Date: 4/21/24 8:25 pm
From: N Drilling via groups.io <dril0008...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Fog victim
This morning I went south of Kimball to try to find the Mountain Plovers
reported there. I had to wait until the fog lifted - overnight there was
snow, then heavy fog. I found a Western Grebe sitting in a grass field,
certainly not its usual habitat. It was sitting up and alert but making no
attempt to flap its wings or move. I'm assuming that the overnight weather
caused the bird to be in this bad predicament, but I'm not sure if it was
grounded by the fog or if it ran into nearby telephone wires in the fog.

I eventually found a pair of Mountain Plovers, at the intersection of
Highway 71 and Road 12. One of the birds kept wiggling around in the same
spot, suggesting that she was creating a depression in the soil to lay her
eggs, similar to the nesting habits of Killdeer.

The other unusual sighting for the day was a small flock of Red-breasted
Mergansers at Bridgeport State Rec Area in Morrill county. This is much
farther west than where they usually are found. The species hadn't been
reported in the county to eBird since 2013 and never reported to eBird at
this particular spot.

All on eBird.

Nancy Drilling
Gordon, NE