Date: 4/25/24 1:42 pm
From: Lisa Craig <lisa.t.craig...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] eBird -- Wright-Locke Farm -- Apr 25, 2024
Our field walk at Wright-Locke Farm began with two tree swallows setting up housekeeping in nesting boxes provided by the farm, their iridescent plumage gleaming in the sun. As we headed toward the pond, a killdeer was patrolling the field perimeter. We later saw a second on the hill next to the pond. In a cluster of cedars at the corner of the pond, we were treated to a ruby crowned kinglet, palm warbler and first of the season for many of us, a Northern Parula. Along the path over the hill we stopped in our tracks to see a Barred Owl, at close range about eye level--truly the star of our show! In the larger pond, a late female Hooded Merganser was taking in the sun, while a momma mallard was steering clear with her little ones from a hybrid male mallard, guarded by another male. Red winged blackbirds, grackles, red-bellied woodpeckers, goldfinches, tufted titmice, house finches and chickadees were aplenty, as all enjoyed this beautiful spring morning.

Respectfully submitted,
Lisa Craig

Wright-Locke Farm
Apr 25, 2024
8:00 AM
Traveling
1.50 miles
120 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: MBC walk
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 2.20.4 Build 2.20.28

2 Canada Goose
13 Mallard
1 Common Merganser
3 Mourning Dove