Date: 4/24/24 5:49 pm
From: James V Remsen via groups.io <najames...>
Subject: Re: [labird] SEG Environmental Chandeleur Islands Trip 23 April 2024
Jack et al. — wow, what an experience! Fascinating.

As for the cuckoo prevalence …. Another hypothesis is that it was just one of those “cuckoo waves”. Spring waves are often dominated by one taxonomic category. For example, sometimes there are “cardinaline days" with buntings, grosbeaks, and Dickcissels making up the bulk of the migrants. Rarely there are “thrush days, with Catharus species and Wood Thrush predominating. Sometimes warblers steal the show. Sometimes Catbirds or R-e Vireos are way over-represented.

As fo YB vs. BB cuckoos — indeed it’s pretty clear that YB is a common bird with a huge overall population, and BB is generally scarce. Although YB has a larger breeding distribution, the difference is small compared to the ratio of migrants detected, which I suspect is at least 100:1. Why the disparity is so great is a mystery to me and to my buddies with whom I’ve discussed this on long birding trips. My personal high count for BB is 5, way back in April 1979, and nowadays, seeing more than 1 in day is a big deal. There have been years when I’ve not seen one at all.

Van Remsen

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Emeritus Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu