Date: 4/21/24 8:07 pm
From: Lani Raymond via groups.io <lanibirder...>
Subject: [AKBirding] Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival
We in Homer are hoping lots of folks will be coming down for our Kachemak
Bay Shorebird Festival May 8-12th. The Program and Registration are on
their website, https://kachemakshorebird.org/ Many events and trips to
pick from, interesting speakers and something for everyone besides the
shorebirds and other wonderful migrants coming through! The Keynote Speaker
is Ted Floyd, the long-time editor of *Birding Magazine* who has written
five books on birding including the *Smithsonian Field Guide to the Birds
of North America*.

Several shorebirds have been seen already: GREATER YELLOWLEGS,
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER, WILSON'S SNIPE and species
still here from winter--ROCK SANDPIPER AND DUNLIN. Other migrants so far:
SANDHILL CRANE, TRUMPETER SWAN, BRANT, GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE,
CACKLING GOOSE, EURASIAN WIGEON and LAPLAND LONGSPURS have also recently
shown up. The Festival keeps track of the species seen during the Festival
and has recorded a high of 143 total species, with the average about 130
species.

NOTE: to see what birds are being seen here in Homer anytime, go to the
Kachemak Bay Birders' website, kachemakbaybirders.org. In the right hand
column click on* eBird Sightings Map *to go to our map and listing of the
most recent species seen in the last 14 days within 30 miles from Homer.
This is always very useful, especially during the Festival.