Date: 4/27/24 1:30 pm
From: Carol Joan Patterson <0000003a0ccbe138-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Sharp Chapel Road,, severe weather pending
I was at work Wednesday and Thursday, when exciting sightings were reported at Sharp Chapel.  I could hardly wait until Friday.  I was disheartened by the severe weather reports Friday morning, but Donald and I decided to give Sharp Chapel a try, hoping to beat the really bad weather.
Well, we did not see the Piping Plover or the Marbled Godwit.  It may have been because we had to hurry - but we did look as closely as time allowed.  The avocets were still present, in the same pond as last time - we counted 38.  But then, on our way back. in spite of wanting to get to the truck asap, with storm coming in, Donald and I both stopped to look at the mass of avocets flying above.  There seemed to be at least 4 times the number we had counted.  Trailing the avocets was a Common Tern - recognized by the "neater" cap - it did not extend down the nape, and there were no white primaries.
We were sopping wet, as the rain came down pretty hard before we made it to the truck, and it was not fun on the drive back when passing cars splashed water, obscuring vision.  Still, it was worth it.  I figured that I might not see the godwit or plover, but I also knew that Sharp Chapel Road always has treats in store.

or click the following link: