Date: 4/23/24 11:04 am
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Chase Palm Park April 23
Acting on a tip from Alex Castelein, I went to this location today to see if I could pick up a Black-chinned Hummingbird.  (That would give me 7 species in the county this year, something I've never accomplished in a single year before.) I had excellent luck.  There is a large planting of Pride of Madeira along the north wall near the east end, between the playground and the bandstand.  There was a lot of hummingbird activity here this morning.  Rough estimate: 2 Black-chins (male and female), 2 Anna's females, 1 male Allen's, and at least 2 Rufous/Allen types.
Also at this location, I had a pair of Hooded Orioles, Oak Titmouse pair building a nest, plus lots of the usual park residents.
I checked out another clump of Echium at the very east end of the park next to the green wooden fence.  There I found only Allen's-type hummingbirds, but in a nearby pine and small green tree that I think was a cork oak I had the continuing Plumbeous Vireo (very wet for some reason) and a Warbling Vireo.  Both stayed around and gave very good views.
Elsewhere in the park I had a singing Yellow Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and an unexpected Merlin.  It was in the top of a tree near the playground, being strafed by smaller birds.  Eventually it flew north over the railroad tracks.  A flock of about 30 Cedar Waxwings flew over.  Totally good day in spite of the gray skies.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37236): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37236
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county