Date: 4/29/24 7:57 am
From: Ty Sharrow <000004d62afaf44c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Swainson’s Hawk in Craighead Co.
Just found a dark morph Swainson’s Hawk just outside of Jonesboro in Craighead County. It was sitting in a tree right next to the road and didn’t flush so I was able to get good photos (on my phone through bins). I initially thought it was a dark morph Red-tailed Hawk but then I noticed the barring on the tail, orange barring on the legs, and longer wings. https://ebird.org/checklist/S170951693

This is a rare visitor to northeast Arkansas and is the first record for Craighead county since 2001 according to eBird.

I also saw 2 Lark Sparrows close by (https://ebird.org/checklist/S170944822) which are uncommon for NE AR.

Happy birding,
Ty

Ty Sharrow (he/him)