Date: 4/25/24 9:39 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Crazy cowbird
Birding is never dull. In the last couple of weeks a male cowbird keeps perching on some branches I placed outside a window and peers in.  No doubt he sees his reflection.  As a rule, it is bluebirds, cardinals and robins who sit on car mirrors or near a window trying to drive off an imaginary rival.

Another mystery is a nestbox that started out with four bluebird eggs.  When  I saw tree swallows swarming around I opened the box and saw that the eggs were covered loosely with grass.  Never did see the bluebirds again. Instead tree swallows were swarming around and going in and out.  I just checked, and there is a perfect cup of black feathers but no white eggs yet.  Judging from the height, this is a double-decker nest.  No doubt I will find the abandoned bluebird eggs when I empty the box after the tree swallows have fledged.

One of my bluebird nests has six eggs.  That is only the second time that's happened in my yard.  The chickadees have four eggs with a bunch more to be added.  Hopefully they won't get sabotaged by the housewren.

I checked on my neighbor's eaglets yesterday.  They are doing well.  The younger one still has a few bits of down on it but is doing the wing flapping and stretching.

Leaving the house this morning to walk my dog, I heard the towhee's clear "Drink you Tea."   Brought back a lovely memory of my mom who was always so pleased with herself for recognizing that song.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, W V

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Join us on Facebook!