Date: 4/27/24 8:12 pm
From: <sselt...>
Subject: Re: Whistling Ducks at Larned / 24 April - and Great Bend
The little pond at the western edge of Ellinwood (Barton County) called Wolf Pond had a whopping 61 Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks on 27 April. This is the most I've seen in one flock in Kansas. Earlier today I saw 4 BBWDs in Larned (Pawnee County) and they've also become a daily sight in Great Bend. I don't know if I'll ever get used to this.

I made a big swing thru Quivira's Big Salt Marsh and Cheyenne Bottoms today 27 April. There were still tens of thousands of shorebirds at CB's Pool 1A but between the two places I still only had about 25 shorebird species for the day.

Scott Seltman
Larned, Kansas