Date: 4/27/24 7:19 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Re: Merlin doesn't know the Red-Shouldered Hawk?
I had a Gray Catbird calling in front of me this morning. Merlin seemed to
identify everything but the catbird. That is why I follow two rules with
Merlin when listing on eBird.

1. If Merlin identifies it, I never list it unless I hear or see it.

2. If Merlin identifies it, I listen carefully because at times it hears
and identifies something before I do, especially with my impaired high
frequency hearing.

I agree that Merlin is getting better all the time. Herb Myers, Keezletown,
VA - previously Harman, WV

On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 10:01 AM Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> wrote:

> I have been using Merlin quite a bit this spring and found it to be usually
> quite good. I had a red shouldered hawk calling the other day and Merlin
> got it instantly. Last winter it didn't catch the same hawk, but it was out
> there aways. Like all AI use improves results as it learns. Interestingly I
> found it will id a bc Chickadee once then show Carolina chickadees. My rule
> of thumb is a one time read should be questioned.
> But otherwise it is fun, like having a good leader on a bird walk.
> Paul McKay
> Ohio County
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2024, 11:19 AM Wendy Perrone <wendy...> wrote:
>
> > We've noticed that Merlin is at best slow to recognize Raptor calls in
> > general, most of the time it ignores them altogether.-Wendy Perrone,
> > Executive Director, Three Rivers Avian Center, Brooks (Hinton) WV.
> > www.tracwv.org. Sent from my smartphone.
> > -------- Original message --------From: Fred Schroyer <
> > <ibfreditor...> Date: 4/26/24 12:13 AM (GMT-05:00) To:
> > <WV-BIRD...> Subject: Merlin doesn't know the Red-Shouldered
> > Hawk? Walking at 5 this evening thru a ravine near our home (Waynesburg,
> > PA, justnorth of the WV line), a noisy hawk flew above me and landed in a
> > tallsycamore, frequently calling. It looked to me like a Red-Shouldered,
> > but Iwasn't sure. So I opened the Merlin app for a quick ID. Merlin
> > quicklyidentified the other songsters in the ravine, but ignored the
> > dominantloud-&-clear calls of the hawk! They showed prominently on the
> > sonogram, butMerlin offered no suggestions. I closed the app, reopened
> it,
> > and triedagain-still nothing. So I went to Youtube, found some
> > Red-Shouldered videos,and played one. The video sounded identical to my
> > hawk's calls, and the birdbecame agitated and responded with calls,
> > obviously reacting to the video.Has anyone else experienced this with
> > Merlin? I can't believe it did notrecognize a common hawk! Fred
> > SchroyerFreelance Writer/Editorial Consultant955 6th StreetWaynesburg, PA
> > <15370ibfreditor...>

Join us on Facebook!