Date: 4/25/24 10:37 am
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Yuma County
External Email

Greetings Birders,

I spent yesterday morning (Apr 24) at Mittry Lake, Hidden Shores, and the Solar Pond. A WESTERN SCREECH OWL and several COMMON POORWILLS greeted me at Betty's Kitchen before the sun rose. The mosquitoes were few in number and the weather was cool--a perfect morning. YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS have returned. I soon had all the rails (BLACK, SORA, VIRGINIA'S, and RIDGWAY'S) and all the waders. Waterfowl have all but departed, with only 4 duck species found. It was nice to see a CLARK'S GREBE with chicks riding on her back. 3 VAUX'S SWIFTS were neat, as was a handsome BONAPARTE'S GULL. By the time I left the Mittry Lake area I had 76 species.
At the Solar Pond, some five miles west of Wellton, 2 GREATER SCAUP continue along with the CANVASBACK. Shorebirds were represented by 11 species, including a WILLET, 26 WILSON'S PHALAROPES, and 4 newly-arrived RED-NECKED PHALAROPES.
A few eBird reports with photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S170106763https://ebird.org/checklist/S170077020https://ebird.org/checklist/S169953326
Good Birding!Henry D. DetwilerYuma, AZ
Finding Birds in Southwest Arizonahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_SWAZ_Book.htmFinding Birds at the Salton Sea and in Imperial County, Californiahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_Imperial_County_Book.htm