Date: 4/27/24 6:12 pm
From: Matt S. <accipiter22...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] April 27, 2024 - Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge - Usual early migration suspects, good numbers all around.
Hi All,

I led a BBC walk today at Mount Auburn. We saw mostly the typical
early migration fare, nothing too out of the ordinary. Good numbers
though, across the board, which seems to be the case broadly this
spring so far. We had a nice showing along Halcyon as RC Kinglets,
Palms, Yellow-Rumps and B&W Warblers all popped up, simultaneously
almost, some of them almost at eye-level. Just before this I (and
many of our group) had our FOY oriole, staking out that corner by
Halcyon and that small hill that seems to attract them every year.
Someone in the group made the good point that even if there are fewer
migrants now than there will be in a few weeks, nothing is leafed out
yet so the views are better. Quite true.

The highlight, for me anyway, was at Auburn Lake. I saw what I
thought was an odd looking crow land at the far end, nearer the dry
dell. I realized it was a green heron though, which was pretty cool.
Then it flew towards our group which was at the bridge, and suddenly a
juvenile Coop flew came out of nowhere and almost took it down. They
were looping around furiously for several seconds before the green
heron escaped into some underbrush. The coop landed briefly and then
launched again and grabbed a grackle, which frankly seemed to be doing
almost as much damage to the hawk as the hawk was to it. It lost the
grackle as well, and by that point every bird within a quarter mile
knew the hawk was there. No breakfast for that boy (or girl). It
hung out on the ground for a while; I think it was trying to pretend
it didn’t just miss on two attempts in front of a large audience.

The dry dell & dell were quieter, although there were two hermit
thrushes giving great views at ground level.

All in all it was a nice trip and about all you could hope for during
early migration. I enjoy leading these because there are lots of
little spots here and there; individual trees or micro-habitats at
Mount Auburn that are worth visiting. I enjoy pointing them out to
folks, hoping maybe someone learned a new spot there, and will have
some interesting sighting at a later date.

That's all for now,

Matt s.
Newton, MA
<Accipiter22...>

----
Mount Auburn Cemetery, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 27, 2024 7:09 AM - 9:26 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.52 mile(s)
34 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 3
Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 5
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 2
Green Heron (Butorides virescens) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 4
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 14
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula) 3
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 3
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 14
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 4
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 4
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 8
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 19
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 1
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 8
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 8
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S170503652