Date: 4/28/24 10:39 pm
From: Lisa Myers via groups.io <lisa...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS Birdation at Purgatory Auto Works and Dinosaur Farm
Several of us attended the SCVAS birdathon field trip to the "Purgatory
Auto Works and Dinosaur Farm" located in the Mtn. Hamilton range. As
described by SCVAS member and homeowner LC Boros, attendees were invited
to bird, "our small private ranch in the East Foothills overlooking all
of Santa Clara Valley. Since purchasing the parcel in mid-2015 we have
worked to restore native habitats and now, what was once an overgrazed
wasteland is at any given time home to at least 45 different species of
birds. (To date we have documented over 100 species.)"

I told LC I would write the SBB email to share a bit about our time on
her property. The effort they have made to return their 14 acres to
native plants and grasslands has rewarded all with some great birds. We
were able to enjoy *BARN SWALLOWS* nesting building in their barn, with
*RED-TAILED HAWKS* circling near with one escorting a *GOLDEN EAGLE* out
of its territory. The native garden did include bird feeders, nectar
feeders and bird baths so the species assortment was awesome including a
tan striped *WHITE-THROATED SPARROW*. Both *HOODED* and *BULLOCKS
ORIOLES* took advantage of the nectar and jelly offered, and both
*STELLER'S* and *CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAYS* co-exist here. The *CALIFORNIA
THRASHER* and *NORTHERN* *MOCKINGBIRDS* were also quite chatty. A few
*GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS* remained. We had a heard only *LAZULI BUNTING*
and spotted one distant *WESTERN* *KINGBIRD. *

Several bird houses are scattered about the ranch and at this time are
home to *TREE SWALLOWS* and *WESTERN BLUEBIRDS. *

*CLIFF SWALLOWS *were observed grabbing dirt from the side of the road
indicting nest building.

This birdathon event included lunch with a view of the valley. We ended
our time with roughly 30 species seen or heard during our visit. The
effort made to provide ideal California habitat for the birds is very
commendable.

Birding private property is always great fun. A thank you to LC Boros
for including her home in the SCVAS birdathon and inviting members to
come see the birds. And if you wish to donate to this year's birdathon
you still have time.

Lisa Myers

Let's Go Birding/Los Gatos Birdwatcher**

View/Reply Online (#28194): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28194
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county