Date: 4/29/24 12:35 pm
From: Michael Brady <000001c3c6bc6063-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cranesville Swamp Sandhill Crane 4-29

 Made it out to the beautiful Nature Conservancy's Cranesville Swamp Sanctuary in Preston County this morning.

 Thought I had gone through a secret portal and  teleported back to my old stomping grounds in Colorado due to some very familiar vocalizations I came across.

 First and foremost had to do a total double take when I heard the unmistakable call of a SANDHILL CRANE coming from where the boardwalk starts.As I came out of the woods saw a low flying SANDHILL heading north! Was not expecting one of these guys this morning for sure.

 Have to admit not real certain of the status of these cranes in WV.Did see on E-Bird that there were a few sightings from Cranseville Swamp Reserve in the Fall and Winter of 23.Could be the same bird  but may also  bea migrating bird a little off course.

 Very cool to the hear another very familiar call of a "piney",as we called them in CO, calling from the conifers.More commonly known as a Red Squirrel.

Actually ,besides birds,one of the reasons I went out to Cranseville this morning was hoping to see another old friend of ..a Porcupine.

 A good friend of mine who was born and has lived all his life in Preston County has told me he has seen them many times at and around the Cranesville Swamp area.Alas ,no porcupines this morning for me.

Was hoping for more bird activity but overall kind of quiet

Other birds of note included singing BLACKBURNIAN,CHESTNUT SIDED,MAGNOLIA,BLACK THROATED GREEN,KENTUCKY warblers.Singing WOOD and HERMIT THRUSH and a nice RED SHOULDERED HAWK.

Fantastic place! Hope to get out there more this Spring and Summer!

Michael BradyMorgantown,WV

Join us on Facebook!