few days, in roughly reverse
chronological order:

4/29 I birded Mt. Diablo, primarily Green Ranch Rd. but some stops
elsewhere. Interesting to me, today and the last couple of times I have
been up there, I have recorded a few different strange sounding
Golden-crowned Sparrows singing song variants I have only heard once or
twice before. I did a bit of research (check out this cool article!
https://academic.oup.com/auk/article/133/3/520/5149229) and the birds I
have recorded are apparently song types 3 and 5 (
https://ebird.org/checklist/S171041596). I wonder where these spend the
winter? Otherwise, it was very windy, but American Goldfinch are moving
through up there and have been present in decent numbers the last week or
so. Hermit Warblers have been frequent as expected at this season—I have
not even come close to missing this species in the last two weeks.
Hammond’s Flycatchers, on the other hand, I’ve really struggled to find
this year. I’ve only seen a handful when normally by this point in the
season we should have had several days where they are just… around. To me
it seems a distinctly poor year for this species? Looking at eBird, counts
at Mitchell Canyon seem somewhat lower than typical? At the kiosk on N.
Gate Rd. there continues to be a singing Say’s Phoebe. Presumably this bird
is nesting—Say’s seem to be reasonably common as breeders in all of Mt.
Diablo’s foothills now.

Speaking of Say’s, another pair was territorial and all at a house on
Armstrong Rd. in Byron 4/28. There was also a large flock of 100 Tricolored
Blackbirds foraging here, but I could not figure out where they might be
breeding. Also on 4/28 some Tricolored Blackbirds held down their annual
puny colony in a golf course in suburban Brentwood. 3 pair of Loggerhead
Shrikes on Armstrong were nice to see.The same date on nearby Holey Rd.,, I
was shocked to see a Ferruginous Hawk foraging with a couple Swainson’s,
Golden Eagles, and Red-tails! This is late! And is a strong contender for
record late, I’d think.

The evening of 4/28 I moseyed over to Bethel Island to stare out into the
delta at a couple places: and off Russo’s Marina with 15 Forster’s Terns
and 30 Bonaparte’s Gulls was a Black Tern! Finally! It hung out and foraged
for the entire 20 minutes I was there. A bittern was singing from the weedy
median here, and a bittern has also been singing from a flooded, swampy
pasture off Bethel Isl. Rd. since 4/21. Stilts have successfully nested
this year off Bethel Isl. Rd.

4/27 were my last two R-c Kinglets of the season, chattering on Green Ranch
Rd. Later a trip over to Richmond produced two singing Grackles at Landfill
Loop, a nice surprise right after my first-for-Richmond Grackle earlier
this month. 30 Brant Geese were lingering on Brooks Isl, and 60 Elegant
Terns were on the sand spit among ~150 breeding Caspians. Scanning from
Vincent Park (where the parking lot was full!) I found a flock of 22 female
Buffleheads in the lee of Brooks Isl. (seems late to me for numbers like
this?), and some Bonaparte’s Gulls were scattered from here through 51st
St. at several locations. It is NOT unusual to encounter this species over
the bay here in spring or fall migrations, in contrast to some wisdom
recently espoused on some local chat groups .

I have not had a confirmed Cassin’s Finch on Diablo since my last report
the 22nd, but I had a fairly convincing although brief encounter with a
candidate the 28th.

Finally, I’d like to remind everyone that they are always welcome to reach
out and ask to see my documentation for any of my sightings. If you are
skeptical, or even just for the hell of it. Most makes it on eBird, but
oftentimes there is a delay—sometimes because I am just taking my sweet
time, but sometimes there are property issues or permit stipulations that
keep my lists delayed. So, if you want to see something, just ask!

Best,

Ethan Monk