Date: 4/23/24 12:25 pm
From: Luke Pheneger <phenegerluke...>
Subject: [cobirds] Chaetura Swift Help
Hello Everyone,

I would like to start a conversation about Chaetura swift identification in
light of the recent Vaux’s Swift reports from Valco Ponds. I find that this
is an extremely difficult and underrated identification question, and I
would love to hear comments from the community to help clarify my own
thoughts. I also hope this discussion can be an opportunity for everyone to
dig into an ID topic that is rarely studied in colorado!

I recently spent some time observing the swift(s) present at Valco Ponds,
and found myself unable to confidently place the bird in the Vaux’s
category. There are a myriad of factors that go into this difficult ID, and
I think that many of these traits are quite variable. I have listed my
thoughts on each identification trait generally used in Chaetura swift ID
below.

First, per eBird bar charts, Vaux’s Swift should not be considered the
expected swift during the third week of April. Chimney Swift has been
observed in Colorado as early as April 9th, and I have personally heard
them calling on the plains as early as April 23rd. I think it’s important
to note this so that we don’t go into this ID with a potentially biased
judgment.

Secondly, in terms of physical structure, I have read that a consistent
physical difference is that Chimney Swifts typically have longer, pointier
wings, and bulging inner primaries. This creates a pinched look where the
wing meets the body, which is less present in Vaux’s Swift. However, after
digging through many Chaetura photos on eBird, I’ve found that this almost
entirely depends on the angle of the photos. I feel that I can find photos
of both species having both wing shapes depending on what I want to see. If
a bird is pursuing aerial prey, they constantly change their wing shape,
and that distorts with the wing proportions. Additionally, there are also
documented differences in both physical size and flight pattern. I
personally was not able to observe the bird next to any other birds, but a
Vaux’s Swift should be about the size of a swallow, if not slightly
smaller. A chimney Swift should be slightly larger than the surrounding
swallows. If anyone was able to observe the bird in question with swallows,
I would love to hear about it! As for the flight style, Vaux’s are
considerably more bat-like in their flight, while Chimney Swifts have
longer slower strokes. I was not able to personally differentiate those
traits while watching the bird at Valco, but again, I would love to hear if
anyone saw something that they feel strongly indicates one way or the other.

Next, in terms of plumage, I noticed a lot of field notes stating that the
bird was IDd by a paler throat and a paler rump. This has been a purported
field mark for a while, but it is not an absolute trait, but rather a
gradient. Both Chimney Swifts and Vaux’s Swifts have pale throats, and it
is therefore important to look at this field mark in the context of the
entire underparts. Vaux’s swifts have low contrast throats because their
breasts are lighter, while Chimney Swifts actually seem to be the Chaetura
with higher contrast throats. This variability is also present in the
lighter rump trait, where many chimney swifts also show a light rump. These
traits seem to be highly dependent on the light conditions during
observation. I have included some photos of the Valco bird that show
potentially contradictory characteristics (potentially due to the lighting
conditions)

Low Contrast throat: https://ebird.org/checklist/S169344097

Higher Contrast Throat:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169701997

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169742187

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169493238

Finally, I think that this ID problem is complicated by the possibility of
multiple birds currently residing at Valco Ponds. Some observers have noted
multiple birds on their checklists. I also believe that there are multiple
birds at Valco Ponds, as many of the characteristics I listed above vary
greatly between photos, differing more than I would expect for a single
individual.

If anyone has any additional photos that are not on eBird, I would also
love to see them! Fantastic work by Chris and Brandon for calling attention
to this bird, and great work by all those who took photographs!

I look forward to hearing your opinions and learning more about this
fascinating ID conundrum!

Best,

Luke Pheneger, Boulder

William Anderson, Erie