Date: 4/27/24 6:11 pm
From: Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] North Country and Whitewood Report
We birded North on SD 34 and US 85 to Brooker Road today and returned
via Orman Dam, Nisland, and WW Valley Road. Partly cloudy with sunny
breaks and fairly light winds. Several FOS species for the area
including Eared Grebe, Lesser Yellowlegs, Belted Kingfisher, Barn
Swallows, Yellow-headed Blackbird, and Chestnut-collared Longspurs
(Brooker Road). Raptors were limited to a nesting Golden Eagle, Northern
Harriers, and Red-tailed Hawks.  No Kestrels today.  Other species of
interest included Western Grebe, 12 species of ducks, Pelicans,
Cormorants, Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Great-horned Owls on the St. Onge
nest, and lots of Common Grackles today. Forty-nine trip species.

We had several FOS sightings since our last report at our feeders 1.5
miles south of Whitewood including Chipping-Lincoln-White-Crowned
Sparrows, Common Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird, and Spotted Towhee.  We
have as many as 30 American Goldfinch sometimes at the feeders and the
Evening Grosbeaks are still around.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553