Date: 4/24/24 4:28 pm
From: rfs_berkeley via groups.io <rscalf...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Violet-green Swallows
My observation is simply that Tree Swallows are dominate over
Violet-greens and displace them from boxes, especially near prime
foraging habitats like wetlands or riparian corridors. This seems quite
noticeable in outer Point Reyes where I've been atlas birding. Holes in
Alder snags along streams are entirely taken by Tree Swallows; holes in
dryer more upland areas often by Violet-green. And in the inter-specific
aggression I've observed, the Tree Swallows win 100% of the time.

In a prior life I put out quite a few boxes in eastern Washington and
north Idaho and VG Swallows seemed happy to take them. Again, well away
from wetlands and wet meadows.

I think it's a dominance thing.

-Rusty Scalf

On 2024-04-24 15:58, Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:

> Dominik
>
> To add to your comments, I don't think that Violet-green Swallows are generally all that keen on nest boxes. They can take them, and in some regions often do, but it is not their preference. They are entirely unlike Tree Swallows in this respect, as Tree Swallows love nest boxes. Here in Half Moon Bay, where Violet-green Swallows commonly nest, they tend to nest in the eaves, holes, nooks, crannies of houses. The few Tree Swallows that nest here are in boxes!
>
> My guess is that out in the wild away from people Violet-greens are more likely to take a rough hole, a crack in a branch, a crevice in an old snag as opposed to a woodpecker hole. On the other hand, flicker and woodpecker holes are the go-to for Tree Swallows.
>
> Alvaro Jaramillo
>
> <alvaro...>
>
> www.alvarosadventures.com [1]

Links: