Date: 4/28/24 6:00 am
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Koch property, Northampton County
I don't know what today may bring but in the last several days I've seen the three species that I always look for at this time of the year. All of them were in the yard. An adult male Baltimore oriole appeared on Tuesday and stuck around until yesterday. He only went to the oriole feeders once, preferring instead to use all three hummingbird feeders. I've seen this behavior many times, just not to this extent. Then on Wednesday an adult male rose-breasted grosbeak showed up, and this morning both a male and a female were present. I usually have them coming into feeders throughout the summer until about August.  And yesterday morning I went out the kitchen door for something and an adult male ruby-throated hummingbird zipped past me, going to a feeder there. That, however, was the only time I saw it but, like most of the early migrating males, it was probably just moving through. I always like seeing them at flowers, and currently flowering quince, bleeding hearts, are in full bloom, so we'll see. Also in the front yard a chickadee (sp?) has been taking nesting material I put out.  I haven't been able, though, to see where it's taking it.  In the fields I've recently seen two eastern kingbirds, tree swallows in boxes, a blue-grey gnatcatcher, and flickers, along of course with lots of blackbirds, robins, and blue jays. White-throated sparrows are still around, as is a white-crowned sparrow, but I haven't seen a junco for two or three days.

Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!