Date: 4/28/24 12:43 pm
From: April Campbell <adc14...>
Subject: [birders] Off topic-Bugs
Growing currants and gooseberries was quite easy until…these guys showed up! This is the Currant Borer, Synanthedon tipuliformis, a nonnative pest of gooseberries and currants. They lead a “hidden lifestyle “ inside your canes and can destroy your bushes. I discovered them in my patch three years ago. I’ve had to prune back my shrubs rather severely because of this clear- wing moth( related to squash vine borer).I suspect they entered my garden in a plant I bought at a nursery. I’m now growing plants from first year cuttings which do not have the borer. Here is a picture of a pupae in one of my canes.
The lessons : keep a close eye on your plants and prune shrubs on a regular basis, know the life-cycle of the insect pests for your plants and examine any plants you buy for evidence of disease and pests.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<7B07B8A5-3031-4DEA-8244-AB2B691AC908...>

Sent from my iPhone

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org