Date: 4/24/24 2:42 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] recent migrants and breeding notes
migrants continue to pass through the City. In addition I've been
monitoring breeding activities; even as some mid-range migrants are just
beginning to arrive resident species are producing young for several weeks
now. Unfortunately as happens every year, I've noted several breeding
efforts disrupted or thwarted by human activity (gardening, weeding, tree
trimming) both by private parties and work crews for local land
management agencies.

Here's a few sightings I found notable from the past few days (in
taxonomic order):

Pied-billed Grebe - 3 first of '24 juveniles observed in the SE corner of
Laguna Honda Reservoir, off Clarendon/below the bee hives 4/23

White-throated Swifts - nowadays seem nearly ubiquitous in SF during the
breeding season foraging low, and I suspect they are nesting/prospecting
for nests much more widely than we may realize. Yesterday (4/23) while in
the easternmost end of GoldenGate Park above McLaren Lodge I noted one bird
buzzing around the top of St. Mary's medical building on Stanyan.

Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - a female Selasphorus seen very briefly on
Corona Hill 4/24 where there have been no sightings of Allen's this year.
Timing suggestive of migrant Rufous

Band-tailed Pigeons - continue to be seen daily in the areas of Mount
Sutro/Davidson/Forest Hill neighborhood and almost certainly nesting there
again this year as in 2023 and '22.

Belted Kingfisher - a bird at Laguna Honda Res. 4/20-21, was either a very
late migrant or a failed breeder. Only historical records of breeding in SF
exist (Lake Merced prior to wholesale development of the lake)

Olive-sided Flycatcher - noted first arrival on Mount Davidson 4/19, on
Mount Sutro 4/21 one was noted on a survey point within 100m of last year's
nest. Olive-sided flycatcher is confirmed nesting only from Sutro in recent
years and last noted breeding on Mount Davidson ~2017. Appears extirpated
from Presidio and Golden Gate Park where it once bred as well.

Western Flycatcher - first arrival on Corona Hill 4/24

Chestnut-backed Chickadees - first fledglings of '24 noted being fed by
parent on Corona HIll 4/24

Violet-green Swallows - people often ask me "where do Violet-green Swallows
nest in San Francisco ?" To date I have yet to find a Violet-green Swallow
nest in the City that was in a natural cavity or even a nesting box. All
seem to be in openings on or near the roofs of houses. As an example a
female was exploring the hole in a soffit vent cover near Pine Lake on 4/15

https://ebird.org/checklist/S168787046

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - last detection was Corona Hill 4/19, these seem to
have mostly cleared out

Red-breasted Nuthatch- there's been a notable push of these in recent days.
4/23 one was calling from a street/backyard pine on Evelyn Street a few
hundred meters from the edge of Mount Davidson, another was on the Mount
above the bowl

House Wren - a singing migrant was the first I've detected locally this
spring on Corona Hill 4/24

Swainson's Thrush - since arriving on 4/18, a/the Swainson's Thrush has
been calling and occasionally singing from above the LaBica entrance to
Mount Davidson

Hermit Thrush - lingering /or perhaps moving through on Mount Davidson as
recently as the morning of 4/24

Cedar Waxwings - largest recent grouping was ~230 near Parkside Covered
Reservoir 4/19

Pine Siskin - have almost entirely cleared out since a flock of 80-100 was
seen on 4/17 on Mount Davidson

Lesser Goldfinch - first fledglings of the year noted 4/24 on Mount
Davidson and Corona Hill

Fox Sparrow (Sooty) - last noted on Mount Davidson 4/20, seem to have
cleared out. Last two days have also been devoid of Golden-crowns.

Spotted Towhee - multiple territories on Mount Davidson, nest building as
of this morning

Western Tanager - first migrant push of this species I've noted this spring
(after 10+ wintering locally!), three on Mount Davidson, one on Corona
mid-day 4/24

trip report from recent days here:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/226201

Dominik Mosur