Date: 4/28/24 6:31 am
From: Aster Droste <eviedroste...>
Subject: Re: Red-headed Woodpecker!
I've never had any red headed woodpeckers at my feeder, but if you're in
central AR, Ranch North Woods in Little Rock is full of them if you walk
along the trail by the river. I regularly trip the eBird filter there, with
counts of 5-10 individuals usually. The dock by the canoe rental area is
the best spot. They enjoy the dead trees in the middle of the river, and if
you're lucky you may spot one entering or exiting a nest cavity. Other
birds that I've spotted using the dead trees for various purposes include
red-bellied woodpeckers (nesting/foraging), blue-grey gnatcatchers
(foraging), and osprey (hunting).